No announcement yet.

Descendants of travellers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Joseph the Shunter on the LNER? Ancestry have a 1939 Railways Employment record of a Joseph Huteson b 9 Dec 1904 joining in 1919 aged 14. Not much more info on that record and can't see any more. Maybe some other source for these records with more info. At aged 14 be would not likely be living alone.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
      Is Joseph the Shunter on the LNER? Ancestry have a 1939 Railways Employment record of a Joseph Huteson b 9 Dec 1904 joining in 1919 aged 14. Not much more info on that record and can't see any more. Maybe some other source for these records with more info. At aged 14 be would not likely be living alone.

Vera
      Don't think he's yours. The above is on GRO registered Lincoln March Q 1905. No MMN

Vera

Comment

I did have a look around to see if I could find anything sometimes another pair of eyes brings something up, but they do seem to be 'missing'. I did look at Annies siblings to see if the children were maybe with them, guess you had done this already. I didn't manage to find Half sister Lily Wheeler, parents 1911 census say she should be alive, as Ivy died as a child. Have you got her?

Last edited by cbcarolyn; 23-12-20, 09:13.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

My grandmother was registered as Freda Green -------- Brown. [names changed] The reason was that her mother and father were not married, so she used her partner's last name for the daughters middle name. Later on when the parents married my gran just dropped her 'last name' and used her middle name as her last. if that makes sense?

Sometimes if you can't find someone its a good idea to wildcard... so something like Hut**** instead of the whole name. [even better if there is a phonetic matching] but fuzzy matching sometimes helps too.

I don't use FMP but have used it occasionally, I just can't get my head around their search system.. it just overloads my head!

Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

presumably this is Josephs death?

Name: Joseph Huteson
            Death Age: 65
            Birth Date: 9 Dec 1904
            Registration Date: Apr 1970
            Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
            Registration District: Don Valley
            Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
            Volume: 2b
            Page: 1240

Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

Don't think he's yours. The above is on GRO registered Lincoln March Q 1905. No MMN

Vera
              Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
              presumably this is Josephs death?

Name: Joseph Huteson
              Death Age: 65
              Birth Date: 9 Dec 1904
              Registration Date: Apr 1970
              Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
              Registration District: Don Valley
              Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
              Volume: 2b
              Page: 1240
              I think that is the chap Vera found in 1939, transcribed as Hutason in Ancestry

His birth registered in Sept qtr 1905 in Sheffield
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Just catching up on the replies, thanks for everyone's help. It will probably remain as a mystery what happened to the kids before Doris reappeared to get married.

With the searches it's difficult to search alternatives for Huteson without knowing how they pronounced it. I've assumed rightly or wrongly that it's "Hootson". Someone taking the census could easily get it wrong if it was something like "hut-i-son"

Comment

It's only taken me a year, but I've got there in the end!!

The mother Annie Huteson was admitted to a workhouse in 1907, which is obviously why her kids weren't with her on the later census records.

Doris is on the 1911 census but mis-transcribed as Doris Hickson Rodgers. She is shown as 'foster daughter' and is in a house in Sheffield with Fredrick Wildgoose, Elizabeth Hayles (Potentially spelt incorrectly) and J Potts.

What tied it all together is that Doris' address on her marriage certificate in 1924 is Hessle Road, Sheffield. Searching the 1921 census for Hessle Road, a family appear with a John William Potts, Elizabeth Potts and Doris Huston Rodgers Potts, so it has to be the same one.

Lots of mis-spellings and different uses of her name made this one really difficult to unpick!!

Still not sure whether her father was actually from the travelling community, but at least I can account for her movements between birth and marriage now.

Comment

good find, so you have a complete set of records for her now?
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

For both Doris and her mother yes, finally!

Comment

It may be unconnected, but in 1916 there was a Joseph Rogers, Hawker, aged 39 married with 1 child (at least that's what he said) appearing before the Sheffield Tribunal for exemption from being conscripted. The result was that he was to register, ie he failed. Given his age though, he may not have served abroad.

Comment

That sounds interesting, definitely. He'd be the right sort of age as well. Annie was born 1884 so he'd be a bit older. Where did you see that record?

I also found yesterday that on the Sheffield Workhouse admissions that had Annie going in February 1907, also had an Ernest Huteson (stated as illegitimate) admitted in March 1907, with his birth shown as the same date. I'm taking from that, that Annie went into the workhouse pregnant, with what was essentially her third child out of wedlock.

Comment

Working...
                          X