GRO has gone berserk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO has gone berserk?

Anyone else having trouble with the GRO? It seems to be reporting everyone that matched the surname regardless of the MMS or sex entered.
    Attached Files
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Did you upset it by putting qwertyu as the Mother’s maiden name?
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I've never searched such recent births. Maybe they have always behaved like that? I didn't know they were available on the GRO website!
      I agree it is an odd result because you can't see the mmn anyway and its male and female all together!
      Anne

Comment

I did a couple of test searches using the mmn Smith and it narrowed it down but still included male and female. The little ? next to the Gender box says they use that information to narrow down the search, if it is available. Maybe more recent registrations don’t include that?

Have you got a place of birth that would help narrow it down?
        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I use this site all the time. It's incredibly useful and it has never done this before. It seems to be OK up to 1911 but not for the later entries.

Comment

The issue in the op hasn’t happened to me but this past couple of weeks I have had many searches get stuck and I need to clear cache and start again. Doesn’t seem to matter which browser or what time of day.

Comment

I don't think I have done much on GRO past 1920, so possibly wouldn't notice the no sex choice.

But there is a new choice on first names, so they must be updating the site, as it is not on your screen snip - and is there now.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                I don't think I have done much on GRO past 1920, so possibly wouldn't notice the no sex choice.

But there is a new choice on first names, so they must be updating the site, as it is not on your screen snip - and is there now.
                What is the new choice for first names please? This is what I can see.

C934FD15-8167-47FE-BCFE-A8534497D8E3.jpeg

Comment

OK maybe it isn't new then, there is a choice on the drop down for derivative, perhaps always been there? 4 choices now on first names
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I'm only seeing three options. The derivative one has always been there (I think). What's the fourth one you can see? I am using Edge in Windows 10.
                    There's definitely something happening behind the scenes though as surname now has only two choices. There were three. I think the missing one is "Similar sounding variations" or words to that effect.

UPDATE - AHA!! I've gone to the opposite end of the date scale and I now can see 4 choices on forename so I was wrong - deriviative must be the new one as the others are exact, phonetically similar and similar sounding. These last three are also visible in surname as they used to be. From 1984 - 2004 though, the choices are limited in both fields.

Screenshot (1).png

Comment

"similar", but I thought that was always there!

didn't read to the end, so think it is new.
                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 03-11-20, 21:29.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Very odd. It's as if when they added on the later years they used a different app to display them. I rarely use the recent years so it's possible that it has always been like this for those years.

Comment

Government website and apps................what could possibly go wrong?
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                          X