help with locating a birth certificate Victoria, Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with locating a birth certificate Victoria, Australia

My ancestor Andrew James Coles was supposedly born at Eaglehawk in Victoria in 1858, according to later records.
    I have what is supposed to be his Birth Certificate details, 1858 page 144 vol 412, yet Vic BDM tell me this reference is not part of their sequence .
    Can anyone point me in the right direction to work out where the reference number can be searched or where i can get the correct details
    Brian
    avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
    researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

I can’t find a child with the forenames Andrew James in either order between 1850 and 1870 registered either Eaglehawk or Bendigo (of which Eaglehawk is a suburb). I have been looking here

Comment

GL
      That is who i have been in contact with as well but they tell me that the reference details i have dont relate to Victoria.
      It may well be that he was born elsewhere and the reference details may be correct.
      Maybe the reference details are from England, Wales or Western Australia and i was hoping someone might recognise them.
      It appears some of my ancestors were poor record keepers or had a few secrets
      Brian
      researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

Does he have any siblings born in the years before or after him? Sometimes they didn't register the whole family, even though he is born after the beginning of civil reg (1855).

might be worth finding out when local church records began and seeing if you can find a baptism.

where did you get the birth reg details?

Comment

where did the reference come from?
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

The reference details came as a 'hint' on Family Tree but the Eaglehawk reference is on his death certificate
            Brian

ps
            Parents arrived from England 1847
            Older brother b 1850 and older sister b 1849 in South Australia
            Death cert says 53 yrs old (at death) 10 yrs in Vic and 43 Yrs in NSW
            none above details backed up by hard evidence
            Brian
            Last edited by 2weis; 05-01-21, 21:32. Reason: more details

Comment

A little bit of digging reveals the 144-412 is actually the reference for A J Coles son George Henry born 1888 in South Australia
              I look like i will have to start at the beginning to try and unravel this one
              Brian

Comment

Unless they went back to England then it must be in Aus? You just have parents crossing and no further documents?
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I know the name mentioned is Cole, rather than Coles....but given the Eaglehawk connection, which was an area in Bendigo and scene of a gold rush in the 1850s, this seemed worth a mention.

There is an article in Trove for 1858 dealing with a story of a theft of gold and other articles from a James and Jane Cole by the brother of James (Reuben Cole) and his nephew Samuel Mason. The theft seems to have taken place in England, but indicates James had recently returned from Australia and was planning to go back there.
                  If any of these names fit, this is the link to the article.

MARINE BOARD.—C. M. Maxwell, Esq., was unanimously appointed Senior Warden of the Port, at a meeting holden at the Port Office on Wednesday. NEW MANAGEMENT.—We understand that Mr. ...

If these names fit your family, the dates involved suggest that Andrew James Coles may have been born in England, rather than Australia

Beverley

Comment

Thanks for the replies
                    I am going to try and use the information from this branch to give me more information and then i can maybe iron out the wrinkles.
                    I feel that he was born in Australia but i have discovered there is still a lot of information i havent sifted thru yet
                    Brian

Comment

Where were his children born? If in victoria, their births will record his birthplace and age. If in south australia, you'll get less info than english births.

it's possible he lived in eaglehawk as a child, and either he or the informant at death thought that was his birthplace.

Comment

Just had a look on GRO index for birth of an Andrew James or James Andrew with surname as COLE or COLES. No results.

Comment

GRO appears to be British but i am convinced he was born in Australia and realise his birth may not be registered.
                          I have just looked at his older sisters B-C and she was born in South Australia in 1949
                          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by 2weis View Post
                            GRO appears to be British but i am convinced he was born in Australia and realise his birth may not be registered.
                            I have just looked at his older sisters B-C and she was born in South Australia in 1949
                            Brian
                            I know that LOL. I was just checking to make sure the mother had not returned to UK to have the child or been on a visit home when the child chose to appear. It happens - my father’s uncle and his wife married in England, emigrated to Australia, wife came home to have 1st child and returned to Australia three months after the birth. Birth registered in England. 2nd child was born and registered in Australia.

Comment

Working...
                            X