Family History Goals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family History Goals

New Year always gives you the chance to re-assess your Family History research work and set yourself new goals and targets for the following year. In previous years I have stumbled along without a plan or real structure to my research and ended up wasting literally months of my time, on aimless and pointless searches. A few years ago I decided to set myself targets and goals each year, to help me to maintain focus. Not everyone will need this, we all work differently and if you have your own methods and they work for you, then definitely stick to it! I have found that I need a more structured approach, this has benefited me enormously over the recent years. That doesn't mean that you can't dive off down a few rabbit holes every once in a while, thats all part of the fun!

The key thing of course, before you set yourself new goals, is to review your goals from the previous year, to see how you faired against the target you set yourself.

Here's my yearly review;

It’s that time of year again, time for my ‘End of Year Report’, time to see if I managed to stay on course with my Genealogy Goals, or see if I ended up being side tracked chasing…
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Here are my goals and targets for 2021

I love the idea of setting myself Genealogy Goals each year, realistic ones, not pie in the sky things, but real achievable targets. This helps maintain focus and prioritise what you are working on…

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
      Here are my goals and targets for 2021

I love the idea of setting myself Genealogy Goals each year, realistic ones, not pie in the sky things, but real achievable targets. This helps maintain focus and prioritise what you are working on…

And you still have time to go to work?
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Oh my goodness, that's a lot of goals.

Mine are the 52 ancestors, 52 weeks.
        and
        To try to discover the authenticity of others assertions that George Randolph died 1800 in Lydd, Kent, was a descendant of the Randolph's of Biddenden. I have my doubts, only because I have read a published article following the Biddenden family which asserts that the male line died out within the next generation. This has been a dangling carrot for a few years but I am pretty sure the only way I am going to be able to fully research this is by going to Maidstone archive. So maybe if things get back to some form of normal post vaccines and I have a matching pair of shiny new knee's it may be a possibility that I could be able to confirm or deny this part of my ancestry.
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post

And you still have time to go to work?
          only sometimes.............shhhhh

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
            Oh my goodness, that's a lot of goals.

Mine are the 52 ancestors, 52 weeks.
            and
            To try to discover the authenticity of others assertions that George Randolph died 1800 in Lydd, Kent, was a descendant of the Randolph's of Biddenden. I have my doubts, only because I have read a published article following the Biddenden family which asserts that the male line died out within the next generation. This has been a dangling carrot for a few years but I am pretty sure the only way I am going to be able to fully research this is by going to Maidstone archive. So maybe if things get back to some form of normal post vaccines and I have a matching pair of shiny new knee's it may be a possibility that I could be able to confirm or deny this part of my ancestry.
            Always put more on, allows for some wriggle room then.

Good luck with your dangling carrot!

Comment

So how did 2021 end up from a genealogy perspective compared to the goals that I had previously set myself??? Covid obviously impacted on so many of the things that we did or sadly didn't do last year and it will continue to have an impact on our lives moving forwards into 2022. But looking past that for a moment, here's my end of year report.

As 2021 has drawn to a close, it’s that time of the year to look back and reflect on my genealogy achievements and see how I did, compared to the goals that I set myself at the beginning of t…

Comment

Hi Paul,

Last year I started using your family sheets for my Dad's paternal side,and it was very helpful. There are far too many Georges in this tree! I was able to find siblings for each generation, and then I began researching the siblings children. Wow ! I found that I wasn't the first person in the family to emigrate, boo hoo. in the mid 1850's one family had left London to go Australia, moved back after ten year and resettled in London for several years and then upped to Omaha, Nebraska and stayed there. Another had settled in South Africa, another in New Zealand.

This year I am going to use your sheets again for Dad's maternal side, and see who or what pops out of the woodwork.

But my first goal is to put all the genealogy sites and passwords into a book. Then type up a sheet with the sites on to use as cheat sheet. Hopefully this will mean that I won't have to go back as often wondering if I have looked at the site.

bcbrit
                George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

A new year and a whole new set of genealogy goals! A year of consolidation is the plan……..

It feels somewhat strange setting these goals for 2022, whilst we are living with so much uncertainty in our day to day lives, but all I/we can do, is try and maintain a sense of normality, whateve…

Comment

I haven't set any goals but just filed all the parish records I have taken off either FMP or Ancestry in the last year.

I have a spread sheet of all my direct ancestors which I did when working and needs updating. Retired 9 years ago!!

Spent the last couple of weeks doing that and just have A B C initials to do. Feel I am getting more organised again.

Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Working...
                    X