Issues with ancestry messaging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with ancestry messaging?

Anyone having issues with ancestry not notifying you with messages?

i click on the mail button on ancestry, it loads some messages. Click on "see all messages" then it takes forever to load.... Then shows me new messages? These conversations don't appear when clicking on the mail button?

It’s been like that for me for months now.

Comment

I am getting the emails to say I have a new message and the little blue number shows when I go to the site.

BUT when I hover over the Envelope Icon it looks as though there are no new messages. However, if I click on the icon I get the latest message showing up after a brief period of watching a spinning wheel - the length of waiting time will at be our end, I don't have to wait long.

I then see the messages/conversations in the order of newest first. I have to search for older ones, or scroll down, and then by clicking on their names I see that conversation.. You can search for a surname/keyword/user and then look in the messages tab to get all the people you've talked to about that name.

I like the new system so long as I remember that the envelope is telling fibs.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
        I am getting the emails to say I have a new message and the little blue number shows when I go to the site.

BUT when I hover over the Envelope Icon it looks as though there are no new messages. However, if I click on the icon I get the latest message showing up after a brief period of watching a spinning wheel - the length of waiting time will at be our end, I don't have to wait long.

I then see the messages/conversations in the order of newest first. I have to search for older ones, or scroll down, and then by clicking on their names I see that conversation.. You can search for a surname/keyword/user and then look in the messages tab to get all the people you've talked to about that name.

I like the new system so long as I remember that the envelope is telling fibs.
        P.S. I use Chrome on Ancestry.
        Caroline
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I too have been experiencing problems with their messaging service but have found if I click on the 'see all messages' when I click on the envelope I can then open them but not directly from the envelope. I initially thought it was because recent messages have been from ancestry.com rather than .c0.uk.
          Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

I have just been back in and looked again at the envelope - if I click once I see a list of messages, ignore what I said about hovering, with the newest showing as from last July - a second click opens up the newest one from last week which does not appear in the first click. So basically you need to double click to get the latest messages. (Using Chrome). The dropdown from the envelope says they are all new and they aren't.

I keep saying I'm using Chrome because Ancestry acts differently with different browsers!!
            Caroline

Comment

I use Safari mostly but the laptop is still Windows 10 and there I use Edge. In both browsers when I see a red flag with a number on telling me how many new messages I have, I click on it but it does not take me to it/them. All I get is a dropdown box showing the first few words of a few messages and the name of the sender. The new messages are not shown in that box. To see them I have to move down to the bottom of the box and click on the link to view all messages. Then I have a long wait while the wee circles birl around and eventually I will see the message(s). I have noticed that even if a sequence of messages has built up from one person, the sequence will never show in the initial dropdown box until a message arrives from a completely different user. I find the Google Mail style of sequence/chain of messages a right pain. I also don’t like that they have removed the ability to have message headings. You need to make the first words of any message resemble a heading.
              About the only thing that does work is that I get the emails announcing new messages and they tell me who the sender is.

Comment

Sometimes I get a notification and sometimes not! It is very hit and miss. I absolutely hate it!!!!
                1. I find it difficult to find an old message.
                2. I may or may not be notified.
                3. The tiny box to write your message in is just stupid (yes I know you can enlarge it but it shrinks back again at will)
                4. I thought the little 'time' of it being read was true but I don't believe it is now.
                5. Why on earth does it take so long to open?

Grrrrrrr!
                Anne

Comment

So glad i'm not the only one. I rather like the new messaging system, similar to others i use. Just odd ancestry being as big as it is with the money it has and they can't sort it out.

kinda like how it spazzes out when you go to the DNA page, loading the page then reloading as if you don't have a test, then reloading like normal.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                    I use Safari mostly but the laptop is still Windows 10 and there I use Edge. In both browsers when I see a red flag with a number on telling me how many new messages I have, I click on it but it does not take me to it/them. All I get is a dropdown box showing the first few words of a few messages and the name of the sender. The new messages are not shown in that box. To see them I have to move down to the bottom of the box and click on the link to view all messages. Then I have a long wait while the wee circles birl around and eventually I will see the message(s). I have noticed that even if a sequence of messages has built up from one person, the sequence will never show in the initial dropdown box until a message arrives from a completely different user. I find the Google Mail style of sequence/chain of messages a right pain. I also don’t like that they have removed the ability to have message headings. You need to make the first words of any message resemble a heading.
                    About the only thing that does work is that I get the emails announcing new messages and they tell me who the sender is.
                    I used to do that until I found that double clicking gives the same result.

I have been looking more closely this m0rning and the search is irritating. As people change their user names sometimes and anyway I can't remember them, I was looking for surnames in Messages and it seems that to get very early ones, you need to have opened everything in the left hand pane - sometimes. Sometimes I get the list of contacts who have the name in the text, sometimes it comes up blank with no sorry message,

And a search button would help so you know that it is actually looking for what you wanted, having to press Return is so old hat, and just bring us the spinning wheels -again.

Caroline

Comment

For a while I couldn't see my replies to messages, only what other people wrote. That has stopped, but I too have no new messages, unless I click on the envelope.
                      I use Firefox and Windows 10, and also my Samsung Galaxy s9 browser.

Comment

Working...
                      X