Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brick wall for about 5 years, I could really use some help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brick wall for about 5 years, I could really use some help.

Hello

I was hoping someone may be able to help me in finding details on my 2x Great Grandfather. The issue I have been having is that he has such a common name and on some records the middle and first names are swapped around and I've found it incredibly difficult to pin down who he is on records as there seems to be so many people with his name. Every few months I think I'll get round to solving it but never seem to succeed.

His name is either James Henry Wood or Henry James Wood.
    I think he was born in 1884 in Greenwich, London but not 100% sure.
    Married Mary A Steads in January 1907, Greenwich, London.
    3 Children - Henry James Wood
    Bertha Florence Wood (my Great Grandmother)
    Albert E Wood
    Died in the first world war on 1st of July 1916.

I would love to know who his parents were.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Do you have his marriage certificate? This should tell you the name & occupation of his father, which should help narrow things down. The names of the witnesses may also help.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
      Do you have his marriage certificate? This should tell you the name & occupation of his father, which should help narrow things down. The names of the witnesses may also help.
      I do, his Father was called William Wood and was a Labourer. On his Marriage Certificate he is called James Henry Wood. I think I remember a while ago narrowing it down to two people with that name but they both had a Father called William.

Comment

Originally posted by Willscr View Post

I do, his Father was called William Wood and was a Labourer. On his Marriage Certificate he is called James Henry Wood. I think I remember a while ago narrowing it down to two people with that name but they both had a Father called William.
        To add the witnesses are - E Jenson and C Stevens.

Comment

Perhaps if you posted the full details, including occupations, addresses & witnesses etc, we may be able to help.

Also, is he Henry James Wood service No. G/1957, died 1 July 1916 aged 42, husband of Mary Wood, of 33, Glenforth St., East Greenwich? If so then his YoB is nearer 1874.

Do you have him on the 1911 census, if so, can you give details please.

Comment

Perhaps if you posted the full details, including occupations, addresses & witnesses etc, we may be able to help.

Also, is he Henry James Wood service No. G/1957, died 1 July 1916 aged 42, husband of Mary Wood, of 33, Glenforth St., East Greenwich? If so then his YoB is nearer 1874.

Do you have him on the 1911 census, if so, can you give details please.
            Apologies the marriage certificate

12th Feb 1907
            James Henry Wood - 23 years old - Labourer - 110 Calvert Road, Greenwich
            Father - William Wood, Labourer.

I think they have gotten his age wrong on the record of his death as on his marriage certificate which is dated 12th February 1907 it says he is 23 years old. But I know it is him on the Death record as it names his Children and wife.

Comment

I can see the pension record you mention, but I still can't find them in 1911 - have you?. They're not at the address on the baptism of Frederick John Wood in December 1910. It looks like he died shortly afterwards (there was another child of the same name born/died around the same time, but he is in the 1911 census so can't be the death below):

WOOD, FREDERICK JOHN aged 0 GRO Reference: 1911 M Quarter in GREENWICH Volume 01D Page 626

It looks like he was buried 27 Jan 1911 and his burial is on deceased online. Not that it gets us any closer to finding James Henry/Henry James.

I have to go out now, but I'll look more later if no-one has solved it by then.

Comment

I can see the pension record you mention, but I still can't find them in 1911 - have you?. They're not at the address on the baptism of Frederick John Wood in December 1910. It looks like he died shortly afterwards (there was another child of the same name born/died around the same time, but he is in the 1911 census so can't be the death below):

WOOD, FREDERICK JOHN aged 0 GRO Reference: 1911 M Quarter in GREENWICH Volume 01D Page 626

It looks like he was buried 27 Jan 1911 and his burial is on deceased online. Not that it gets us any closer to finding James Henry/Henry James.

I have to go out now, but I'll look more later if no-one has solved it by then.
                On my Great Grandmothers marriage certificate she is listed as living at Glenforth St so the record must be of him. I wasn't aware of a child they had called Frederick.

I haven't managed to find them in the 1911 census either.

Thanks very much for your help teasie.

Comment

wait...
                  People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                  Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
                    wait...
                    ????

Comment

Hi. If the army records are correct, there is a James Wood born approx 1874 in Bethnell Green parents William, a dock labourer and Rebecca. They are together 1881,1891 and 1901.

On 1901 James is a Dock Labourer. Not sure about it but worth a look. Mistakes do happen on certificates either intentionally or as a genuine mistake.
                      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I might have found part of something, but I haven't quite joined any dots yet.

There was a family at Woolwich Road, Charlton in 1891 - RG12; Piece: 527; Folio: 108; Page: 29
                        William Wood 51 Ag Lab b Surrey
                        Louisa 59 Laundress b Surrey
                        Elizabeth 15 Apprentice Dressmaker b Middlesex
                        Frederick 9
                        Henry J 6

I think these are their births:
                        WOOD, ELIZABETH JANE mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1876 J Quarter in KINGSTON Volume 02A Page 319
                        WOOD, FRED mmn BRIGENT GRO Reference: 1881 D Quarter in KINGSTON Volume 02A Page 358
                        WOOD, HENRY JAMES mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1884 J Quarter in KINGSTON ON THAMES Volume 02A Page 352

William Wood & Louisa Baigent married in Chertsey in 1857.

Fred Wood, born 24 Oct 1881 Teddington, Middlesex was killed 2 Jul 1915 aboard HMS India. His wife's address is given as 106 Calvert Road, East Greenwich, which is only a few doors from the address James Henry/Henry James gave on his marriage, and where a Lydia Wood was living in 1911 along with various children with the surname Freeman.

Fred Wood m Lydia Freeman 1910, Wandsworth, but it doesn't seem to be online.

EDITED TO ADD: Louisa (mother) may have died 12 Aug 1898 and buried 16 Aug 1898 Greenwich (burial on Deceased online)
                        WOOD, LOUISA aged 57 GRO Reference: 1898 S Quarter in WOOLWICH Volume 01D Page 781

William is still alive in 1901 at Woolwich Road, Charlton (Greenwich) - aged 65, General Labourer b Surrey.

Comment

Think it might be wrong.

Looks like William married Rebecca Hannah DAvison. The only James I can find with MMN Davison is James William.

Not your post Teasie but mine!!
                          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I might have found part of something, but I haven't quite joined any dots yet.

There was a family at Woolwich Road, Charlton in 1891 - RG12; Piece: 527; Folio: 108; Page: 29
                            William Wood 51 Ag Lab b Surrey
                            Louisa 59 Laundress b Surrey
                            Elizabeth 15 Apprentice Dressmaker b Middlesex
                            Frederick 9
                            Henry J 6

I think these are their births:
                            WOOD, ELIZABETH JANE mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1876 J Quarter in KINGSTON Volume 02A Page 319
                            WOOD, FRED mmn BRIGENT GRO Reference: 1881 D Quarter in KINGSTON Volume 02A Page 358
                            WOOD, HENRY JAMES mmn BAIGENT GRO Reference: 1884 J Quarter in KINGSTON ON THAMES Volume 02A Page 352

William Wood & Louisa Baigent married in Chertsey in 1857.

Fred Wood, born 24 Oct 1881 Teddington, Middlesex was killed 2 Jul 1915 aboard HMS India. His wife's address is given as 106 Calvert Road, East Greenwich, which is only a few doors from the address James Henry/Henry James gave on his marriage, and where a Lydia Wood was living in 1911 along with various children with the surname Freeman.

Fred Wood m Lydia Freeman 1910, Wandsworth, but it doesn't seem to be online.

EDITED TO ADD: Louisa (mother) may have died 12 Aug 1898 and buried 16 Aug 1898 Greenwich (burial on Deceased online)
                            WOOD, LOUISA aged 57 GRO Reference: 1898 S Quarter in WOOLWICH Volume 01D Page 781

William is still alive in 1901 at Woolwich Road, Charlton (Greenwich) - aged 65, General Labourer b Surrey.
                            Teasie, thank you so much for the information.

I would have to say this looks pretty much that you have found them? it's amazing what a new pair of eyes can do. I have looked at that census entry many times before but couldn't seem to piece it together. It's hugely appreciated.

Comment

Its hopeful, but nothing conclusive yet unfortunately.

I traced Elizabeth Jane - she married James Thomas Clark in 1897 & had a son named James William Clark in 1899 in Ilford. She then married John August Moser in 1912, although she had her first child with him in Dec 1906. The first marriage doesn't seem to be online, and the second marriage (from John's army records) has no helpful witnesses.

If it helps, I think we can rule out the Henry J Woods Grocers Porter b Teddington in 1901 in Erith, Dartford, as he appears to be the son of James Ralph Woods & Mary Jane Groom, and he married Alice Gertrude Bond in 1905.

If only we could find him in 1911 to confirm his PoB :/

Comment

Its hopeful, but nothing conclusive yet unfortunately.

I traced Elizabeth Jane - she married James Thomas Clark in 1897 & had a son named James William Clark in 1899 in Ilford. She then married John August Moser in 1912, although she had her first child with him in Dec 1906. The first marriage doesn't seem to be online, and the second marriage (from John's army records) has no helpful witnesses.

If it helps, I think we can rule out the Henry J Woods Grocers Porter b Teddington in 1901 in Erith, Dartford, as he appears to be the son of James Ralph Woods & Mary Jane Groom, and he married Alice Gertrude Bond in 1905.

If only we could find him in 1911 to confirm his PoB :/
                                The only person I can find that may be a link is a James Henry Wood 1884 Bethnal Green - Cabinet Maker in the 1911 census but I can't seem to find Mary anywhere.

I remember my Great Grandmother and Grandad saying that all of the family all lived very close to each other in the neighbouring streets, she lived on Glenforth Street until she died in 1996.

Comment

This could be Mary and the boys in 1939 Register

Wood, Mary b 31 May 1883 Widow
                                  Albert E b 10 May 1915 Incapacitated Pensioner
                                  Living 33A Glenforth Street Greenwich
                                  I

Henry James b 10 May 1907 Artisan Munitions Worke r
                                  Living 63A Glenforth Street Greenwich

Can't find Heny J/James H and Mary in 1911 but there are some workhouse infirmary admissions which could be them.

Nov 1908 Greenwich Wood, Mary 26 C/E Married 95 Tasker Street. Husband James 25 Lab in prison.
                                  Henry child of above 18 months

Dec 1908 Greenwich Wood Mary 26 C/E Married 95 Tasker Street. Husband James 25 Lab address not known

Nov 1909 Greenwich Wood, Henry 2, 9 Morley Road
                                  Father Henry in prison, mother Mary in the Infirmary

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

I

Can't find Heny J/James H and Mary in 1911 but there are some workhouse infirmary admissions which could be them.

Nov 1908 Greenwich Wood, Mary 26 C/E Married 95 Tasker Street. Husband James 25 Lab in prison.

Dec 1908 Greenwich Wood Mary 26 C/E Married 95 Tasker Street. Husband James 25 Lab address not known

Vera
                                    Thanks Vera for the information.

I know that the Mary and Albert on the 1939 register is them. My Grandad had an Uncle Albert who was blind he also told me his Grandmother Mary had epilepsy and they lived two doors away and they used to look after them. You can find him on the same page a Frederick A Mardon.

I wonder if the workhouse admission is her and them. It would make sense as to why I can’t find them together.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

I

Vera
                                      Maybe the prison thing is why his name seems to change slightly. From James Henry to Henry James ?

Comment

Originally posted by Willscr View Post

Maybe the prison thing is why his name seems to change slightly. From James Henry to Henry James ?
                                        Hello

I saw the Mardons afterwards. It's nice to hear they lived close and were able to support Mary and Albert.

It could be. Also his dob for enlistment although I don't think a man who had done some time in prison would need to hide his identity to be eligible for enlistment during times of War. In the end he gave his life.

The adddesses I have gleaned from the Infirmary records are not linked to the family in 1911.

There was maybe another child b 1909 who died in the Infirmary

Vanburgh Hill Infirmary

Wood, Mary admitted 7 Oct 1909 died 10 Oct 1909 aged 9 months. She was from the Parish of St Paul. On admission under 'address of friend's' is recorded Father Henry 8 Faulkner St. Mother in Infirmary.
                                        I can see the death on GRO but no birth or baptism.

Faulkner/Faulkner Street is Deptford/Lewisham area but no sign of them in 1911

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                        X