Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anyway I can get a copy of an obituary? (The Sydney Morning Herald)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anyway I can get a copy of an obituary? (The Sydney Morning Herald)

I have a Worldwide subscription (UK) for Ancestry but I cannot see the obituary, I guess because it is Australian or a newspaper, who knows.

Anyway, my husband's grandfather has an obituary listed - I can see that he and the rest of the family are mentioned, but cannot read it. Is there any way I could get a copy without subscribing?

The Sydney Morning Herald - 01 Apr 1981 - Robert Treadwell

Thanks!

:D Charney Jo

I think it's too recent.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Hmm. It's on Newspapers.com, but I have obviously used my free subscription years ago as it knows my email address, so I'd need to pay.

Comment

you can get a 24 hour subscription to SMH archives for about $15 if you have a few to look up it may be worth while
        Brian
        avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
        researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

You can read the text for free - but being OCR it often doesn't make sense so you have to 'fill in the blanks'

I won't add the bit that names family members as they may be living (and it doesn't seem to say much more than the list of names, to be honest), but this is the (OCR) part about his funeral:

TREADWELL. .The relatives io "'ngj 01 me iate ruoent TREADWELL. of Malabar, are Invited to attend his funeral service. iole held In the chapel at? the Eastern Suburbs Cremate- -rlum. tomorrow (Thursday),, a 10.30 a.m

Comment

Thanks. I don't want to subscribe as that's probably the only thing I'll want to look at. It just piqued my interest as it names my husband (as you say Teasie, still alive) and I wanted to get a copy for my mother in law (still in the UK), as one of her brothers obviously put in the obituary and I don't think she knew about it.

And thanks again Teasie. It gives me the date and time of his funeral.

Comment

I have managed to access the notice, which, as Teasie said, only seems to list the relatives. I can send you the image if you PM your email address to me.
              For the benefit of others who may need this tool, I accessed the newspaper via the Australian National Library e-resources. Sometime ago, I applied for a (free) Reader's Card for the National Library, available to any Australian resident who does not live in Canberra, renewable every two years, which allows me to search the Library's online resources such as the newspaper collection which contains more recent editions than available on Trove. I can also make use of my card to find various British newspapers such as those in the GALE collection, as well as numerous other foreign papers.
              There are many other resources available of course, but I have only made use of the newspapers.

I'm not sure if non-Australian residents can get Readers Cards....but if not, the Ask a Librarian Service can be very helpful if you have a very specific request.

Beverley

Comment

Thank you so much Beverly. So good to know. I’ve sent you a PM. ?

Comment

Hope this works - https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...rontpage&hl=en

You will need to scroll along to page 17 for the obituaries. (Page 32 of the actual paper)
                  Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thanks so much. That's great!

Comment

Working...
                    X