Help with passenger lists, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with passenger lists, please

I'm starting this as a new query but there is background to the people concerned in another thread if you want to read through it. https://www.familytreeforum.com/foru...age-and-births

I am trying to pin down some detail about which family members went to Australia, came back, stayed, didn't stay etc and it's all quite complicated and not helped by people apparently changing their first names from time to time. Luckily the surname is distinctive so easier to narrow down.

So I'm trawling through passenger lists trying to put together the puzzle pieces and have found one where some other people appear to be travelling with Mr and Mrs SKITTERAL. You can see the list here which I got from Ancestry Worldwide via my library subscription.

https://www.ancestrylibraryedition.c...amp;hintid=&am
    This is the image if the link doesn't work for you.

The list reads

453... Mrs E J Skittrall... 45
    ..................Mrs S Davis..25
    ..............?? C Gardiner...22
    ................Ellen E do.........

454 Hy Skittrall.............. 45 .................Warehouseman
    ...................Hy Gardiner 26

Can anyone tell me the significance of the way these people are grouped? Does it mean that the women were in one berth and the men in another? Would they have been randomly grouped like that by the shipping company or can I assume that they are friends / family travelling together (in which case I will research further to find the connection) ?
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

I think the number is the ticket number, so possibly what they chose to do, cheapest way to travel for them I would think. But maybe they chose to do it with the shipping company offering shared berths? rather than them choosing, my heart wants them to be a group of friends all going together

Looking through records recently for someone else on here, people were crossed out, so we assumed ticket sold, but they never embarked.

Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks, Carolyn.

I can't decide at the moment whether these are even the right people. If they are they should be Elizabeth nee Godfrey b 1842 and James C Skitteral b1839. So maybe it's not even the right people.
      Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I'm still scratching around in passenger lists, not helped by 3 young woman all called Elizabeth or Eliza all marrying men called Skitt*l around the same time so they are all called E Skitt*l in one form or another.

Anyway today's question is just to confirm an occupation which might help to sort some of them out. The top one on this list - I have an idea what it says but would like your confirmations, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
          I'm still scratching around in passenger lists, not helped by 3 young woman all called Elizabeth or Eliza all marrying men called Skitt*l around the same time so they are all called E Skitt*l in one form or another.

Anyway today's question is just to confirm an occupation which might help to sort some of them out. The top one on this list - I have an idea what it says but would like your confirmations, please.

Raily labourer- abbreviation for railway labourer.
          Researching:
          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thank you, Karamazov, that’s what I thought

Comment

Working...
            X