Ancestorian Family History Social Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestorian Family History Social Network

I spotted this being mentioned on Twitter yesterday. I'd heard about it before but forgot about it, so just investigated. It looks interesting, especially if you are reluctant to have anything to do with Facebook.

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

I've signed up and joined some surname and location groups so far.
    Caroline
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

This looks interesting. I wonder how wide spread it will turn out to be. I couldn't find any general information 'front page' - have I missed it?
      Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Interesting, thanks for the heads up.
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
          This looks interesting. I wonder how wide spread it will turn out to be. I couldn't find any general information 'front page' - have I missed it?
          There isn't really a Home page - I just searched for groups and names and clicked on Join. There doesn't seem to be much activity yet, but I am sure it will grow.
          Caroline

Comment

OK. Thanks. I think I'll join the Australian bit and see if I can find more about my branch that went there for a few years then came back.
            Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I think I must be missing something - isn't it a forum? Just very pretty? where is the link with FB?
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Carolyn, I think the point is that there isn’t a link to FB so it works in a similar way but without actually being in any way connected to FB.

Comment

So it is just a forum, but offering groups? so like rootschat where they have all the counties as forums, they are using groups instead.

I was thinking that it was pulling out data from FB!

Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I went to register and they already had my email addy because when they set up this group they transferred us all over from their facebook groups. I already belonged to the Suffolk, Norfolk and Essex groups on FB. All very new at the moment but hopefully will grow successfully.
                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I have joined and added a couple of dozen groups for locations and family surnames. Hopefully it will become popular. It looks a lot like Facebook especially in the profile options and how you manage them.

Comment

I've been browsing around but can't find anywhere to search eg for a surname. There are dozens on there already so it would take ages to scroll through the list. Has anyone found a search box? Am I missing something obvious?

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                          I've been browsing around but can't find anywhere to search eg for a surname. There are dozens on there already so it would take ages to scroll through the list. Has anyone found a search box? Am I missing something obvious?
                          If you are logged in and have the homepage up, click on groups then groups all and it's here

Capture1.JPG

Comment

there is a bar that says show my posts in each group and a magnify glass that I assume it searches in each group. Don't think you can search the whole site that I can see.

Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                              I went to register and they already had my email addy because when they set up this group they transferred us all over from their facebook groups. I already belonged to the Suffolk, Norfolk and Essex groups on FB. All very new at the moment but hopefully will grow successfully.
                              It says on the help forum that it is nothing to do with FB, so they shouldn't have shared the info, so not sure how that could have happened
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

If you are logged in and have the homepage up, click on groups then groups all and it's here

Capture1.JPG
                                oops cross posted the box I saw was different.

I think that is just searching the group titles?
                                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 23-11-20, 23:12.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

If you are looking for a family surname group you will get a result by using that searchbox. I found 4 groups that way. I hadn't thought about it not searching sitewide

Comment

Anybody found out yet how to leave a group?

Comment

Got it, I hope! From the homepage, click on the spyglass and there is a drop down menu. UPDATE - If you need to, remember to click on the dropdown arrow at Following and choose Community instead to search through all posts on the site. Mine came up as Following at the top of the choices as for the moment I have chosen to see only posts from the groups I have joined.

Capture1.JPG

Comment

Yes that is where I said, just didn't put a picture

did you find the leave group.

Jury still out for me on it, looks like the muddle of a facebook group, cross between a forum.
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X