German place name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German place name

I have just found the 'Exemption from Internment' certificate for my great grandfather Louis Habbes. Until now I only knew his approx year of birth and that he was born in Germany.

I started to get excited when his place of birth was stated on the certificate, Hermerde.

However I soon got disappointed again when I couldn't find anywhere in Germany with a place name anything like it!

It is not a question of interpreting the document because it is typewritten so definitely no doubt what it says.

Any idea where it could be?
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

could it be a typo or wrongly transcribed from a handwritten document?
    Hemmerde

Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thanks keldon, that is a possibility. I'll investigate further.
      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
      Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thank you so much keldon. It is indeed Hemmerde.......I've just found his baptism on Ancestry!

No wonder I have not been able to find him, his name wasn't Louis. His full name is Everhard Heinrich Ludwig Gabriel Habbes! Obviously used the Anglicised version of his 3rd name.

Definitely the right chap as I have his father's name from his marriage cert and his DOB from the internment cert.

Happy days!
        Devine in Ireland

Comment

Very satisfying result.

Comment

Oh that's the best result! I do love the german names. So mind boggling when everyone has 3-4 christian names, and a lot of them are weird and sometimes downright ugly names. But it refreshing when you research traugott, everhard, christian, rudolf etc over plain john, richard, henry and thomas.

Comment

Good result. I can't take the glory though, it was Google coming up with possible alternatives.
              Phil
              historyhouse.co.uk
              Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Working...
              X