Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please with 1881 cencus strange name

Hi
    Looking at my Great Grandmother's family. Her parents were William and Jane Ann Cooper from co Durham, William born around 1856. On the 1881 census on findmypast, a Fred Snowden is listed as born 1876. On the 1891 census on Family search there is a Thomas E born same year as 'fred'. Is this a listing error? I can't seem to find the family on Family Search for 1881 but the 1901 has Thomas E, no sign of this Fred?! I'm only using Family Search as a free site, but the 1881 census on Findmypast seems to show up the details of the household without my joining!
    Thanks

p.s also on the 1881 FMP census listing there doesn't show an Ada B which is on the 1891 census as her being 13. Perhaps the 1881 family isn't the right one, but just wondered why i can't seem to find the family in 1881 listings. William and Jane Ann were married in 1874.

Comment

On FMP and Ancestry they are mistranscribed for 1881 as Casper

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by mrspink View Post
        Hi
        Looking at my Great Grandmother's family. Her parents were William and Jane Ann Cooper from co Durham, William born around 1856. On the 1881 census on findmypast, a Fred Snowden is listed as born 1876. On the 1891 census on Family search there is a Thomas E born same year as 'fred'. Is this a listing error? I can't seem to find the family on Family Search for 1881 but the 1901 has Thomas E, no sign of this Fred?! I'm only using Family Search as a free site, but the 1881 census on Findmypast seems to show up the details of the household without my joining!
        Thanks
        The 1881 census has always been Free on all Genealogy sites, Findmypast, Ancestry etc.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thank so much, i can now see the details under Casper instead of Cooper - i'd never have found that!

Comment

This looks like Fred's birth:
            SNODON, FRED -
            GRO Reference: 1875 D Quarter in OF TEESDALE Volume 10A Page 254
            The district Teesdale spans the boundaries of the counties of North Riding of Yorkshire and Co. Durham.
            m
            The surname has been mangled.

First name(s) JANE
            Last name SNOWDON
            Marriage quarter 3
            Marriage year 1878
            Registration month -
            MarriageFinder â„¢

JANE SNOWDON married one of these people

William Cooper, Thomas Wilson

District Darlington
            District number -
            County Durham
            Country England
            Volume 10A
            Volume as transcribed 10A
            Page number 44
            Record set England & Wales Marriages 1837-2005
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

1901 2, Plevna Street, New Shildon, Shildon, Auckland, Durham, England

William Cooper Head Married Male 43 1858 Railway Platelayer Heighington, Durham, England
              Jane Cooper Wife Married Female 43 1858 - Durham, England
              Jane A Cooper Daughter Single Female 21 1880 - Heighington, Durham, England
              Edith A Cooper Daughter Single Female 14 1887 - Heighington, Durham, England
              Gertrude E Cooper Daughter Single Female 11 1890 - Heighington, Durham, England
              John G Cooper Son Single Male 4 1897 - Shildon, Durham, England
              Thomas Wm Cooper Son Single Male 1 1900 - Shildon, Durham, England
              Fred Snowdon Boarder Single Male 25 1876 Railway Platelayer Gainford, Durham, England
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thanks all, so very helpful. I've managed to find my Cooper family - William and Jane Ann as the 1881 had the wrong surname, Casper not Cooper. I'm sure i'll be back with more queries as new to all this.

Comment

Hi again, was looking at William's family to try and establish who his parents were. In 1881 William and Jane lived in Plawsworth, a very tiny village in Durham.In 1861 census, in Plawsworth, there's a William Cooper listed as aged 5 along with a Frances Cooper (brother to William) and a John Atty (poss should be Atley), all grandsons to the head of household. Isobella Gibbons (maiden name Attey) is married in 62 to George Gibbons and living with their children plus a William Cooper aged 16 and Frank aged 11 (possible Frances) in 1871 census. I'm thinking Isobel/Isobella was the mother of William but why is there no head of the household for 1861 census to try and establish William's grandfather, Isobella's father? Does this show on other sites? I'm just using FS free at moment. Thanks again for any help. I realise marriage certificates help but at this stage a bit reluctant to keep purchasing as costs add up! thank you all

Comment

You can't be sure your tree is correct without buying bmd certificates. If lucky, marriages will be on a database such as ancestry, fmp or familysearch. But certificates are essential to research, as you have no idea what information may be useful, such as wittnesses or informants.

Comment

On the 1871 There is a John Athey 65 B Sedgefield Durham recorded as father in law of George Gibbons

On the 1861 recorded on previous page there is

John Athy 52 Head Coal Miner b Newcastle
                      Mary Athy Wife 52 b Lancaster

Richard Athy Son 18 B St Peter's Sq, Northumberland
                      Isabella Cooper Daughter Widow 24 b St Peter's Sq Northumberland

John Athy Grandson 7 b Pelaw, Durham
                      William Cooper 5 Grandson b Edmondsley, Durham
                      Frances Cooper Grandaughter (? Grandson Frank) 8 months ? Nettlesworth, Durham

2 Lodgers one of which John Kitson

Vera

Comment

Working...
                      X