No announcement yet.

Scottish marriage anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did a 5 year either side of age and 2 John's came up, 1851 there is a widower John at Kirkby in Church Street

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
      Did a 5 year either side of age and 2 John's came up, 1851 there is a widower John at Kirkby in Church Street

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Lovely thanks Elaine, I'm pretty sure that is him. It's the lack of Scots info that is frustrating I'm not very good with Scots stuff but even just searching with Hunter plus Margaret as mum bring up nowt.... Praps need to have a rethink.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
        Another thought is the older children are Margaret's and he married her here and changed the children's names. Just a thought as it does happen.
        Agree with Lin. Possible marriage for the couple in Notts. Have searched every which way on SP for birth of William and Hunter and m for John and Margaret, although latter not likely. Nothing showing.

Wonder if dc for Margaret would have recorded previous name. There is a death for a Margaret Osborn 1849 aged 66 Basford

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

Agree with Lin. Possible marriage for the couple in Notts. Have searched every which way on SP for birth of William and Hunter and m for John and Margaret, although latter not likely. Nothing showing.

Wonder if dc for Margaret would have recorded previous name. There is a death for a Margaret Osborn 1849 aged 66 Basford

Vera
          Can you show me where the poss marriage is Vera ? [please] I have looked on my disc but can't see anything obvious.

yes I believe that is her death as John seems to be on his own in 1851. [though living near other relatives]

I doubt very much whether the d/cert will show a previous name though.
          Julie

Comment

Sorry poorly written ........I agree that it is possible John and Margaret married in Eng!and, Mgt having previously been married in Scotland, not that I had identified a marriage in Notts.

Thought William and Hunter may have named one of their children after possible Scottish father ie George but SP m search not matching Peebles births and too many for Glasgow.

Vera

Comment

Sorry poorly written ........I agree that it is possible John and Margaret married in Eng!and, Mgt having previously been married in Scotland, not that I had identified a marriage in Notts.

Thought William and Hunter may have named one of their children after possible Scottish father ie George but SP m search not matching Peebles births and too many for Glasgow.

Vera
              Ahh I see what you mean now.. it is possible that her mn was Kennady/kennedy as one son is bapt John Kennady Osborn 1820, I haven't come across any Kennady/edys at all in the Osborn line.. so it's possible that that name comes from her side. I'm trying [badly atm] to search the children and see if that throws anything up.
              Julie

Comment

Yes the children and or G/children may throw up a clue.

I saw a Tree on Ancestry with a child of ? William b, Thomas Slingsby Osborn 1843 mmn Smith reg Basford d 1845. Maybe a clue in that.

On GRO Thomas Kingsby Osborn mmn Smith. On FMP Thomas Slingsby Osborn b 1843 mmn Smith buried Kirby in Ashfield 5 Jan 1845 St Thomas Anglican

Vera

Comment

Yes the children and or G/children may throw up a clue.

I saw a Tree on Ancestry with a child of ? William b, Thomas Slingsby Osborn 1843 mmn Smith reg Basford d 1845. Maybe a clue in that.

On GRO Thomas Kingsby Osborn mmn Smith. On FMP Thomas Slingsby Osborn b 1843 mmn Smith buried Kirby in Ashfield 5 Jan 1845 St Thomas Anglican

Vera
                  MM that's the trouble, most of the Osborns/ourns/ournes bred like blooming rabbits!.. same names through generations too.

and that is a name I haven't come across yet either.. though I do know that St Thomas's doesn't have a churchyard but there are two big graveyards nearby.
                  I'll have to have a look for that tree, it may be someone I already know of, but it also might be a useful contact to have.
                  Julie

Comment

Does anyone know please if the 1851 scots census is just a transcription or are there images anywhere at all? I'm wondering if there are occupations shown at all. and if they appear in any other scots census before snuffing it.
                    Julie

Comment

Scotlandspeople julie.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                        Scotlandspeople julie.
                        they have images Kyle? I'm struggling sooo many trees have Margaret McClelland as the mother but I'm not so sure.
                        Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

they have images Kyle? I'm struggling sooo many trees have Margaret McClelland as the mother but I'm not so sure.
                          scotlandspeople is the only place you will get images for Scottish censuses.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

scotlandspeople is the only place you will get images for Scottish censuses.
                            Ah right, Thanks GL.

I'll have to see if there is someone with a sub to track this couple down as far as they can on SP then. {I don't have a sub} ahh just looked! no sub but credits! will need to have a thunk and see if I can find the records.
                            Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

Still not identified your Scottish Margaret m to John Osborn in the 1841/1851 living Notts but this could eliminate the Osborn/ McClelland couple as yours.

The Mgt Osborn m to John in the 1841/1851 Scotttish Census is living in Gateside of Bellisle, Ayr.

A Margaret Osborn dies 1861 aged 87 at Gateside of Bellisle, Ayr, Widow of John Osborne ?customer Weaver, father John McClelland dec Miller, mother Janet mn McCo/all. The informant for that death was Grandson Robert Wilkie, son of Janet Osborn b 1811 Ayr

Vera

Comment

Still not identified your Scottish Margaret m to John Osborn in the 1841/1851 living Notts but this could eliminate the Osborn/ McClelland couple as yours.

The Mgt Osborn m to John in the 1841/1851 Scotttish Census is living in Gateside of Bellisle, Ayr.

A Margaret Osborn dies 1861 aged 87 at Gateside of Bellisle, Ayr, Widow of John Osborne ?customer Weaver, father John McClelland dec Miller, mother Janet mn McCo/all. The informant for that death was Grandson Robert Wilkie, son of Janet Osborn b 1811 Ayr

Vera
                                I was kind of hoping that Vera that I/we could eliminate them that way.. the 1841 has them living in Kirkby and has Margaret wrongly transcribed as coming from Ireland, comparing the 'S' for son it looks to be exactly the same as the letter that is supposed to be an 'I'

Margaret 1841:https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=try&h=9169161
                                Class: HO107; Piece: 858; Book: 4; Civil Parish: Kirkby in Ashfield; County: Nottinghamshire; Enumeration District: 18; Folio: 4; Page: 3; Line: 9; GSU roll: 438905

Julie

Comment

A custom / customer weaver was one who wove to order rather than a pieceworker.

Comment

Yes thats definitely a mistranscribe for Mgt. Need to place the children b Scotland in date and place order. I cannot find a place of birth for William on an English Census. Hunter ? Glasgow, Thomas ? Peebles

Stumbled on a Scottish m yesterday cousins Osborne/McDonald. Husband occ Draper from Lincoln. Maiden name of brides mother Kennedy. Couple subsequently living Lincoln. Not sure there is anything in that

Was hoping to find out a bit more about William as he is also recorded as a 'local Methodist Preacher' but nothing coming up

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                      A custom / customer weaver was one who wove to order rather than a pieceworker.
                                      Thanks GL.

vera

Comment

Thanks Vera & GL, weaving/weaver would fit with John being a FWK but that's about it really. You'd think that with a name like Hunter that he'd be easy to find.. er no!.. [I mean a baptism would be easy] This tree I have found too also has specific dates for William and Hunters bapts

William: 24 SEP 1812 • Jedburgh, Glasgow, Scotland

Hunter: 07 JUN 1814 • Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland

another tree have John marrying Margaret in 1807 but when john was 0yrs old!! and they all have the same marriage to the same person but I think it has to be wrong....
                                        Julie

Comment

What I find confusing is how have they arrived at those specific dates? My head hurts!

tree1: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...38889649/facts

tree2: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...39019830/facts
                                          Julie

Comment

Working...
                                          X