WW1 Medals Framed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Medals Framed

I have finally achieved something that I have been planning for a long long time. I have had my Great Grandfather's WW1 Medals properly framed.

The pictures probably won't do it justice, until its hung properly on the wall, but I am beyond pleased with the outcome, it looks amazing!

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

they look fab, what a lovely thing to do.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Certainly have done a good job ,where will you hang them.

Comment

Thanks Carolyn and Val.

My initial intention was to hang them in the study, I have also framed a lot of my great grandparents and great great grandparents pics and was going to hang them all together. However because the frame looks so good I might put the medals on display in the lounge now

Comment

Thats is lovely. Did you do it youself or take it to a professional?
          Lynn

Comment

It was done by a professional

Honours and Awards

Comment

If ever I get time to get out of my own way I will take a pic of my grandfathers medals which I had done some years ago.

A word of advice though. I wouldn’t advertise the fact that you have done this. Apparently they are a ready source of cash to thieves that would have no compunction in relieving you of the display.
              Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

They are beautifully done. I don't have any WW1 medals, my cousin has my Grandads and he has had them framed and I do have a photo of them.

I have my Dad's WW2 medals, which I mounted myself about 15-20 years ago for his benefit but have ruined the ribbons, also he received the Legion d'honneur for D Day. Must think of doing something about them
                Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Super! Paul.

I don't have any family that served in WWI so none for me. Just goes to show though what you can do with a little bit of imagination.
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

A very fitting tribute Paul. thanks for sharing. That's spurred me on to see about having something done with my Dad's WW2 medals, and could perhaps include a photo of him in uniform, and a photo of a roll of honour that he was on (former members of his local St John's ambulance brigade who all joined up.)
                    I am his only descendent and wondered about having the medals mounted and then leaving them to the RAMC museum when I am no longer here.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Well Done, Paul, very nice and you done them with a passion in your heart.

Great Grandfather would take his hat off to you, you have done him proud!!!
                      Jacky

Comment

A beautiful display. Makes me wonder about doing something with the items I have from my grandfather.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
                          If ever I get time to get out of my own way I will take a pic of my grandfathers medals which I had done some years ago.

A word of advice though. I wouldn’t advertise the fact that you have done this. Apparently they are a ready source of cash to thieves that would no compunction in relieving you of the display.
                          thanks and good point

Comment

Thanks also to everyone for your kind words, it has taken me a long tine to get there and if this has given you the inspiration to have your own medals framed then it was worthwhile posting a pic on here.

Comment

This is how I mounted my grandfathers medals some years. Unfortunately, try as I may, I don’t seem to be able to get the inscription to read clearly. It reads
                              Medals of No 46952
                              WO1 J. Hamon R.A.
                              Served 1885-1910 & 1914-1919

It is an unusual grouping as the medals depict three different kings, Edward VII, George V and George VI.
                              The LS & GC was awarded in 1903, then the three WW1 medals and finally the MSM in 1941.
                              AF4B6205-4F94-4B5A-94FB-F391279FAC4A.jpeg

David

Comment

That looks amazing and what an unusual collection of medals together these look wonderful

Comment

Thanks Paul, after my g/father died in 1951 I trawled through his memorabilia and rescued all the medals which had just been chucked into a heap in one of his dresser draws. Had them myself for 50 years before getting the idea of framing them. Was rather pleased with the result.

Last edited by Paulc; 26-10-20, 20:19.

David

Comment

My father was given their uncle's medals by their sister. He served in the Atlantic Conveys, so my father applied posthumously for the medals which he hadn't received and got them all mounted together.

When I cleared out his flat, I acquired them and as they had no children, and Uncle Sid was a married in, I decided to track down any other blood relatives and found a niece. I need to find a way to get them to her or her son now.

This is the first picture I tracked down, I have better one somewhere where I had identified all the medals.
                                    Caroline
                                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
                                      Thanks Paul, after my g/father died in 1951 I trawled through his memorabilia and rescued all the medals which had just been chucked into a heap in one of his dresser draws. Had them myself for 50 years before getting the idea of framing them. Was rather pleased with the result.

You should be well pleased, the end result looks brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                                        My father was given their uncle's medals by their sister. He served in the Atlantic Conveys, so my father applied posthumously for the medals which he hadn't received and got them all mounted together.

When I cleared out his flat, I acquired them and as they had no children, and Uncle Sid was a married in, I decided to track down any other blood relatives and found a niece. I need to find a way to get them to her or her son now.

This is the first picture I tracked down, I have better one somewhere where I had identified all the medals.
                                        Again another display that looks wonderful Caroline and a great way to remember Uncle Sid

Comment

Working...
                                        X