Tracing the parties involved in house sale 1810

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracing the parties involved in house sale 1810

Is there any way to trace/check a property sale in the early 1800's?

I have an advert for the sale of a house in 1810 in Lincolnshire, I think it's the end of a long line of wills and Deeds of Trust one chap was involved with. He dies in 1824 though there's no sign of him leaving a will. In fact there's very little about him anywhere though his brother and uncle who were in the same area and line of work appears in the papers quite frequently.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Don't know about Lincolnshire Archives but some of my Bedfordshire family were involved in house sales on occasions and the documents available in the Archives list lots of names and descriptions of property boundaries, previous owners etc. I guess it's luck of the draw what has survived but worth contacting them to see what they have.
    Anne

Comment

It's a nightmare right now, I could do with a lottery win to pay all the research fees I'm lining up for when they return back to work properly Knowing my luck the documents will be in a job lot on ebay with no surname listing.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I had a researcher working with me who identified insurance records for a London address that was involved in the research. Don't know if similar records might exist for Lincolnshire?

Comment

If the house is still there the current owners (or their solicitors or their mortgage provider) should have a chain of conveyance bundles going back some years, but not many go back that far. If the house has been demolished the same applies to the property - but with even less chance of success.

It is a surprising fact that property owners consider that they own it because they paid good money for it, and the same applies to the person they bought it from, and then to their vendor and so on. But for ordinary properties ie not castles or palaces, this trail runs cold sooner or later, typically after 100 years or so. So it remains a theoretical possibility that someone might come forward with a claim to the property which predates the earliest in the chain. You can take out insurance against this very cheaply, and I believe that there has never been a payout on one of those policies. It all changed with the establishment of the Land Registry but not all properties are on it.
          People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
          Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
            ...possibility that someone might come forward with a claim to the property which predates the earliest in the chain. You can take out insurance against this very cheaply, and I believe that there has never been a payout on one of those policies. It all changed with the establishment of the Land Registry but not all properties are on it.
            Not sure if that's in regards to the insurance that I mentioned? The records that I was talking about were for the Royal and Sun Alliance for Fire Insurance - again these are for London, and I don't know if there's an equivalent for Lincolnshire.

For anyone researching London (like the Birth Record thread??), here are the references
            https://search.lma.gov.uk/scripts/mw...?SESSIONSEARCH

The researcher found records that show that my ancestor's great uncle was the owner of the building that they lived in in the mid 1800s. Hopefully they got the family discount - apparently they really needed it.

Comment

The insurance I mentioned was just an interesting aside and not meant to be helpful to the OP. I would think that the insurance you mentioned probably only showed that the insured inhabited the property not necessarily owning it.
              People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
              Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Many properties in the village are noted as 17th century though the advert mentioned gardens and orchard. The late 19th century maps show a lot of development and more since on pockets of land that follow boundary lines from years before. The name changes are probably a huge issue too, either the house bore the name of the family at the time of advert or at least identified by their name. Certainly no property of that name around today that's for sure.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                X