With Edward Goddard 25 Bricklayers Lab not b in County

Ann Prior aged 65 Independent. Not b in County

1 Bexley Place St Giles Camberwell

Vera

Comment

Have you spotted this:

Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

The John Cloake in Princes Street, Westminster, is a Licensed Victualler
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Ooh so that is her husband and will then.

i'll need to look at that 1841 for anne. She died in camberwell district 1863, but not spotting her on the 1861. Or mary mcclea in 1841.

Comment

just realised it also says at the George , Princes Street- which I had skipped over, I kind of feel that Dorothy is not too common that it is more likely them.

So same John Cloake on reg of electors
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

Found the notice in the paper, relict of Peter Mclea Esq., of Belfast,Ireland

Saint James's Chronicle 19 November 1853

Attached Files
              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Oh that's interesting elaine. I was wondering whether mcclea was scottish. Or if it was a name in it's own right? Wondering if it was mcclean originally.

Comment

Any Protestant names in Belfast will probably be Scottish in origin.
                  People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                  Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
                    Any Protestant names in Belfast will probably be Scottish in origin.
                    If it is Scots in origin, it will be in Black’s Surnames of Scotland. It’s an old standard work. Yiu should be able to find a free copy to browse or download in an online library

Comment

Found a notice for Ann

The Examiner 28 November 1863

and I wanted to make a note of this one

26 August 1799 - Sussex Advertiser

Lately much lamented, Mrs Prior of Hornchurch, Essex

I can't see a burial in Hornchurch,

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                      Attached Files
                      Elaine

Comment

Thank you re the info on scottish surnames.

sussex advertiser for mrs prior? Wonder if she may have died in sussex?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                          Thank you re the info on scottish surnames.

sussex advertiser for mrs prior? Wonder if she may have died in sussex?
                          No female burials for Prior in that year in Sussex on the Sussex Family History Group. Newspapers often repeated reports from other papers so it may be the only paper that survives from that date.

Comment

Thanks jill. I found the notice in two papers. Annoying her name isn't mentioned, or her husband's name. I couldn't spot a female prior buried in 1799 at hornchurch in indexes. But might take a look at the register. Thing is mrs prior may not have been buried at hornchurch. Could've been buried in any of the neighbouring parishes.

Comment

Just want to confirm that this is where the family are using earlier post as base

Sarah, Dorothy (re will) & Mary are the Spurling sisters?

Dorothy (d 1804 Romford) marries John Woolstone and then John Cloake (d 1785) ran George pub in Princes Street, Soho

Sarah marries John Prior

there are 4 children born at hornchurch to a john and sarah prior:
                              betty 1763 (not mentioned in aunt's will, no burial found),
                              mary 1765, Marries Peter Mclea
                              sarah 1767 (mentioned in aunt's will)
                              anne 1770. died 1863 in Camberwell 1841 census

Sarah then Spurling/Prior then marries Peter Mclea

there is only one sarah prior burial in hornchurch, in 1794 of a pauper. there are two possibilities for john prior: 1803 (no info on record) or 1809, age 83. he is in the death duties index, listed as insolvent in 1810.
                              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 11-11-20, 13:48.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                Just want to confirm that this is where the family are using earlier post as base

Sarah, Dorothy (re will) & Mary are the Spurling sisters?

Dorothy (d 1804 Romford) marries John Woolstone and then John Cloake (d 1785) ran George pub in Princes Street, Soho

Sarah marries John Prior

there are 4 children born at hornchurch to a john and sarah prior:
                                betty 1763 (not mentioned in aunt's will, no burial found),
                                mary 1765, Marries Peter Mclea
                                sarah 1767 (mentioned in aunt's will)
                                anne 1770. died 1863 in Camberwell 1841 census

Sarah then Spurling/Prior then marries Peter Mclea

there is only one sarah prior burial in hornchurch, in 1794 of a pauper. there are two possibilities for john prior: 1803 (no info on record) or 1809, age 83. he is in the death duties index, listed as insolvent in 1810.
                                Carolyn it's Mary Prior who married Peter McCLea

I have tried to find Ann Prior in 1861, possibly with Henrietta Shaw. Can't see her anywhere. Henrietta in Gloucs in 1871 and Hastings in 1881 where she dies. You probably have that Kylejustin.

I can see two possible areas/addresses for Ann at time of death 5 Camberwell Park and in South London Chronicle November 1863 Kennington Park. The latter could come under Newington Parish but not seeing anything on FMP. Hopefully the Will will pinpoint actual address.

I was looking at a Betty Prior in Kensington. Died 1824 B 1763. In her Will she mentions children Martha m to Stanforth and William. However she is married to William Prior so possibly not yours Kykejustin unless a Prior married a Prior.EDIT just found the burial for that Betty Prior in Chelsea St Luke. She was b 1740.

Vera

Comment

Thanks for the summary. The death certs came yesterday. Informants had same address but unknown to me. I think probably servants. I can't recall their names at present, will get them when home.

the address for anne prior on the death was 5 camberwell green, camberwell.

i would think betty prior was deceased by 1803, as all surviving family members were mentioned in the will. Though trying to trace her, or sister sarah prior post 1803 is difficult.

Comment

I find it interesting that they are so back and forth between London and Hornchurch, do you know what they were actually doing in Hornchurch? Did her other sisters stay on Hornchurch? Did they actually have some money?

I could't read all of the names in the will but note that she wants to be buried where others were buried, and also that Anne was buried in Hornchurch having died in Camberwell.
                                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 12-11-20, 08:53.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

so mary mclea d.12 nov 1853, at 8 somerset place (admin says this is in portman's square), the rectory, marylebone. informant: M.A. Blundell, same address. admin granted in 1858, then 1860 to anne prior of 7 st georges place, high st, camberwell.

anne prior d.15 nov 1863, at 5 camberwell green, camberwell. informant: elizabeth spooner, same address. her will hasn't come yet.

the spurling family are a bit back and forth from romford to london. bit hard to say whether they had money, or the daughters married well. their parents married in 1726 at st benet wharf in london. all the kids born at romford 1727-1738. father (origins unknown) believed to remarry in fleet st in 1753, but no death for first wife (romford native). father believed to die 1759 at romford, second wife? believed to die 1785 romford. no wills for this generation, nor are the family mentioned in the essex beneficiaries index, so not mentioned in local wills. probably a few in PCC, if knew other names to look at. my ancestor married in 1761,st botolph without bishopsgate, had two kids in camden then moved back to romford. quite accustomed to looking for this lot and their in laws in london and essex. but really shaky what occupations everyone has.

Comment

Did find Camberwell Green on 1861 census, but not found anyone

Page 10 and on
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Had a look at Addison Road, Notting Hill 1861 and can't see anyone, looked in hope because when Mary died she was of Addison Road, Notting Hill and Ann was formerly of 29 Addison Road, Notting Hill.
                                          Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                          X