Childhood years Balmain/Ryde, Australia area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childhood years Balmain/Ryde, Australia area

Amy Isabel Atkinson born Dec 1893 to Mary Margaret Williamson and Edward Allen Atkinson. Lived in Ryde Area. I need maybe school records or church records which seem to be hard to come by. Missing years 1894-1930. Regards J
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 21-10-20, 09:39.

Is she the Amy Atkinson registered in Burnley in first quarter 1894?

Comment

I don,t believe so. Amy Isabel Atkinson was born in Balmain Sydney NSW. Dec 1893, baptised in St Thomas Church Jan 1894.

Comment

.... just half a world away.... oops.

Comment

Have you looked at nsw archives site to see if they hold educational records?

Comment

I have found a couple of anomalies on Ancestry. There is a marriage of Amy Atkinson, b. abt 1913, d/o Edward Allan Atkinson & Mary Williamson, to William Horace Neil Stent, s/o William James Stent & Mary Ashton at Parramatta NSW on 5 Apr 1941.

There is an Amy Stent who died 12 Nov 1974 and was buried Matraville, Randwick NSW

Then there is a marriage of Amy I Atkinson to Edwin Taylor in Ryde NSW in 1921. Someone has a tree on Ancestry for this family, together with a wedding photo, from which it appears that Edwin Taylor was a sailor. Amy Isabel Taylor died 1980 and was buried Palmdale NSW

I would post the links to these events but there seems to be a glitch at the moment preventing me from copy/pasting.

There is an obituary (7 Mar 1974) Sydney, NSW, mentioned on Ancestry for Edward Allan Atkinson, aged 100, spouse Mary, Children mentioned Allan, Clare, Jack, Ned, Amy, Win, Walter, Molly. I can't see the original image without a further sub.

At first glance, it would seem there were two Amy Isobel Atkinsons living in NSW at roughly the same time. do you know which one is yours?
            It might be worthwhile to look at Trove to see if you can pick up any info, although I think the various deaths occurred too recently for you to find them on the Trove collection

Beverley

Comment

Account of the Stent-Atkinson marriage on Trove:
              STENT-ATKINSON

Miss Amy Atkinson, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs E. A. Atkinson of Woy Woy (formerly of Pendle Hill), was married on Saturday week to Mr. Wi!!tam Stent, younger son of Mr. W.J. Stent of Pendle Hill, and of the late Mrs. Stent. Bishop Hilliard performed the cerermony, at St John's Church, Parramatta........
              Mrs. J. Bennet (sister of the bride) was matron-of-honor, and Miss Muriel Ward was the bridesmaid......At the reception held in the Blue Room of the Caraleon fifty guests were received by the bride's mother, wearing a navy tucked frock trimmed at the neckline with white lace. The bride's stepmother wore a cyclamen tailored ensemble. ......The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate, Wed 16 Apr 1941, p 5

Beverley

Comment

Mary Margaret Williamson b. 1876 NSW, d/o John Williamson & Bridget
                RY:1876
                RP:Sydney NSW
                RN: 2807

Edward A Atkinson marr Mary M Williamson 1902 NSW, reg Sydney

Mary Margaret Atkinson died 25 Oct 1956 Woy Woy NSW

Beverley

Comment

Help needed. Edward Allen Atkinson b. 4 Jan 1875 Durham England. Arrived Sydney 1891 with family aged 15. Daughter Amy Isabel born 1893 Balmain. Edward went to South Africa under own steam, served with volunteers and then returned, married 1902 Mary Margaret Williamson, Mother of Amy. I have stories told in our childhood of Amy spending her younger years in Bulawayo ???? cannot find passenger lists. School enrolments through this era seem to be difficult through NAA. Edward had more children 1904 and 1914. I think I need a Genealogist to help. Anyone willing.?

Jan

Comment

Janice22
                  Macbev
                  I merged the topics - and I have no idea what went wrong got an error message and second one has disappeared. I still have it open in another window so have added copy of it - so so sorry :(

researching years 1894 to 1913 Sydney New South Wales
                  Yesterday, 00:29
                  Help needed. Edward Allen Atkinson b. 4 Jan 1875 Durham England. Arrived Sydney 1891 with family aged 15. Daughter Amy Isabel born 1893 Balmain. Edward went to South Africa under own steam, served with volunteers and then returned, married 1902 Mary Margaret Williamson, Mother of Amy. I have stories told in our childhood of Amy spending her younger years in Bulawayo ???? cannot find passenger lists. School enrolments through this era seem to be difficult through NAA. Edward had more children 1904 and 1914. I think I need a Genealogist to help. Anyone willing.?

Jan

Yesterday, 08:32
                  There is an E.A Atkinson, 27 yrs departing Sydney 25 Oct 1902 on the 'Persic', bound for Cape Town. However, it seems odd that this would have been the same year he married Mary (unless she went with him?)
                  https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer...rue&pId=523935

Allan J. Atkinson b. 1903 Sydney NSW to parents Edward A Atkinson & Mary M

Edward Allan Atkinson died 1974, obit date for 7 Mar 1974, spouse Mary
                  Chn: Allan, Clare, Jack, Ned, Amy, Win, Walter, Molly

Mary Margaret Atkinson died 25.10,1956 Woy Woy, administrator of her estate, E.A. Atkinson
                  Beverley

Yesterday, 09:02
                  Amy Atkinson married William Stent in Parramatta 1941
                  https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...of%20woy%20woy

Win Atkinson mar James Laws 1938 Parramatta
                  https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...0pendle%20hill

I think I have provided you with some of this info on another thread. What exactly are you looking for?

Beverley

I seem to recall that the Amy Isabel Atkinson b. 1893 Balmain was sister to, not daughter of the Edward Allen Atkinson who married Mary Margaret Williamson. Sister Amy Isabel married Edwin Taylor in 1921, daughter Amy married William Stent in 1941
                  Beverley

Yesterday, 10:14
                  This is possibly the Atkinson family emigrating to Australia
                  24 Apr 1891 London to Sydney per 'Oroya'. The ages are not quite compatible with the 1891 census, but perhaps it was a cheaper fare for younger children. I know I had one family of mine who grew mysteriously younger on their cruise from Scotland to Canada.

Mr E Atkinson, 41, (tailor....a change of profession, I know, as he was listed as a builder in Australia, but he was a grocer on the 1881 census)
                  Mrs M Atkinson, 40
                  Mr Ed (Master Edward?) Atkinson, 15
                  Mary Atkinson, 11
                  Annie Atkinson, 9
                  Margt (Florence) Atkinson, 7
                  https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...&rhSource=6598
                  Beverley

Edward Allen Atkinson married Mary Dodds RY:1872 ; RQ:Apr-May-Jun; RD:South Shields, Durham; vol:10a;page:955
                  Beverley

Originally posted by Macbev View Post

Beverley

I think I have provided you with some of this info on another thread. What exactly are you looking for?
                  Thankyou Macbev
                  Have ruled this one out.
                  Jan

Edward Allen Atkinson married Mary Dodds RY:1872 ; RQ:Apr-May-Jun; RD:South Shields, Durham; vol:10a;page:955
                  Thankyou Macbev,
                  This is the father
                  Jan

Today, 01:35
                  This is possibly the Atkinson family emigrating to Australia
                  24 Apr 1891 London to Sydney per 'Oroya'. The ages are not quite compatible with the 1891 census, but perhaps it was a cheaper fare for younger children. I know I had one family of mine who grew mysteriously younger on their cruise from Scotland to Canada.

Mr E Atkinson, 41, (tailor....a change of profession, I know, as he was listed as a builder in Australia, but he was a grocer on the 1881 census)
                  Mrs M Atkinson, 40
                  Mr Ed (Master Edward?) Atkinson, 15
                  Mary Atkinson, 11
                  Annie Atkinson, 9
                  Margt (Florence) Atkinson, 7
                  https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...&rhSource=6598

Thankyou Macbev.
                  Yes this is the information I am following.
                  Jan

Today, 01:38

Macbev,
                  Definitely no Stent in our family.
                  Thanks Jan
                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 02-11-20, 10:07.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you so much everyone. I took every little bit of info provided and Yes, I have two Amy Atkinson and two Edward A Atkinson. Took a while but these 4 are attached to their rightful branches now.

One happy chappy.
                    Jan

Comment

Working...
                    X