finding the 1st wife help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
    Brain is back in gear and I think / hope I have it.
    Starting from the 9 marriages of James Mitchell in Bradford 1871 - 1876 (in case he remarried very quickly) I noted all the ones after 1Q 1871 which it could not be as the census on which he is single was 2 April so that’s 2Q. Having got all the possible brides’ forenames and surnames, I worked through the forenames to find a matching death in Bradford between 2Q 1871 and all of 1876 for a MITCHELL woman who would be roughly the same age as James ought to have been given he was actually born 1852.
    I came up with two Marys and two Isabellas. From the marriage indexes that gave me Mary WATERHOUSE and Mary APPLEYARD and Isabella MIDDLETON and Isabella HEAP.
    Back to Yorkshire records on ancestry as FMP was surprisingly not much help. Then I hit paydirt!

23 January 1875 after Banns at St. Paul, Shipley James MITCHELL Bachelor of full age, warehouseman, residing Shipley. Father James MITCHELL police-officer to Isabella MIDDLETON Spinster of full age, weaver, residing Shipley. Father Thomas MAUDE Blacksmith. Witnesses William BATTLEFIELD and James CRABTREE.
    The image of the certificate is on ancestry in the dataset West Yorkshire, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1813-1935

From Wikipedia Shipley is a historic market town and civil parish in the City of Bradford, West Yorkshire, England.

GRO Death Indexes has this;
    MITCHELL, ISABELLA 22
    GRO Reference: 1876 M Quarter in BRADFORD YORKSHIRE Volume 09B Page 6
    I can’t find a parish burial image for her either on ancestry or FMP.
    It looks like James did not wait that long before marrying again to Clara.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to find this, linked to the birth cert i got and info posted above, it certainly seems like the right people.

Also thanks to vera for the grave details. And everyone else who has helped.

Question now comes of how/why my Dad had been told his middle name was Henry. Is there another one linked to us? was it to send people off randomly, or to cover up his 1st marriage? guess i will never know. BUT we have sorted out james mitchell.
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

i did add a post but seems to be here. I ordered birth certs and from them worked out James Henry is NOT my man, mine is simply James Mitchell (as you lovely people worked out without buying certs), this came to be via the mothers maidne name on birth cert matching the marriage and her being Mary Gormell/Gornell depending on transcription/writing etc.

I have no idea of why my Dad said his middle name was Henry (but this is info i had written down from when i was 13yrs old and did a basic tree for guides, when i say basic it consisted of me n my sis, my parents, grandparents, great grandparents etc none of the extra siblings etc)
      **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
      X