Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military.

Hi All
    Happy New Year to you all, hopefully someone maybe able to help me on this. When my Mother died i went through her personal effects and came across a WW1 Medal it says
    The Great War for Civilisation, and around the edge of medal it says W Nicholls, GS 20486 PTE. R FUS i obviously know what all this means but, i cant seem to find out what part of the Family he belonged to, My Mothers maiden name was Bartlett and she married my Father Alfred Percy Nicholls, i know its a lot to ask with just an initial, maybe someone can throw some light on this please.
    Many Thanks
    John.

Would Alfred Percy Nicholls be the son of William George Nicholls & Laura Ethel Jordan?

Beverley

Comment

Hi yes Alfred iPercy Nicholls was my Father

Comment

I guess you have already explored the possibility that W.Nicholls could be your grandfather William?

Beverley

Comment

Sorry just looked closely on edge of coin with a magnifying glass and his number is 20485 not 20486

Comment

Were your grandparents and family in the same part of the country? and where was that?
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by john.nicholls View Post
              Sorry just looked closely on edge of coin with a magnifying glass and his number is 20485 not 20486
              A very quick search of of forces-war-records.co.uk gave these two results for Nicholls with service number 20485:
              William Nicholls GS/20485 Private 1914 Royal Fusiliers
              W Nicholls 20485 Private 1918 Royal Fusiliers (London Regiment)
              I’m sure someone else can follow up via Ancestry, FMP or National Archives.

Christine

PS Just found his medal card in the National Archives. https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/D4253841

You can download it for free from there if you sign in, but it’s also probably on Ancestry/FMP if you have a sub.
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

sorry missed the post with new number, no hits on FMP with that number, but Ancestry medal roll only and tells no more really, confirms it is William and served until 7.3.19.

FMP links to NA (as above)

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/D4253841 although assume same record on Ancestry?
                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 03-01-21, 20:51.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

The medal award rolls show he served in France & Flanders 2 Mar 1916 - 29 Jan 1918 with the 12th Battalion Royal Fusiliers, and then 30 Jan 1918 - 7 Mar 1919 with the 10th Battalion.

Comment

The record on NA is medal card different to record Ancestry, no dob, address or NoK etc
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

If William Nicholls married Laura Ethel Jordan 1915, and Alfred Percy Nicholls, their son was born 22 Jun 1920, that could well fit with the dates of service (post #7). I think your grandfather is likely to be the owner of the medal

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                        Were your grandparents and family in the same part of the country? and where was that?
                        Ealing Middlesex

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                          If William Nicholls married Laura Ethel Jordan 1915, and Alfred Percy Nicholls, their son was born 22 Jun 1920, that could well fit with the dates of service (post #7). I think your grandfather is likely to be the owner of the medal
                          Yes
                          Problem is i know he served in the Royal Fusiliers his records show he had 3 service numbers being : WR 311604 (Royal Engineers)
                          and G/26319, 330521 ( Royal Fusiliers) .

Comment

I've checked out details of William on National Archives, unfortunately it doesn't give any details on his Family or where he's from, so looks like i will have to pay to find out. I'm on Ancestry and My heritage so i will scrutinise all WW1 records today and see what happens, thanks all for your help so far.

Comment

Post 7 next of kin address for W Nicholls is Ealing, W.

I had found a record in Forces War Records which gave full address but that info has disappeared from the site but as follows

W Nicholls Sth Ealing
                              Pte 10th Royal Fusiliers 20485
                              Ref Great War National Roll

He volunteered in 1915 and on completing his training was sent to France where he took part in the engagements on the Somme and at Bapaum, Ypres and Quesnoy and was wounded.

He holds the General Service and Victory Medals and was demobilised in April 1919

88 Darwin Road, Sth Ealing, W5

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by john.nicholls View Post

Yes
                                Problem is i know he served in the Royal Fusiliers his records show he had 3 service numbers being : WR 311604 (Royal Engineers)
                                and G/26319, 330521 ( Royal Fusiliers) .
                                This is a different man to the one you started with

It maybe that they are just not available, many were destroyed.

GS 20485 PTE. R FUS

The TNA link is on Christines post to your man:

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post

A very quick search of of forces-war-records.co.uk gave these two results for Nicholls with service number 20485:
                                William Nicholls GS/20485 Private 1914 Royal Fusiliers
                                W Nicholls 20485 Private 1918 Royal Fusiliers (London Regiment)
                                I’m sure someone else can follow up via Ancestry, FMP or National Archives.

Christine

PS Just found his medal card in the National Archives. https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/D4253841

You can download it for free from there if you sign in, but it’s also probably on Ancestry/FMP if you have a sub.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

sorry posts crossed with Vera.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

In 1922 William & Ethel Nicholls are on the Electoral Roll for 88 Darwin Road. Also registered are what I assume to be lodgers, James & Minnie Wright.

Added: By 1930 the electoral roll has the occupants as William George Nicholls & Laura Nicholls.

Comment

Laura's middle name was Ethel. I assume Laura and Ethel in post #18 are one and the same person

Beverley

Comment

Working...
                                      X