Langbridge / Naylor Family 1800's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Langbridge / Naylor Family 1800's

Apologies for this, as my last post was a bit of a conundrum also.

I'm trying to unpick the reason why an ancestor appeared to change his surname. I know there can be a few reasons, but this one I can't work out.

Squire Langbridge born c1845 in Wakefield, Yorkshire (Father James, Mother Ann) appears on both the 1851 and 1861 census as Langbridge, then he disappears.

In 1871, a Squire Naylor appears in Sheffield with the same rough birth year, same birthplace, same occupation and on his marriage certificate to Sarah Maria Brooker in 1871 it lists his father as James (though it says James Naylor instead of Langbridge). James looks to have died somewhere between the 1861 and 1871 census.

At first I thought it was just a massive coincidence, but when I look at the Langbridge household in 1841, its as follows

York St, Leeds
    James Langbridge Age 30 1811
    Ann Langbridge Age 25 1816
    George Langbridge Age 4 1837
    Maria Langbridge Age 2 1839
    Sarah Naylor Age 25 1816
    Mary Naylor Age 0 1841
    Emma Brooke Age 20 1821

This takes away some of the doubt that its a coincidence, with the two Naylors in that household 4 years before Squire arrives.

What I can't find is, who is the Ann that is shown as Langbridge? I cannot find a marriage record. If her maiden name was Naylor, it would sort of explain things a bit. Could Ann and Sarah be sisters? Still puzzling as to why Squire would ditch his fathers name after his death.

Any help welcome, as I'm going round in circles with it.

Thanks

Squire Langbridge mother name is Ann Naylor - There is a copy of the birth cert on ancestry.

His record of his baptism is also on there. Confusingly there are entries on the same day for George dob 15 Apr 1835 and Maria dob 26 Dec 1837 - but states the parents are James & Sophia, not James & Ann like Squire dob 29 Dec 1843

Next day there are 2 more baptism parents George & Mary Langbridge.

One of my ancestors swapped their names and ended up with MMN - don't know why though.

You can order a copy of his will for £1.50 - doubt it will give you answers on the name - but could piece some things together for you
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 03-01-21, 23:16.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Did you look at the actual image of that 1841 Census, because that explains a lot.

The Langbridge and Naylors are separate households at the same address, shown by the single line between Maria Langbridge and Sarah Naylor

James Langbridge Age 30 1811 Shoemaker
      Ann Langbridge Age 25 1816
      George Langbridge Age 4 1837
      Maria Langbridge Age 2 1839

Sarah Naylor Age 25 1816 Flax Spinner
      Mary Naylor Age 8 months 1841
      Emma Brooke Age 20 1821 Flax Spinner

My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

According to someone trees on ancestry James married Sophia Hilton 28 Aug 1826 and had 6 children, he then married Ann Naylor and had 4 children (including Squire) - it could all be wrong, but solves the mystery of the baptism record.

I am not sure what info you already have, so have not put all details down as you may already have them, as this doesn't solve the name change mystery.

Ancestry is still free at via my library I have just checked, so you could look there as there are many records.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

There is a marriage for a James Langbridge Shoemaker to Sophia Hilton in 1826
          Witnesses Benjamin Taylor and Robert Hargrave

The only item on the certificate is that the marriage was by Banns ................... but IF this is your James,and the birth in 1811 is accurate, then he would have only been 15.
          Yorkshire, Bishop's Transcripts Of Marriages
          James
          Langbridge
          -
          Sophia
          Hilton
          Leeds
          Yorkshire (West Riding)
          England
          Leeds, St Peter
          28 Aug 1826
          Leeds
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I do have the link to Sophia Hilton, I should have included in the original post. She was James Langbridge's first wife and died in 1839. There was also a Sophia Langbridge born and died in 1839 and the records of death are on subsequent pages. I can only assume both mother and daughter died during childbirth.

I saw the records of baptisms all on the same day. Squire's older siblings must not have been baptised originally and were all done when Squire was born.

I did a quick search on ancestry and it appears that someone has an extended tree on there with photographs are records that they have ordered. I just don't have a full subscription aa I opted for FMP

The confirmation than Ann was a Naylor though is certainly welcomed, thanks for that. At least I have spent all my time doing a tree where none of them are blood relatives.

Comment

Cbcarolyn, you mentioned ancestry was free at the moment, where do I access that from?

Comment

Sylvia, Thanks for the marriage record, it is the correct one. His age appears to be 15 but has been rounded down on the 1841 census. He was actually born 1806/1807

Comment

Originally posted by Gmelliottuk View Post
                  Cbcarolyn, you mentioned ancestry was free at the moment, where do I access that from?
                  I think that Carolyn access Ancestry via her local library, I know that some libraries have either Ancestry or FMP for library card holders to use for free from home. Not quite sure how it works though.. praps need to investigate.

I was going to suggest the name change as that the parents weren't married but the mum took on the surname to appear married. [I have had this in my tree and then the 'parents' actually married 20 yrs after having a family!]

ETA: you need to go to your libraries home page mine [Nottingham] has a Heritage page and you need to use your library card and a pin number. [I think I had to go into the library and get the pin in person, though that it might be they will send out a pin virtually]
                  Last edited by Darksecretz; 04-01-21, 09:47.
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

join your local library on line, or log in if you are already a member and see what they have to offer. I am not sure if you have not joined already how you do it online. I am fortunate enough to have 3 library memberships Beds, Milton Keynes and Herts as joined them long before lockdown. (message me if you are not sure and let me know your library and I can look for you)

If your library is closed and it has ancestry available normally on the premises I am fairly sure they should offer it at home, as this is something Ancestry has offered.

Person on ancestry has photos and certs like you say.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Sorted! Rotherham Library issued the code and link over email. Looks like the tree that has been posted with documents is someone in my wife's direct line. His father is my wife's GG.

He hasn't posted since 2012 though and when I click his name, it says 'page no longer available'

Seems he is the same person that posted on this site and brought me here via google. I did try and message but he may have passed in the last 8 or 9 years

Comment

Sorted! Rotherham Library issued the code and link over email. Looks like the tree that has been posted with documents is someone in my wife's direct line. His father is my wife's GG.

He hasn't posted since 2012 though and when I click his name, it says 'page no longer available'

Seems he is the same person that posted on this site and brought me here via google. I did try and message but he may have passed in the last 8 or 9 years
                        that is great, he had a lot of info, although no mention of why name change.

Maybe he fell out with father? Does the father have a will? might be interesting to get it for £1.50 and Squires
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

I'll certainly have a look for one. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

join your local library on line, or log in if you are already a member and see what they have to offer. I am not sure if you have not joined already how you do it online. I am fortunate enough to have 3 library memberships Beds, Milton Keynes and Herts as joined them long before lockdown. (message me if you are not sure and let me know your library and I can look for you)

If your library is closed and it has ancestry available normally on the premises I am fairly sure they should offer it at home, as this is something Ancestry has offered.
                            Person on ancestry has photos and certs like you say.
                            yep our LSL has Ancestry and I checked this morning and their bundle is 'Ancestry Library edition' which by the looks of it seem to cover WW subs.. which is good to know!! My own subs run out next week and I'm debating whether to hang on and just use the library one saving me the hassle of subbing! Though I'm not sure just what you can access.. [didn't look!]
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

the difference with ancestry at the library you do not use your account, FMP and BNA you can use your own account in the libraries.

...but FMP you can't use your own account at home atm either.

So if you want to search with your own tree/account you can't. if you don't have much use for WW you could save some pennies by looking at WW whilst it is available, and just get local.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Yeah I read earlier that theres limited funtionality when it comes to trees, etc amd it doesn't link to Family Tree Maker like your own account would.

From what I've seen today, I haven't been blocked from any records, so other than having to enter stuff manually on my tree, it's pretty good.

Comment

As far as I know you see all the records, and it will behave the same as if you were in the library. You can download the documents etc
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Is there a way of contacting somebody through ancestry without having a full personal subscription? The library version doesn't seem to have the member search.

The person I referred to above that is in my wife's direct line, looks like they logged in sometime in the last 2-6 days (found when trying to use the member search on my personal account.

Comment

Working...
                                    X