Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth place help please

Hello,

Can anyone make out where Hannah Steel (MN not known) was born - it's transcribed as Vinges, Bucks but that doesn't exist, also what is a Greenwich pensioner (John Steel)? If anyone can find a marriage for them that would be great haha! There is a marriage for somewhere in Devon but I just can't imagine how they'd of met, married there and then ended up in one of the tiniest villages in South Oxfordshire - Ipsden!

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Thanks

Try Vaches which is a hamlet in Aston Clinton parish according to wikipedia.

A Greenwich pensioner is the Royal Navy equivalent of the army’s Chelsea pensioner.

Comment

I wondered if it said Tring? I think the second letter looks like a 'r'.
      Anne

Comment

I think Tring is in Herts and as far as I know always was.
        People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
        Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Could this be the marriage?
          Marriage
          28 Dec 1820
          Dinton, Buckinghamshire, England, United Kingdom
          John Steel to Hannah Coster

Son was born in 1824 so a very late marriage (age wise) for John and Hannah. Hannah would have been about 49 - too old???
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 28-11-20, 22:12. Reason: added info
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Hmmm, doesn't look like Vaches or Tring but the handwriting is so difficult to make out!
            Kat - interesting - seems they were 'old' when they had him so dates for marriage do work for his birth!

Comment

I was convinced second letter was an r, until I found william written on another entry and the I is written same as second letter in this word. So something beginning Vi looks to me as written. So assume enumerator has misheard?
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

there is another marriage for A Hannah Brown to John Steel on 11 Jun 1816 Great Marlow

First witness William Bullock
                Second witness Wildsmith Badger (I love this name )
                Third witness Hester Bullock
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

This is interesting. I found it in a google search. Someone else has this placename in connection with a person’s wife.

The text as far as I can see it (not having a subscription) is;
                  John Fortnam was born on month day 1822, at birth place.
                  John was baptized on month day 1822.
                  John married Jane Fortnam (born Carpenter) on monthday 1848, at age 25 at marriage place.
                  Jane was born circa 1822, in Vinges, Buckinghamshire.
                  Her occupation was Lacemaker.
                  John lived on month day 1848, at address.
                  His occupations were occupation and occupation.
                  John passed away on month day 1883, at age 61.
                  He was buried on month day 1883.

Perhaps someone with a sub could pm you and arrange a lookup or offer to contact the person to see if they can shed further light on the place name?
                  Whatever you do, don’t ask for this kind of help on the FB My Heritage User Group, you will only get a warning from admin there and your request will not get approved for posting. Happened to me a few weeks ago for a similar request for help to contact someone one there who keeps confirming SmartMatches with me and I can’t return the favour. As I am only an uploader, I can’t even pm the person, ask to see their tree, join their family site or contact him in any way at all.

Comment

Aha!! There are 5 trees on ancestry with the couple as found in the link to MyHeritage. Three have Jane Carpenter born at Fingest, Buckinghamshire. One has no details and the other says Wheeler End for birth but residence in 1841 is Fingest.
                    wikipedia again;
                    Fingest is a village in Buckinghamshire, England. It is in the Chiltern Hills near the border with Oxfordshire. It is about six miles WSW of High Wycombe. It lies in the civil parish of Hambleden.

google maps shows that Fingest and Ipsden are only 14 miles apart. Fingest to Wheeler End is 6 miles.

Comment

Phonetically, i can see how you say "Fingest" and get 'Vinges"...

Comment

that makes sense, and not far from Marlow if that is the marriage
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                          there is another marriage for A Hannah Brown to John Steel on 11 Jun 1816 Great Marlow

First witness William Bullock
                          Second witness Wildsmith Badger (I love this name )
                          Third witness Hester Bullock
                          I think Wildsmith Badger was the churchwarden or somesuch at Great Marlow. There are a lot of our One Name study from there and his name crops up a lot in my PR database! Great name!

Fingest ..... yes, that makes perfect sense. If the enumerator was not familiar with the place (not in this area) it could easily sound like Vinges. As for those My Heritage trees .... maybe they just copied a transcription and didn't bother to try and find an actual place?

Anne

Comment

there is a Hannah Brown baptised 29 Jul 1781 at Fingest to Mary and John Brown. No age given on baptism.
                            1841 census shows Hannah Steele as born 1781 so born between 1777-1781
                            Last edited by Katarzyna; 29-11-20, 11:44.
                            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Wow thanks you lovely lot! How much do you think these are right? There is another John Steel/Hannah (Ann) living in Bix married in Crowmarsh - not far from Ipsden at all (5/10 mins) but the dates don't quite match. I do wonder how they met when he came from what would of been quite a way away in those times!
                              Tessie

Comment

In case it's any use here is the MyHeritage entry referred to above;

John Fortnam was born on September 7 1830, in Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England, to Edward Fortnam and Elizabeth Fortnam (born Leaver).
                                Edward was born on November 5 1803, in Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England.
                                Elizabeth was born on February 28 1804, in Haddenham, Buckinghamshire, England.
                                John was baptized on October 31 1830, in Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England.
                                He had 6 siblings: Mary Fortnam, Emily Fortnam, Anne Maria Sumner (born Fortnam), George Fortnam, Jane Fortnam and Sarah Gibbs (born Fortnam).
                                John married Jane Fortnam (born Rogers) on November 4 1854, at age 24 in Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England.
                                Jane was born on May 22 1832, in Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England.
                                They had 9 children: George Fortnam, William Fortnam, Mary Jane Fortnam, James Fortnam, Thomas Edward Fortnam, Susannah Fortnam, Lizzie Louisa Kate Fortnam, Herbert George Fortnam and John Robert Ford (born Fortnam).
                                John lived in 1841, at Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England.
                                He lived in 1851, at Relation to Head of House: Son, Kingston Blount, Oxfordshire, England.
                                He lived in 1871, at Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England.
                                He lived in 1881, at Inn Keeper. Black Boy, Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England.
                                John passed away on December 3 1888, at age 58 in Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England.
                                He was buried on December 6 1888, in Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England.

Comment

Fingest was used in the filming of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang because of the windmill there.

Comment

Working...
                                  X