Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did he come from?

Hi all,
    John Snoswell (surname also spelt various other ways Snozwell, Snowsell, Snosell, Sneswell etc) born around 1792 Speen, Berkshire according to the 1851 census (he's in Merton, Surrey) - his wife is at home in Shaw, Berkshire with the kids. I can't find any records on him apart from this one census record and his marriage to Mary Smith 1816 in Shaw, Berkshire (on FMP). On the 1861 census his wife Mary is down as widowed. Is anyone interested in having a quick look?
    Thank you, Tessie

I've been looking but no found much. The 1851 census said he was widowed

Mary seems to have died in 1869 Berkshire.

I have found a death for John Snoswell in 1871 born 1791 in Croydon Surrey. Could well be yours but not sure.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
      I've been looking but no found much. The 1851 census said he was widowed

Mary seems to have died in 1869 Berkshire.

I have found a death for John Snoswell in 1871 born 1791 in Croydon Surrey. Could well be yours but not sure.
      Lin, do you think they were really just seperated and both say widowed to save being frowned upon? There is another John Snoswell around London so I wasn't sure if the death you found (that I had noted) was him or not! Glad it's not just me though not being able to find anything

Thanks for having a look!

Tessie

Comment

I think they did. There was no way poor people could get a divorce in those days. Probably no such thing as separated then.

People thing unusual names are easy to follow but so often mis spelt that it's a nightmare.
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

can't see any census couple of deaths:

for John Snoswell
          a death in 1871 in Croydon, Surrey born 1791
          a burial 1870 Tooting born 1790

1861 wild card
          John Snowsell lodger age 74 (so wrong age) born in Middx (wrong again!) and a sawyer

Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks Lin and cbcarolyn! Think I'll leave him as my brick wall for now! I'll asusme they were seperated and admit defeat for now for his death. I was assuming the sawyer born in Middx was the same man as the one who died in Surrey but tha could be wrong and he could be my John Snoswell! I don't think the death cert. would help?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X