Can anyone decipher this name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone decipher this name?

Hello! Can anyone help with telling me what the name of the next of kin could possibly be or what some of the letters are at least? I think it may say Johanna Mag? But honestly, I have no idea. Thank you!
    Attached Files

The first letter of her last name looks like B. There’s a capital B to compare it with down the page in the Character section.

Comment

First letter could be an M.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

1st name looks like Ann to me.......
        Jacky

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
          1st name looks like Ann to me.......
          I agree, the writer seems to like little circles in letters, has done the same with the D for Dad. although maybe not consistently!

Bag?
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 18-10-20, 18:47.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Just noticed that it looks like two different people wrote the line naming next of kin and the lines about his character and the two below that. The initials of the officer making the entry are in the last column and the initials for the next of kin line are different to those for the person who wrote the three lines at the bottom. So I now think I was wrong in post #2 that the capital B in Bad matched the first letter of the surname of the next of kin.
            Now I really haven’t a clue what the mother’s name could be.

Comment

Not sure of mother’s first name but think surname could be Bag, despite the Bad in the character comments and the NOK details being written by 2 different people.I wonder why “mother” is in inverted commas?

I did a quick search for Bag/Bagg/Bagge in the 1901 Irish census - no results for Bag but virtually all the results for Bagg and Bagge were from Waterford, so it looks to be a very localised surname.
              I can’t make out the the first word in the address but the rest reads Parish of Modiligo, county Waterford. (Modern spelling for the parish is Modelligo)

Christine
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

I think the first word of the place has been written as Vickerstown but the correct spelling according to Google is Vicarstown. There are two townlands - Vicarstown North and Vicarstown South, both in the parish of Modelligo, County Waterford.

Comment

Thanks all. I think it may be Bag too, or Bagge because, my GG grandfather was WIlliam Heffernan and there is a William born around the time to an Ann Bagg so it could be. I also wondered why the word mother was inverted commas, I wasn't sure if that was normal or not. I believe the 1st word of the address is Vickerstown, could be wrong though.

Comment

That makes sense. I couldn’t find a Bag or variant in Vicarstown on 1901 or 1911 censuses but there are Heffernan and variants. Have added in House number 1 in 1901 because in 1911 part of what is likely this family are now in Vicarstown South with a Heffernan servant. Looks like father has died and the brothers have moved house. You can see the “all information” in the actual images at http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Residents of a house 1 in Vicarstown North (Modelligo, Waterford)

Show all information
                    Kiely Patrick 60 Male Head of Family Catholic
                    Kiely Michael 30 Male Son Catholic
                    Kiely Patrick 28 Male Son Catholic
                    Kiely John 24 Male Son Catholic
                    Walsh Margret 20 Female Servant Catholic
                    Walsh Noragh 10 Female Servant Catholic
                    Morrisey Thomas 60 Male Servant Catholic
                    1901 Residents of a house 2 in Vicarstown North (Modelligo, Waterford)

Show all information
                    Cullinane Michael 38 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic
                    Cullinane Mary 60 Female Wife Roman Catholic
                    Mahony Maggie 18 Female Relative Roman Catholic
                    1901 Residents of a house 3 in Vicarstown North (Modelligo, Waterford)

Show all information
                    Heffernan Ellen 50 Female Head of Family Roman Catholic
                    Heffernan Kate 12 Female Daughter Roman Catholic
                    Heffernan Hanora 11 Female Daughter Roman Catholic
                    Heffernan Ellen 9 Female Daughter Roman Catholic
                    Heffernan Michael 8 Male Son Roman Catholic
                    1911 Residents of a house 1 in Vicarstown, North (Modelligo, Waterford)

Show all information
                    Kiely John 32 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic
                    Kiely Michael 41 Male Brother Roman Catholic
                    Kiely Patrick 38 Male Brother Roman Catholic
                    Hoffernan Michael 18 Male Servant Roman Catholic
                    1911 Residents of a house 2 in Vicarstown, North (Modelligo, Waterford)

Show all information
                    Heffernane Ellen 60 Female Head of Family Roman Catholic
                    Heffernane Mary 21 Female Daughter Roman Catholic
                    Heffernane Ellen 20 Female Daughter Roman Catholic
                    1911 Residents of a house 1 in Vicarstown, South (Modelligo, Waterford)

Show all information
                    Hickey Patrick 51 Male Head of Family Catholic
                    Hickey Margaret 44 Female Wife Catholic
                    Hickey James 18 Male Son Catholic
                    Hickey John 17 Male Son Catholic
                    Hickey Bridget 16 Female Daughter Catholic
                    Hickey Richard 14 Male Son Catholic
                    Hickey Thomas 12 Male Son Catholic
                    Hickey Catherine 11 Female Daughter Catholic
                    Hickey Margaret 9 Female Daughter Catholic
                    Hickey Maurice 7 Male Son Catholic
                    Hickey Mary 2 Female Daughter Catholic
                    Cahill Patrick 65 Female Servant Catholic
                    Heffernane Norah 22 Male Servant Catholic

Comment

I found these records with the same parents and location as my WIlliam so I'm assuming they're his siblings but I can't find a marriage record for Anne Bagge and Michael Heffernan. Those census records look promising, maybe the Ellen is his sister but not sure as you'd have thought she maybe would've got married at some point? My William was in Wales in 1901 and 1911, can't find him in 1891 at all. I hope these links work.

Is the adding of "am" on the names just a thing they did on baptism records? I'm assuming their names are Ellen, Margaret and Honor but I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Nora View Post
                        I found these records with the same parents and location as my WIlliam so I'm assuming they're his siblings but I can't find a marriage record for Anne Bagge and Michael Heffernan. Those census records look promising, maybe the Ellen is his sister but not sure as you'd have thought she maybe would've got married at some point? My William was in Wales in 1901 and 1911, can't find him in 1891 at all. I hope these links work.

Is the adding of "am" on the names just a thing they did on baptism records? I'm assuming their names are Ellen, Margaret and Honor but I don't know.
                        Yes the -am ending on first names here is because it is the Latin accusative ending, the equivalent of the object in an English sentence.
                        The different endings of the parents’ first names are because it is the Latin genitive ending, the equivalent of son/daughter of Michael and Ann.
                        It is only first names that have inflected endings, never surnames.

Christine
                        Researching:
                        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

I presume you have this one?

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                            yeh, I'm assuming that's my William. I have William's birth cert too: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....81/2320163.pdf
                            I don't know why I can't find the others though.

Comment

The Irish Catholic records are free to view on FMP - as well as the 3 you found, I found William too. Gulielmus is the latinised version of William (Gulielmum in the accusative case)
                              https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/...ountry=ireland

Christine

Edit - doh, you’re a quicker typist than me, GL!
                              Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Nora View Post

I don't know why I can't find the others though.
                                You won’t find the other births as they predate the beginnings of civil registration of BMDs in Ireland, which only started in 1864 (unless you have Protestant ancestors, in which case marriages were registered from 1845.)

Christine

Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post

You won’t find the other births as they predate the beginnings of civil registration of BMDs in Ireland, which only started in 1864 (unless you have Protestant ancestors, in which case marriages were registered from 1845.)

Christine
                                  that explains the lack of finding anything then haha. So how do I find out who Ann and Michaels parents were or is it just an impossible cause?

Comment

I find FMP much more straightforward for searching the Catholic records, but couldn’t find a Heffernan-Bagg marriage. Double checked on the NLI site (the source for the Ancestry and FMP records) and the only records which have been digitised for Modelligo are baptisms 1846-1880, no marriages unfortunately.

This website contains images from the NLI’s collection of Catholic parish register microfilms. The registers contain records of baptisms and marriages from the majority of Catholic parishes in Ireland and Northern Ireland up to 1880.

Christine
                                    Researching:

Comment

I think this is Ann’s death in 1891.
                                      https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....%26district%3D

and that this is Michael’s death in 1890
                                      https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....%26district%3D

Informant for both is John Heffernan who is Michael’s son, but Ann’s stepson - so it looks like Michael has more children by an earlier wife...

Christine
                                      Researching:

Comment

Did anyone notice that on the pages of the baptismal register where Willaim's entry is, the surname Heffernan appears quite a few times. A Heffernan family must have been well known in church.

Comment

Working...
                                        X