Find My Past lookup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past lookup

Walter George Bezance was born Q2 1896 in Yarmouth ref 4b 8a. FMP and FreeBMD find him but the GRO doesn't and I want his MMS. Can someone with a FMP sub look it up, or can someone smarter than me locate him on GRO?
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

there isn't a MMN on FMP
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Oh I was told there was. And the GRO has no fuzzy search.

Comment

cannot find him on the GRO

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
          Oh I was told there was. And the GRO has no fuzzy search.
          there often is but not on that record is that what you mean? I assume you know that Bezance is his fathers name.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

could this be his naval record? if so he added two years to his age.
            Attached Files

Comment

this may be his parents marriage
              Walter George Bezance
              Male
              Single
              31 May 1896
              Yarmouth St Nicholas, Norfolk, England
              Walter George Bezance
              Mary Ann Westgate

Comment

Well that has thrown a cat among the pigeons! I was working on the assumption that he was the illegitimate son of Alice Ellen Bezance. I now need his MMS even more as Westgate is now a possibility. Back to the drawing board.

Comment

His Brother is on the GRO if its him

BEZANCE, ALBERT VICTOR WESTGATE
                  GRO Reference: 1898 D Quarter in YARMOUTH GREAT YARMOUTH Volume 04B Page 12

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

there often is but not on that record is that what you mean? I assume you know that Bezance is his fathers name.
                    I thought you meant that FMP did not show MMNs at all. If there generally is, but not one shown for him, does that indicate illegitimacy like on the GRO?

Comment

I thought you meant that FMP did not show MMNs at all. If there generally is, but not one shown for him, does that indicate illegitimacy like on the GRO?
                      It can, but think FMP does have more missing than GRO, so could be inaccurate as well.

so annoying that it isn't on GRO, tried a few different ideas and not managed to find it.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

I think FMP are in the process of adding mmn. But if it isn't on the GRO index they won't have it because they are compiling them from there, I believe. That is not to mean that it is an illegitimate but just that it has been missed or very badly mistranscribed on the GRO index.
                        Anne

Comment

There is also this one:

BEZANCE, JAMES WILLIAM mmn SMOWTON
                          GRO Reference: 1894 D Quarter in GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH Volume 04B Page 6
                          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

a thanks would have been nice

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                              Oh dear my apologies. You stay up later than me and I missed the last few posts last night. A (belated) thankyou to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post

Oh dear my apologies. You stay up later than me and I missed the last few posts last night. A (belated) thankyou to everyone.
                                Please be nice - do remember that we are not all in the UK and we do not all spend all our time hanging over the computer!!
                                Caroline
                                Caroline's Family History Pages
                                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

A friend of mine, let's call him "B" died a few years ago and I am trying to do his tree for his widow. She has supplied me with his birth certificate showing his father as "E" and E's foreign birth and baptism certificates showing his date of birth as 1923, and E's father to be Walter George Bezance born in Great Yarmouth. No date of birth is given but around the 1890s seems likely.

In 1911 there is a suitable boy aged 14, let's call him WG 1896 living with Hermond Spurgeon and his wife Alice Ellen who I take to be the same woman as in 1901.

In 1901 what appears to be the same boy aged 4 is living with his grandfather, also called Walter George (WG 1854) and his wife Sophia and their daughter Alice E Fleet. From this I surmise that either WG 1896 is the illegitimate son of Alice or WG 1854 had a son who is WG 1896's father.

In 1881 and 1891 WG 1854 is living with his brother James and has a son Walter aged 6/16 - (WG 1875). So he is the prime candidate to be the father of WG 1896 except why is WG 1896 living with grandparents in 1901 and aunt Alice in 1911?

Val found the marriage of a WG to Mary Ann Westgate in 1896. The date is right for this to be WG 1875. The year is the same as WG 1896 was born. By 1911 they had 3 children, but have not taken in WG 1896.

So is WG 1896 the son of WG 1875 or is he the illegitimate son of Alice? My money is on the latter. If I could find him on the GRO I would know.

Comment

A Walter George is registered under Westgate on GRO no mmn
                                    1896 June Quarter Great Yarmouth Vol 4B Page 8

Vera

Comment

Good call Vera the marriage was 31 May 1896 so probably born before that date. I would have thought if they were intending to marry the father would have acknowledged the birth. Strange.
                                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                                        A Walter George is registered under Westgate on GRO no mmn
                                        1896 June Quarter Great Yarmouth Vol 4B Page 8

Vera
                                        Amazing. Do you think that the same baby was somehow registered twice? Or was there an original registration as Westgate, which GRO have indexed, and a subsequent change to Bezance, which FreeBMD and FMP have indexed? But if they went to the trouble of changing the registration it seems odd that they did not take him in.

And what does "Occasional Copy: A" on the GRO mean?

I could order this one if there is any chance of there being any more information on it. Is there any advantage of a paper copy over a pdf?

Later: I see that FreeBMD have both names.

Comment

Working...
                                        X