portrait found on dump.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• portrait found on dump.

While trying to work out my biological great great grandfather from my dna matches I came across a connection that had found a portrait on a dump. The connection to me would be the people in the portrait would be the parents in law from the 2nd marriage of my potential gggrandfather. lol
    Charles Fyshe Roberts retired colonel and wife Alice Bradley. I really do wonder how that would end up on a tip. Somebody found them and has been building a tree to try to connect with the family..................................
    A retired colonel.......you would think his family would be proud to have him hanging in their drawing room

that's sad, to think someone would dump a portrait. But I can sort-of understand how it happens.

I've been researching a Victorian mill owner from my home town. He's not that well known as he never seemed to get involved with politics (unlike many of his contemporaries) but his many business interests helped shape the town. His direct line failed with the death of his only grandson who died unmarried aged 29. Grandfather's portrait ended up with one of his nephews (Thank you Thomas for specifying that in your Will). AFAIK the only son from the nephew emigrated to Australia. Would he have taken his great-uncle's portrait with him? (I doubt it) Nephew himself had two marriages, his second wife survived him. I bet her family just dumped it, after all it meant nothing to them.

I hope its still languishing in an attic somewhere, it would be lovely to know this particular gentleman isn't completely forgotten. He died in 1851.
    Vicky

Comment

Unfortunately, what else do you do with photos of peeps that mean nothing to you? I have wondered what would have happened to photos from both my parents' ancestors and side branches if I had not taken up genealogy. Most likely the trash, which is what I think happened to photos that my g'uncle likely had. And there have been other threads about what will happen to things we have gathered during our research.

But what luck for you!!!

Comment

Some get donated to op shops and antique shops. My gran gave two old family bibles to charity in the 70's, when they moved to australia. My grandparents were under the impression they had to be economical with the move, and they didn't recognise the names in the bibles, so they figured why not ? we were all horrified when we learnt of it.

Comment

Working...
        X