Searching uk census by address ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching uk census by address ?

I was just wondering if it is possible to search for an address rather than a person on all the uk census returns . I have worldwide Ancestry sub and usually I would only ever search for people but my son recently moved into a house which he was told had been a shop in the past . He would love to know what sort of shop it was . When he and his wife bought it they were told that the current front door was created after it was converted back to a house and in fact the number and road changed too as it is a house on a corner of two roads . When it was a shop the door was on the other road ! The address now is 19 Mere Street Haslington Cheshire and when it was a shop it was 14 Henry Street ! I found 14 Henry Street in 1911 with a Greenwood family but I’m not sure it was a shop by then as Mr Greenwood was a grocer but at the co op store in the village I think . Interestingly though there is no 19 Mere Street on the 1911 census so I’m sure it is my sons house but the front door hadn’t been moved yet . I’d be interested to know what anyone else thinks . Without a surname to search in earlier censuses I can’t really find who was living in 14 Henry Street and what the shop was .
    thanks for reading this

Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

FMP 1901

Unfortunately enumerator did not record house numbers

Schedule 176 Mere St, Haslington

Thomas Cooke 49 Tailor and Draper employer working at home b Haslington
    Emma Cooke 46 b Haslington
    Gertrude Cooke 19 "
    Percy Cooke 16 Tailor "

Schedule 177 Henry Street, Haslington

John Corke 38 Railway Engine Driver b Haslington
    Eliza Corke 36 b Sandbach
    John Corke 6 b Haslington

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
      FMP 1901

Unfortunately enumerator did not record house numbers

Schedule 176 Mere St, Haslington

Thomas Cooke 49 Tailor and Draper employer working at home b Haslington
      Emma Cooke 46 b Haslington
      Gertrude Cooke 19 "
      Percy Cooke 16 Tailor "

Schedule 177 Henry Street, Haslington

John Corke 38 Railway Engine Driver b Haslington
      Eliza Corke 36 b Sandbach
      John Corke 6 b Haslington

Vera
      Thanks for that Vera . I will look those two families up and see if I can find them in other censuses . What a pity the enumerator didn’t put house numbers .

many thanks for your help
      Liz

Comment

1891 this is the census for Henry Street:

Street Henry Street
        Haslington
        Cheshire
        Registration district Nantwich
        Archive reference RG12
        Piece number 2854
        Folio 14
        Page 23

I like to look at the census summary for 1911 - as it gives an overview of the area much easier
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
          1891 this is the census for Henry Street:

Street Henry Street
          Haslington
          Cheshire
          Archive reference RG12
          Piece number 2854
          Folio 14
          Page 23

I like to look at the census summary for 1911 - as it gives an overview of the area much easier
          https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...64&pId=2805589
          Thank you for that . At least now I’ve got all the district etc info to start a search .

liz

Comment

do you know how old the property is?

this is 1881 census:

Henry Street
            Haslington
            Archive reference RG11
            Piece number 3544
            Folio 97
            Page 33
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

there is a mention of the address in the papers
              14 henry street 1974.JPG

14 henry street 1951.JPG

1966 Mere street

mere st 1966.JPG
              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 27-10-20, 18:54.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

I assume that you have seen the 1939 Register?

Eveline Royle
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

there is a mention of the address in the papers
                  14 henry street 1974.JPG

14 henry street 1951.JPG

1966 Mere street

mere st 1966.JPG
                  Thank you so much for these Carolyn ! It’s great to have the business opportunity advert from 1966 which shows that my sons house was still a shop but also that the front door was then on Mere Street . He will be thrilled to have these snippets of the history of his house . He said there seemed to be ghost signage on the top of one of the house walls but it’s impossible to read it as it’s so faded . Presumably it would have been details of the shop ? Yes I did find the 1911 census return but it seems the door then was on Henry Street as the last numbered house on Mere Street was 17 then .

im very grateful to you for this information

Liz
                  oh wow I’ve just checked and as you say there’s Eveline Royle in 1939 and the address of the shop IS 19 Mere Street . How on earth did I miss that ? Thank you again

Comment

you can search for address more easily on FMP, but on ancestry you can get lucky and on the 1911 and 1939 they are more consistently transcribed. Try searching on ancestry with "lived in" town completed and add the address in the keywords.

I did start looking at the owner, she is unmarried, and I thought maybe it was the family business, but didn't find any other mention of the shop.

A trip to the local library might shed some light.

there is a FB group called Haslington Area Photos & Pictures from Yesteryear - https://www.facebook.com/groups/833763423300875/

I assume this is a different corner, other end of the street? "Anyone know when “Coopers” the grocery shop that was on the corner of Mere St/Crewe Rd finally closed?"
                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-10-20, 09:34.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

here is a post about your shop, chap who lived there has posted
                      1) Council School 1923. 2.Wedding of William Mulcaster to Maud Timmis 1916, Bridesmaid Lily Timmis, Pageboy Tom Hilditch. 3.Ladies of The Haslington WI. 4. Elsie Hilditch of Henry Street,...

and I think this a picture of it:
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

there are more:
                        1) Council School 1923. 2.Wedding of William Mulcaster to Maud Timmis 1916, Bridesmaid Lily Timmis, Pageboy Tom Hilditch. 3.Ladies of The Haslington WI. 4. Elsie Hilditch of Henry Street,...
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Carolyn
                          these are super ! I’ve spent ages looking through these old photos on the old photos of Haslington Facebook page . Absolutely fascinating . Yes I also searched for miss Royle . She died in 1963 aged 80 . It’s fascinating all the Facebook comments about the people who ran the shop after Miss Royle . I’ve got plenty to tell my son and daughter in law about their house !
                          im really grateful to you for finding these for me .

Liz

Comment

you can search for address more easily on FMP, but on ancestry you can get lucky and on the 1911 and 1939 they are more consistently transcribed. Try searching on ancestry with "lived in" town completed and add the address in the keywords.

I did start looking at the owner, she is unmarried, and I thought maybe it was the family business, but didn't find any other mention of the shop.

A trip to the local library might shed some light.

there is a FB group called Haslington Area Photos & Pictures from Yesteryear - https://www.facebook.com/groups/833763423300875/

I assume this is a different corner, other end of the street? "Anyone know when “Coopers” the grocery shop that was on the corner of Mere St/Crewe Rd finally closed?"
                            Yes that’s right . My sons house is at the other end of Mere Street so not Coopers grocery store .

Liz

Comment

Glad to help.

Some great old pictures on that FB site, I love the workmen one, with some wearing bowler hats and others in flat caps. I keep an eye out on a couple of FB groups where I was born and here also, people are always finding things as they clear out drawers etc. and collect postcards.
                              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-10-20, 16:12.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Glad to help.

Some great old pictures on that FB site, I love the workmen one, with some wearing bowler hats and others in flat caps. I keep an eye out on a couple of FB groups where I was born and here also, people are always finding things as they clear out drawers etc. and collect postcards.
                                Exactly Carolyn these old photos are great . The one of the men putting in sewers on Mere Street as you say is brilliant . They look quite smart in the photo with their spades etc . Another world ! Looking forward to sharing all you’ve found with my son and daughter in law .
                                I also am on a couple of Facebook sites relating to my Bailey , Vyse and Twemlow family . So Congleton and Biddulph and Sandbach . They Often put on old photos Which I love to see . It’s very appropriate that my son has ended up where his ancestors lived considering he grew up here in greater Manchester ! My nephew is about to move to Sandbach in the new year too !

Liz

Comment

Working...
                                X