1930's burials; Churchyard versus cemetery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1930's burials; Churchyard versus cemetery

Just wondering if anyone has any idea why a burial in the 1930's in a Leicestershire town would be in the churchyard rather than one of the cemteries? It's a one off burial for the family. The burial register notes "Parish of Coalville" though there isn't anything to indicate where, someone has said it's the local parish church rather than a cemetery, the chap involved was a local business owner and survived by wife and children who ended up scattered elsewhere. I've found a couple of much later burials in the churchyard on findagrave (two or three members of a different family though no connection to me). There are only 20 or so listed but the majority are back in the 1800's. The burial register notes "Parish of Coalville" though there isn't anything to indicate where, someone has said it's the local parish church rather than a cemetery.

Most of my lot are buried in Lincolnshire and with the exception of those who lived in the villages all are cemetery burials from the time the cemeteries first appeared in the 1850's.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

There are quite a few burials in the Coalville parish register in the 1930's. Without knowing who you are referring to its difficult to comment, but of the ones I've looked at most have a letter code written at the side indicating a municipal cemetery. So for instance BL = Broom Leys, C = Coalville (London Road)

Comment

I've just done a 'browse' of the register, and it looks like they stopped noting the municipal cemetery after July 1935 (image 305 of 420) but towards the back there are entries noted as having been cremated, so I would suggest that the service was held at the parish church but the burial was elsewhere.

Comment

The register I'm looking at is on fmp. The image is page 272 of burials in the Parish of Coalville.

John Goulson of Belvoir Road buried, Jun 20th 1930 age 68. It appears that the ceremony was conducted by W A J Martyr, the vicar of the Parish Church (St Christ's).

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

There was an article in the Leicester Daily Mercury 3 February 1926 saying that the cemetery at Coalville was almost full, with only room for 70 adults and 20 children, so I wonder if the "C" I referred to earlier was actually cremation rather than Coalville?

The council purchased the land for Broom Leys in 1924, so my guess would be that John is buried there, although it isn't clear from the register.

I know from my own family that the Loughborough burials are presented very similarly, ie recorded in the registers for All Saints but the burials themselves were at the municipal cemetery.

Comment

I seem to think it would be a cemetery burial if only for the fact that the churchyard is small, page 272 has 8 burials the first being in February 1930, John being the last on that page in June. As the church was around 90 years old at the time I have my doubts there would be much room left there.

I've got his certs, baptism & burial register, census returns, his will and around two dozen postcards produced at his photography business along with news cuttings (he sold a motorbike in 1921 for example). About the only thing I'm missing is where he's buried. He may be buried in the churchyard but it's so off the wall compared to everything else I have it just bothers me that the burial register is just refering to the funeral service and neither BNA or FMP have much coverage for the area at that period.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I think it's Christ Church Coalville, so searched the papers and for W A J Martyr, one of the articles 1926

...After the institution and induction tho Rev. W. A. J. Martyr (recently curate of Bath Abbey) to the vicarage of Christ Church, Coalville, Leicestershire...
              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                I think it's Christ Church Coalville, so searched the papers and for W A J Martyr, one of the articles 1926

...After the institution and induction tho Rev. W. A. J. Martyr (recently curate of Bath Abbey) to the vicarage of Christ Church, Coalville, Leicestershire...
                He remained there until 1946.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

The image is of a page of a BURIAL register, so I think the burial would have been in the churchyard of that church. If the graveyard was getting full, then John could have made advance arrangements for his plot.
                  The later pages of the register for 1961 record cremations only - presumably by that time all the plots had been taken and the only interments were of ashes.
                  As far as I know, as well as parish registers, CofE parish churches also have a current service book, recording any service which takes place there, so if a funeral service (but without a subsequent interment in the churchyard) takes place, I would expect it to be recorded in the service book only but NOT in the burial register.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks for that, I'm struggling to look at the entire register just now. The archives are shut, or at least the number is ringing out after a long recorded Covid announcement, the library is open but there wasn't a huge rush of interest when I phoned them. I've tried a couple of Leicestershire groups with no joy too.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                      The image is of a page of a BURIAL register, so I think the burial would have been in the churchyard of that church. If the graveyard was getting full, then John could have made advance arrangements for his plot.
                      The later pages of the register for 1961 record cremations only - presumably by that time all the plots had been taken and the only interments were of ashes.
                      As far as I know, as well as parish registers, CofE parish churches also have a current service book, recording any service which takes place there, so if a funeral service (but without a subsequent interment in the churchyard) takes place, I would expect it to be recorded in the service book only but NOT in the burial register.

Jay
                      Not necessarily. My GG Grandmother is recorded in the burial register of Loughborough All Saints in 1926, but she is was definitely buried in the municipal cemetery - I've seen the plot.

Comment

Working...
                      X