Selina Bullman 1866 Norfolk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selina Bullman 1866 Norfolk

Trying to find a bit more info on Selina Bullman. She is my G Grandmothers sister.

Selina Bullman born 24 Mar 1866 in Buxton Workhouse Norfolk and bap on 5 Apr 1866 at House of Industry. Mother Elizabeth. Both from Freereg.

1871 census with her mother Elizabeth and Naomi ( my G Grandmother). Elizabeth and Naomi moved to Nottingham and I know all about them. There by 1881.

1881 in the Eye Infirmary Norwich as a patient.

Couldn't find anything after that but found a Selina born Aylsham 1891 as White with a son Albert B aged 5 in Beccles Road Gorleston. There is a marriage of John White to Selina Bullen 1888 Mutford. Is that her?

1901 This Selina is in Erpingham with John and Hannah Petts as their daughter. Can't find a Selina Petts marrying though. Albert is with her.

Is this Selina the right person I am looking for? The Petts die in Erpington as does Albert in 1908.

Any suggestions welcome. Sorry but don't seem to be able to add census.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Somebody* has her in his tree on Myheritage:

Selina Bullman
    In MyHeritage Family Trees
    Name Selina Bullman
    Birth Circa 1866 Hackford, Wymondham, Norfolk, England
    Family members
    Parents Arthur Foster
    1850 - ?
    Elizabeth Foster (born Bullman)
    1848 - 1908
    Sister Naomi Donbar Lowe (born Bullman)
    1871 - 1944
    If Selina was illegitimate but her mother subsequently married Arthur Foster as the above implies, is it possible that Selina changed her name to Foster post 1881?

Also someone* was searching for her in the 1891 census, seems to think she was living in Lambeth.

There is no Albert White b1885-1887 with a MMS of Bullman (or Foster) on GRO, but I cannot identify the one you found as none born in Aylsham.

PM me for names as presumably living.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Thanks, Elizabeth Bullman lived with Arthur Foster From 1881 to 1908, but they never married. She died in 1908 as Bullman and mentions her father James. Arthur registered the death and said he was a cousin. He died in 1923.

Sorry, it was such a long message but I have only found him on census. He was born before they married and on census middle name began with B so looked under Bullman as well.

Will pm you and thanks,
      Lin

Comment

Have had a look around, but not found anything, still looking.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

The marriage is on FMP, image as well. Father's name is blank:
          First name(s) Selina
          Last name Bullen
          Sex Female
          Age 22
          Condition spinster
          Birth year 1863
          Year 1888
          Marriage date 07 Jul 1888
          Parish Gorleston with Southtown, Suffolk
          Residence Gorleston
          Diocese Norwich
          Spouse's first name(s) John
          Spouse's last name White
          Spouse's age 25
          Spouse's birth year 1866
          Spouse's condition bachelor
          Spouse's occupation Fisherman
          Spouse's residence Gorleston
          Spouse's father's first name(s) Thomas White
          Spouse's father 's occupation Sailor
          Witness 1 George Wright
          Witness 2 Elizabeth Petts
          County Suffolk
          Country England

not sure if witness of Petts is significant

Last edited by cbcarolyn; 25-10-20, 22:31.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

marriage is on Ancestry too
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

I can't see if it is your Selina, I cannot understand the relationship to the Petts, in 1911 John Thomas White b 1891 mmn Bullen is living with the Petts as an adopted son. The Petts seem to be on each of the census without children. Although you say they died in 1908?

Selina maybe died? lots of trees have her as Selina Petts died in Edmonton in 1923, but I have yet to see that connection.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

That is brilliant. Don't know why I couldn't find it but was probably looking in Norfolk. Should know better.

Will have another look round. The Petts witness fits with the one I have found but still don't know if she is right and where she died.

Thanks
                Lin

Comment

not found a birth for Albert either, have found the death that I assume your refer age 22 in 1908. and one census has him as 1886 also.

I found John, so at least know that Selina is the same as the marriage, and the 1911 census must be John with the Petts

​​​​​​WHITE, JOHN THOMAS BULLEN
                  GRO Reference: 1891 D Quarter in GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH Volume 04B Page 36

Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

GRO have an Arnold Albert Bullen reg Dec q 1885 Aylsham. No mmn

Can't get my head round this one as to why Selina is calling herself Bullen.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                      GRO have an Arnold Albert Bullen reg Dec q 1885 Aylsham. No mmn

Can't get my head round this one as to why Selina is calling herself Bullen.

Vera
                      That looks like a good find, I did wonder if the B was for Bullen.

Nothing is making any sense to me
                      • The Petts appear to be childless, or at least they never lived with them, he says Selina is his daughter.
                      • Wife of John Petts is Hannah E Delph as far as i can see - so no Bullen there.
                      • The marriage states she is a spinster
                      • She uses Bullen on marriage and 2 births
                      • Why do the Petts need to adopt John at 19, did Selina die soon after 1901? Or leave?
                      Can't find a death for Selina White, such a silly name to search in the newspapers too

and then the big question is this Selina Bullman.....

Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Lin Fisher are there any Alberts or Arnolds in the family?
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Sorry to be so long in replying. I have been having another look at everything. Sorry Carolyn, John Petts died 1916 in Erpingham.

Selina was with her mother in 1871, by 1881 her mother and sister Naomi were settled in Nottingham with an Arthur Gray form Seven Oaks in Kent, by 1891 he was Arthur Foster same birth place.

Was Selina abandoned or given to the Petts perhaps and thought her name was Bullen?

There is another sister Britannia born and died 1868, I have her birth certificate and also a Thomas Bullman born and died 1870 in Aylsham. Feel he might be another brother.

Now I have the age of her husband will look for his death.

Thanks again
                          Lin

Comment

Carolyn, we passed on messages. No Alberts or Arnolds that I can see, also Aylesham is the district that Selina was born in.

Thanks Vera, good spot.

Lin

Comment

Selina Bullman was in
                              Hackford (1871)

1881 - Norwich St Lawrence (comment says Eye infirmary? - not sure I understand this comment)
                              https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...1?pId=16461069

John Petts - I think this must be him is in Bradwell, Suffolk
                              https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...6?pId=20265281 which is near Great Yarmouth
                              https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en...folk_Genealogy

close but maybe not that close to take them in?

all so close to county border it gets confusing.

Not looked - any idea who Margaret Petts witness?
                              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 26-10-20, 11:30.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Sorry everyone, but I have another theory. Found Selina Ewen on 1911 born Aylesham??

She is with John Ewen aged 40 in Littlecotes Grimsby. Married 7 years. She had 3 children 1 died, 1 living, 2 died. No marriage as I can see.

They are together in the electoral registers at 103 Burgess Road, then in 1928 I think, she is down as Selina White.

Burial at Scartho Road Cem. Selina White a widow aged 63 died 19 Dec 1929 at 103 Burgess Road Grimsby. Buried 23 Dec 1929.

Still don't know if she is mine but think she could be as always born Aylsham which is the area where my Selina was born.
                                Lin

Comment

If you look at the actual 1881 census page it says Eye Infirmary at the top.

I think it was Elizabeth Petts who was witness and that is my next think written down on the to so list. Will be about 30 mins as need to sort something out.

Thanks
                                  Lin

Comment

EDIT Ignore it was a Gasgow steamer

Not sure which husband's death your referring to. If its John White's death your looking for I think he possibly died at sea November 1897 Bridlington. Registered 1898. EDIT not sure about that burial Buried Norfolk. FMP have newspaper info re inquest into shopping disaster January 13th 1898.

Vera

Comment

Thanks for that Vera, I was referring to John White but seemed to be too many and I was looking after 1901. Thought he might have been at sea in 1901. Silly me.

Don't have newspapers for FMP.

If the Selina I found in Grimsby Lincolnshire is correct she had 3 children so another one to find. My next job after sorting out who Elizabeth Petts is.

Will be in and out this afternoon as got a few jobs to do but thanks everyone.
                                      Lin

Comment

I am not sure what else to check? A proper puzzle.

Looking as though it could be Selina Bullen with John Ewen, and guessing maybe they didn't marry if there is a Selina White death.

Not sure how to connect Bullen with Bullman. I can only find a birth in Erpingham for a Bullen

John Henry Bullen MMN Bullen 1885, nothing for White that seems obvious
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X