93rd Highlanders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93rd Highlanders.

I am looking for a John Rob(b) b 1829, in St Quivox ,Ayr Scotland . His parents were Peter Rob and Marion Low. I have him on 1841 census , Dundee,Scotland , listed in 93rd Highlanders Regiment Depot . I can`t seem to find him after that . I think the regiment might have been in India about 1851 c
    Appreciate any help

EP

MyHeritage has a John Robb age 31 at sea in HMS Curlew, and in 1871 one in Parkhurst Prison.

But there are lots of them.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Julip I have John Robb in 1841 with Dob 1821. On FMP with Baptism 1820.

​​​​​​93rd Rgt is ? Sutherland Highlanders

Will recheck

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
        Julip I have John Robb in 1841 with Dob 1821. On FMP with Baptism 1820.

​​​​​​93rd Rgt is ? Sutherland Highlanders

Will recheck

Vera
        Yes, they were the Sutherland Highlanders. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/93rd_(...giment_of_Foot

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

Yes, they were the Sutherland Highlanders. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/93rd_(...giment_of_Foot

Thanks Gallowaylass. That was very informative. So Canada, India and a few stops in between. No wonder they were pensioned off as not only disabled but battle worn. Brave men

Vera

Comment

Many thanks for the info everyone . Still trying to work out where they were. Left Canada in 1834, in UK 1841, but just can`t work out where they went. It is possible he died young . As mentioned there are an awful lot of them !
            Thanks
            EP

Comment

These two books mentioned at the end of the wikipedia article might be worth borrowing via inter library loan.

Burgoyne, Roderick Hamilton (1883). Historical Records of the 93rd Sutherland Highlanders. London: Richard Bentley & Sons. (This one is available free at archive.org. Just click on the title)

Groves, Lieutenant-Colonel Percy (1895). History of the 93rd Sutherland Highlanders: Now the 2nd Battalion Princess Louise's Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders: Cape of Good Hope, Alma, Balaclava, Sevastopol, Lucknow, 1800-1895. W. & A.K. Johnston, Edinburgh & London

This is a page of links to info about the 93rd, also at the bottom of the article.

Comment

Julip

I have checked for Pension records and although some for 93RD b Scotland in the likely time frame for discharge, not seeing John. Looked for John on FMP India for bmd's. Nothing.

His family seen to have settled n Glasgow. Can't see John with them although haven't checked out Helen and William

Having re read Wiki will check out Canada

Just an aside my 2x grandparents resided in the same buildings as Kinnaird in 1861 when he was in the NE

Vera

Comment

If there are any discharge papers for him, assuming he was discharged by 1854, search WO97 in the TNA Catalogue and, if found, look at actual images on FMP, and also search FMP, in case he was discharged later than that. The best way, if no discharge papers are found, would be to trace him forwards from 1841 by following him in the Muster Rolls for his Regiment, which would, at some stage, give the date he died or date he was discharged. The Musters aren't online, though - you would have to go to Kew or get someone to go for you
                  The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                  Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Vera ,
                    I have checked other family members census records, but nothing came up. They were a BIG family and were spread about a bit !
                    Ann
                    Thanks for Kew info. Hopefully there might be something useful on that.
                    I have looked at immigration records but don`t have full ancestry.
                    Galloway
                    Took a while but I trolled through the pages hoping for a mention even if it was a death , but no name there either.seem to be in Crimea in 1851c, a few names of casualties mentioned but no John Robb among them .
                    Thanks

Comment

Julip

Do you have any evidence, other than the 1841 census, which suggests John Robb was in the Army. I can see a John Robb on the 1841 at the Dundee Barracks, 93rd Regiment depot, aged 20, not born in County but born in the UK.

Tried looking at another Soldier on the 1841 with John Robb, to hopefully reveal movement, but he had apparently gone to Canada 1839 suffered TB and pensioned off 1847. So that just confused me.

There are, if I remember, 2 other John Robb's in the 93rd, one b Perth the other Montrose.

There is a website which gives detailed movements of the 93rd. They were in EDIT 1840 Drumondsville, Falls of Niagra, April 1841, Toronto, May 1845 Montreal. Think this maybe an amateur web page as one of my gadgets identified it as insecure,
                      the tablet not so.

I did come across a headstone in Camp Hill Cemetery, Halifax, Nova Scotia for a John Robb who died 1842. Looks like military memorial to me. That cemetery opened 1844 so possibly buried in Old Burial Ground, Halifax, NS

Vera
                      ​​​​​

Comment

This is a good site for movement of the 93rd

John Robb, if alive, should be on the 1851 census EDIT at Edinburgh

Vera

Comment

Vera

Great site !

I checked 1851 census edinburgh, and marriages but the marriages don`t give ages or trades ,so impossible to figure out .

Thanks everyone for taking the time , will keep plodding on . There are about 10 trees on ancestry, even they have nothing on him

EP

Comment

Julip

Of the other two John Robb's of the 93rd, I wonder if this is the one in the 1841?

FMP.
                            British Army Index 1851 01/03/1851 - 31/03/1851

John Robb
                            1425 Born Perth
                            Private 93 rd Highland Regiment of Foot
                            Edinburgh
                            ​​​​WO 12/9430

FMP
                            British Army Service Record - Discharge 1856
                            Dundee Barracks
                            Disability

1425 Pte John Robb
                            Trade Groom b Perth
                            Attested 93rd Rgt of Ft 02/06/1840
                            Aged 22

15 years 226 days Service

Abroad Nth America 6 1/12 years
                            Eastern Expedition 1 6/12

Vera

Comment

Thanks Vera.

My John Robb was definitely born in Ayrshire . A pity he didn`t have a middle name that would have narrowed it down .

Comment

Julip

I was wondering if your John Robb was in another Regiment. There is one in the 1841 census at Woolwich Dockyard b 1821 Scotland attached to the 7 battalion Royal Regiment of Artillery

The Soldier from Perth also appears in the 1841 British Army Index on FMP

John Robb
                                Pte 1425 93rd
                                Sub Unit Depot
                                Aberdeen & Dundee
                                WO 12/9421

Vera

Comment

Think I have hit a brick wall here with John Robb .
                                  Getting a bit crosseyed now.
                                  Thanks to all of you for advice

EP

Comment

Working...
                                  X