Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photographs, fashion and family links in Canterbury.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah yes, good spot ,Jill. The more I look the more I think his eyes are a quite different shape too. Oh well, back to the drawing board. I'll see if some facial recognition software can help at least comparing some of the album photos which I think are the same person.

I keep wondering if I should use some tweezers to see if I can get them out and see if anything is written on the backs.

Thanks for those links, Galloway Lass.
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
      Am I imagining things but is there not a tool somewhere that looks for the “same” faces and also at different ages in photos? MyHeritage is ringing a vague bell but not at all certain.

UPDATE I think this is what I was thinking of

https://www.familytreemagazine.com/w...ompare-a-face/

FURTHER UPDATE
      Here’s another one that I have just found. Item 5 in the list.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-fasc...-search-faces/
      I remember looking at some of these before and had no success - just tried second one and it times out, maybe done something wrong. Loaded my album of faces and hit compare on a few and timing out. One should match another. Be interested to know if anyone has had any success.

Re photo - I can't see a likeness in the lady but thought eyes looked similar on man - but as Jill points out maybe gained more hair :(
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Sorry, Jill, I called you Carolyn. I've fixed it with an edit now.
        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Woohoo! I've spend ages carefully sliding all the photos out of the fragile album, looking for clues of dates from the photographer's marks on the backs but I also struck gold! One out of nearly 50 images had names on the back!

IMG_1516.jpg back of 1516.jpg

Esther DRAYSON and George James CRISP

Comment

Great news, at least it didn't say Mum like one of mine!
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Just knowing the photographer may help you narrow down the date and the possibilities.

I have Crisps in my tree, but no George James.

Comment

Jill, I actually found a few different photographers so now I need to collate a big spreadsheet and try and make sense of it all. There was quite a bit of helpful information and clues on the internet about the dates when they were in business to it will take a while to pull it all together. I did some very quick searches for those two names and the results were not clear cut about who they were or the connections between them. I was hoping to go straight to a birth date for him but he didn’t come up in Kent so I need to delve deeper. How old do you think she is?

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                  How old do you think she is?
                  So difficult to tell as that hairstyle is severe and very ageing, around 30?

Comment

And the photographer's mark is pre 1864 so she should be born around 1830 +-5 maybe? I’ll have another search

Comment

Ah, I think I have found him, already in my tree but wrongly transcribed as George F CRISP. Great -that’s a good starting point and some laptop entertainment for this evening.

Off out for a walk now before it gets dark and cold again.

Comment

I wonder whether George James Crisp born Sept quarter 1863 Eastry district, Kent might be a candidate for the baby? Oddly one of my baby Crisps died in Eastry district in Feb 1841.

Comment

Yes, that’s the one I think it is. He's the brother in law (wife’s brother) of our John Frank BARBER.

We must delve deeper because it sounds as if there may well be a link between your Crisps and mine.

Edit to add his sister is Eliza Crisp b 1865 in Deal, Kent

Comment

When I scanned mine I did the back and front of every one, and at the time I did try and find info about the photographer, wonder now as I have newspapers and more on line might have another go. Some of mine I think were possibly taken when they were on holiday of some kind and then sent the same pic to several recipients like a postcard.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

OMG this is getting too exciting - I might have to go and have a lie-down . I have just been having a general nose around various search sites and I found this on Family Search

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Couldn't believe my eyes! Look at this very first picture in my album

IMG_1499.jpg

Comment

Wow!

Re my Crisps, GGGF retired to Kent having been born in St Clement Danes in central London, his father John Crisp is my brick wall, he retired there to another son's property in Ightham around 1841 which had come his son's way through marriage. John Crisp wasn't born in Kent, he's at Ightham on the 1841 census not born in county. I think my baby Crisp wo died was being boarded out to the country as her parents had a grocers in unhealthy Stepney, her sibs were with grandad in 1841 apart from a toddler who was a few doors away from his aunt in leafy Lewisham.

Comment

Possibly just a coincidence then but I'll keep all that in mind, Jill, and let you know if anything links up.

Comment

Someone on Ancestorian has just told me about an online event about Dating Old Photographs. It is organised by Glamorgan FHS but is open to everyone if anyone is interested.

Comment

Just had to show you this one! Have you ever seen such a precocious little Victorian madam ?

Comment

The photographer did well to get her to be still for the long exposure time needed, though she looks a bit lost stuck at the bottom of the picture with no toy or prop to hold.

Comment

amazing how they dressed them great photo
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X