Can anyone decipher this name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post

I haven’t looked beyond Vicarstown as keyword, but what I’ve gathered from searches so far: Heffernan marriages at Modelligo were registered in Lismore, births and deaths in Vicarstown were registered in Dungarvan, and they were up before the beak at Cappoquin.

Christine
    That’s also what I found but as I haven’t a clue where some of the placenames are that were involved in the offences, I didn’t bother posting the finds for Michael and the spade etc. in case it started a wild goose chase LOL

Comment

Yeh, to be honest I'm not sure where to start with the crime records, there's so many and even in the right area I still don't know lol. There was just too many Heffernan's being criminals! I think I found another child for Michael Heffernan and Anne Bagge but it's transcribed as Maria and it's hard to read on the page but I'm pretty sure it says Anne.
      This is the record:

I assume Patritium is Patrick?
      I found a dog license record too for one of the daughters in the right area. What was the point of such a record? It doesn't really give much information other than location.

Comment

Originally posted by Nora View Post
        Yeh, to be honest I'm not sure where to start with the crime records, there's so many and even in the right area I still don't know lol. There was just too many Heffernan's being criminals! I think I found another child for Michael Heffernan and Anne Bagge but it's transcribed as Maria and it's hard to read on the page but I'm pretty sure it says Anne.
        This is the record:
        https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource
        I assume Patritium is Patrick?
        I found a dog license record too for one of the daughters in the right area. What was the point of such a record? It doesn't really give much information other than location.
        Yes, it’s Patrick and I agree it’s Ann as mother.
        Re the dog licence - yes, they don’t tell you a great deal, but in the days before irishgenealogy.ie came online, I was reduced to trawling through them to deduce when someone might have died or emigrated when they no longer got a licence. I’ve heard tell of records where the dog’s name was recorded, which is a nice touch, but have never come across one myself.
        Re the petty sessions records - if you’ve now got a reasonable tree together, and have tracked descendants from BMDs and 1901 and 1911 census, make a note of the townland where they lived and see if that narrows things down. Whatever, they can be quite entertaining to read (more serious crimes would have gone to the quarter sessions/assizes.)
        Most of mine are disputes/feuds with family and neighbours, but a lot of the time they didn’t even bother turning up to the court- just no app recorded in the verdict section.

Christine
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

My tree mainly consists of welsh records on my grandmothers side. The Irish stuff is only on my GG Grandads side so gonna work on filling them out, it's just hard though because I've never searched Irish things before now. Most of the crime records I've found with people who could be Michael seem to include other Heffernan's. Mainly mass brawls and being too drunk with the odd bit of stealing. There's just so many but I'll start to try and filter it to Waterford or Vicarstown. Not knowing the geography of Ireland and where the cases would go court doesn't help but yep, I agree they are fun to read. I found one Heffernan that was caught stealing two turkeys haha.

Comment

Working...
          X