Enlistment Process in WW1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlistment Process in WW1

I have an Ancestor that would have been 33 years of age and married when WW1 commenced.

I understand that The Military Services Bill 1916 extended conscription in May that year for the 18 – 41 years old to those who were married. A month after this extension my Ancestor enlisted.

I guess maybe it is reading too many books or watching too many films but I automatically think of enlistment in the Army. This Ancestor, from London, was enlisted into the Royal Navy Air Service.

But then how would one be enlisted into the RNAS? Pot Luck? Request? On the enlistment form he is described as ‘handyman’ although all previous Census's show him as a Lithographer/Printer.

Just curious especially as just six months previous, he and wife had travelled to Ellis Island.

Feel that there is a story here, somewhere.

George

There is something quite odd about the RNAS. I have a distant twig who was married and 41 and has one of those records from towards the end of WW1. He lived in Shropshire and as far as I know had not previously been enrolled in any of the other Services. I thought it strange when I found it but hadn't investigated further as he is so distant in the family.
    Anne

Comment

RNAS worked firstly with balloons, I think, and towards the end of WW1 was merged with the Royal Flying Corps to become the RAF. Machinery, engines, all very exciting boys toys, which required lots of fitters and mechanics. If you'd worked with vehicles, traction engines or any sort of machinery etc, you probably had the necessary and transferable skills. Also if you were 35+ and enlisting was compulsory, if you could get in, it must have seemed a more attractive option than the trenches in France and Belgium. Some of my ag labs who had to enlist 1916 onwards successfully applied for the Flying Corps and worked as maintenance and ground staff - they had probably worked with steam powered traction engines and threshing machines.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Jay. That makes perfect sense for my chap.
        Anne

Comment

George, if you interested there is a quite comprehensive history of the RNAS on Google. If you enter Royal naval air service ww1 it will bring up that topic.
          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Interesting thoughts and suggestions, thankyou.

Looking at my Ancestor’s occupation I note that he is down as a Lithographic Printer on the Census for 1901 & 1911. Yet on enlistment, he is a Handy Man. Perhaps a cynical thought, but if you say you are a handy man, “we can put you down for the RNAS?”.

He enlists just a month before the Battle of the Somme begins so could have been there had his enlistment been for the Army.

Looking into the RNAS further, I see that at the beginning of WW1, the RNAS had just 93 aircraft, 6 airships and 2 balloons. By 1918 and the formation of the RAF, there were 2,949 aircraft and 103 airships.

What I think is ironical and made us start looking closer at this ancestor, was that he died from his injuries in WW2. Not though as a direct result of enemy action. His death had came when the pedal cycle he was riding came into collision with a motor lorry.

Curiouser and curiouser!

George

Comment

I looked on the British Newspaper Archive and it looks as if they advertised for recruits.

There several in January 1916 for single men, and then I found some adverts around 12 June.
              Royal Naval Air Service
              Erectors, construction fitters, scaffolders, bricklayers and sheeters are required at once for the Royal naval Air Service for the duration of the war only. They will be rated as air mechanics, with pay up to 4s a day, in addition to uniform and separation allowance. Candidates should apply with testimonials, either personally or by letter, to Recruiting Officer, R.N.A.S., Brook Green, Hammersmith.
              12 June 1916 - Evening Mail – London.

It would be worth your while looking in the Archive if you have access.

Phil
              historyhouse.co.uk
              Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Perhaps he was the maintenance man at a lithographic printing works and kept the press up and running, keeping it in good order, stripping it down to replace/clean worn parts etc. Saying he was a handy man could have been his way of showing that he was a mechanic/service engineer rather than just the man who pressed buttons to produce prints, a skill and experience of no especial relevance to the military.
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Found another advert
                  Men of good physique are required for working parties for the Royal Naval Air Service. The age limits are 18 to 45, if fit; and application should be made to R.N.A.S., Recruiting Office, 17, Brook Green, Hammersmith. Men already on Government work should not apply
                  Portsmouth Evening News 06 July 1916
                  Phil
                  historyhouse.co.uk
                  Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Brilliant. Thankyou. A new direction.

Yes, I do have acess to the British Newspapers so will look through there.

Many Thanks

George

Comment

Working...
                    X