Shropshire placename help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shropshire placename help please

This is from the England and Wales 1881 census 69 Rathbone Street, Tunstall, Staffordshire. They are the places of origin for my Gt Granny's sister, her son and the man who actually was the boy's father despite what the baptism says! They are visiting the man's brother and his wife.The places are all in Shropshire. The top one is for John and says Coptivinney (today spelled with only one N). The middle one is for Gt Granny's sister Elizabeth and says Welshampton. The bottom one is for the infant and I am totally bamboozled by it. It looks like Borehallon but I haven't turned up anything on Google or GENUKI to match or even anything remotely like it. Does anyone know what it is or what it's meant to be? No doubt strong Shropshire accents have had a part to play LOL

Capture.JPG

Have you found the person on any subsequent census?

Comment

Yes. Gt. Granny’s sister bigamously married the boy’s father in 1882 and the family remained in Tunstall. The boy grew up using only his middle forename and the surname of his actual father. Incidentally, the boy’s first forename was the same as the said father.
      The boy’s 1880 baptism names his parents as his mother and her first husband who had two totally different forenames from the boy and the actual birth father.
      1881 census shows that husband has joined the army and his service record shows that in 1882 he was in South Africa!
      To make matters worse, the first husband returns to England and marries again (also must be bigamous) and settles in Tunstall. On a later census, the two households are a few minutes away from each other!
      In 1861 and 1871, the families of the mother and the boy’s actual father are within 3 miles of each other. On one of those, the man is next door to a family of the same surname as the woman’s own mother. I am sure that the two of them had known each other since childhood.

Comment

Is there any reason why you are not posting the names? Over 100 years old and anyway I had no trouble finding them from the address.
        People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
        Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Nope not really but it’s the placename I’m after and in 1891 it appears as Borchather which doesn’t seem to exist either. 1901 it’s Barnhallow. Again, no joy on the net.
          Sorry for delay in reply but it looks like I have had 0 replies but counting the op the the number should have been 4.

Comment

The considerable differences in spelling might suggest that it is a Welsh name. At http://www.e-gymraeg.org/enwaulleoed...agreement.aspx I tried Bor* and Bar* and got lots of possibilities to explore, but I have not done so myself.

Comment

I did wonder if it is a place no longer in Shropshire, was trying to find some lists of moving places!
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

could it be Boreatton

Comment

Perhaps you should order the birth certificate? Without knowing what name he was born under, it makes it difficult for anyone to pinpoint the RD and the surrounding areas.

Comment

where was the baptism?
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                      could it be Boreatton
                      It's in Shropshire, but appears to be only the house with no sign of a manor to go with it. But the mother could have been working there and allowed to have her child there. The occupants were the Hunt family a little earlier. Might be worth looking to see who was at Boreatton Hall in censuses of the period.

Comment

Many thanks everyone. Will look for Boreatton.

Comment

I've found plenty of people name a place like this. There would probably be cottages (now long gone) associated with an estate. Even now the map shows quite a few buildings. Its NW of Baschurch. they may well have pronounced it BoreHatton (trying to be posh!!!)
                          Anne

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                            where was the baptism?
                            Sorry for delay. Got majorly sidetracked.

Lyth, John William
                            22 February 1880 St Alkmund, Whitchurch, Shropshire. The stated father has only his second forename shown. His full name was Richard Francis Lyth and was the first husband of Elizabeth Latewood. Residence was Elliott’s Yard, Whitchurch. They had already had a daughter Mary in 1877, baptised 14 December six months after they got married. At marriage, Richard was 19 and Elizabeth was 21.
                            1861 and 1871 census, Richard is with his family at Ring o’ Bells Yard, High Street, Whitchurch.

It’s a bit confusing that the stated father is shown with only his middle name and Richard Francis Lyth’s own parents were another Francis and Elizabeth. Francis Lyth and Elizabeth Bateman married in 1855 and had only 3 legitimate children, Jane, Richard Francis and John. There is a girl called Margaret Lyth in 1861. She was born before the marriage as Margaret Bateman.
                            Elizabeth Lyth nee Bateman died 1874 so the child who was baptised in 1880 was not the son of her and husband Francis.
                            1881 census the widower Francis and his son John born 1860 are now at Elliott’s Yard. Same address as for the baptism. That John was plain John not John William.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                              Perhaps you should order the birth certificate? Without knowing what name he was born under, it makes it difficult for anyone to pinpoint the RD and the surrounding areas.
                              Which one LOL
                              He was first registered in 1880 as William LUNT and reregistered in 1881 as John William LEYTH. Why??? No idea really as his parents later married and the child grew up, married and died as Lunt. Ellesmere is the correct district for Welshampton where his mother was from.
                              LUNT, WILLIAM LATEWOOD
                              GRO Reference: 1880 M Quarter in ELLESMERE Volume 06A Page 741
                              LEYTH, JOHN WILLIAM -
                              GRO Reference: 1881 D Quarter in WOLSTANTON Volume 06B Page 120
                              ukbmd version
                              LEYTH John William LEYTH 1881 Tunstall Stoke-On-Trent TUN/085/069
                              I am certain this is the same child. When John Lunt and Elizabeth in 1882, she claims to be a widow. St Margaret, Wolstanton 3 September 1882. Both resident Tunstall.

Comment

Working...
                              X