• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

perhaps his death (different place)
    Mendel Derambus
    abt 1857
    Jan-Feb-Mar

Not a lot of records to be seen in between - transcriptions must be mangled.

Comment

Which would be consistent with this 1911 record
      Mandle Derambus
      abt 1859
      Head
      Male
      Poland
      Liverpool
      Strange - he says he's married, but there are no other household members.

And he teaches Hebrew - the only connection to Simon may have been thru the synagogue

Oh, wait - "separated" has been crossed out and in a different hand is written "married"

Comment

This looks like him as well

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Hope the link works ha ha!
        Jacky

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
          This looks like him as well

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Hope the link works ha ha!
          does the fact that he is the synagogue caretaker might mean he is often a witness?
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

does the fact that he is the synagogue caretaker might mean he is often a witness?
            I think that's a strong possibility. Shame we can't see the synagogue's registry to see who are witnesses at other weddings.

Link worked fine. Interesting that he was from Poland, but a Russian subject. That was my experience with my friend's peeps - borders changed, so each census could have birth place variations on the theme. I've seen similar boundary/country changes with my own g'grandfather - Ireland and then Free Ireland

Comment

A quick summary of what is known about Simeon (I think?) will check newspapers for the addresses

12 Lydia Street, Leeds Lodging age 20 (b1871) lodging with the Labovitch family (all born in Russia and tailors) and Louis Kolmenson is also lodging

43 Cannon Street, Leeds age 25 (b1871) marriage

8 Sheepscar Place, Leeds age 31 (b1870) with Nathan family

5 Glover Street, Leeds age 43 (b1868) with Nathan family

5 Glover Street, Leeds (elec roll) with son

117 Ordsall Lane, Salford age 77 (b1862), living with daughter

1943 & 1947
              (deaths) 210 Brunswick Road, Chorlton on Medlock age 78 (b1869)

No reg of electors available for Brunswick Street on line see post 12

Naturalisation records after 1916 are not on Ancestry see posts number post 19-21

Only town mentioned for PoB is Manupole, Russia

Father is Moses Marks on marriage cert
              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 24-10-20, 20:22.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

could fully research the Nathan family, there are a number of them, maybe some other paths crossing, but think that maybe unlikely.

would still go for the Will, might mention someone, possibly unlikely

It is looking like he came across on his own, I can't find any records of crossings? anyone else tried and failed?
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

cbcarolyn Thank you for the summary!

OP, another proven technique is to see if other lines know anything. You could try contacting anyone descended from Amelia's nieces or nephews.

Comment

A quick summary of what is known about Simeon (I think?) will check newspapers for the addresses

12 Lydia Street, Leeds Lodging age 20 (b1871) lodging with the Labovitch family (all born in Russia and tailors) and Louis Kolmenson is also lodging

43 Cannon Street, Leeds age 25 (b1871) marriage

8 Sheepscar Place, Leeds age 31 (b1870) with Nathan family

5 Glover Street, Leeds age 43 (b1868) with Nathan family

5 Glover Street, Leeds (elec roll) with son

117 Ordsall Lane, Salford age 77 (b1862), living with daughter

1943 & 1947
                    (deaths) 210 Brunswick Road, Chorlton on Medlock age 78 (b1869)

No reg of electors available for Brunswick Street on line see post 12

Naturalisation records after 1916 are not on Ancestry see posts number post 19-21

Only town mentioned for PoB is Manupole, Russia

Father is Moses Marks on marriage cert
                    Thanks Carolyn. Is there any chance your timeline can be put under Michael's 1st post, then we can access it without scrolling through the thread?
                    Jacky

Comment

have added to original post
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Now that I have summarised it, penny hadn't dropped that the reg of elector is same address as 1911 census, and I can see Henry on the roll in prior years, so maybe that is indicating when he got his naturalisation.

The women wouldn't be on there until 1929 anyway.

the indexing seems to start in 1920 with Nathaniel Nathan and in 1924 he and Henry are there, then just Henry.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Just a thought re poland, it was a country in it's own right until 1772, until the "partitions of poland". when russia, (catherine the great) prussia (frederick the great) and austria (empress maria theresa) decided under a secret treaty, to invade and annex parts of poland. Prussia and russia did it again in 1793, and then 1795 the three powers carved up what was left of poland. It was wiped off the map until 1918, when the allied powers reconstituted the country, along with new territories from the previous empires.
                          ​​​​https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partitions_of_Poland

the history leading up to the partitions is rather complicated, but quite interesting.

so if you family comes from "poland" or "russia", it's likely eastern poland and surrounding territories. Might help in finding records or history groups to help.

Comment

deleted by me - info re naturalisation was for Marks Simons not Simon Marks in 1919 Manchester
                            Last edited by Katarzyna; 25-10-20, 10:28.
                            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

So many newspaper reports refer to Marks half of Marks and Spencer....
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

So many newspaper reports refer to Marks half of Marks and Spencer....
                                M&S are getting my way of research as well.....but who knows what we dig up!
                                Jacky

Comment

The M&S names do make it harder.
                                  I saw a suggestion to use the Jewish Chronicle archives which I paid for and found loads of hits for Simon Marks - only to find he was the son of the founder of M&S (became a Sir) and not the same Simon Marks I am looking for! There were thousands of hits but I didn't find any for the Simon Marks I am searching for.

If only they were the same person..........

Comment

Originally posted by mmarksx19 View Post
                                    The M&S names do make it harder.
                                    I saw a suggestion to use the Jewish Chronicle archives which I paid for and found loads of hits for Simon Marks - only to find he was the son of the founder of M&S (became a Sir) and not the same Simon Marks I am looking for! There were thousands of hits but I didn't find any for the Simon Marks I am searching for.

If only they were the same person..........
                                    if only - that would have been exciting!
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Michael Marks (M&S) was born in Russia, come to Leeds 1882, and died in Manchester. I have been looking for his family tree to see how it branches out but here is his Wikipedia.....

I wonder if Simon is a distant relation?.
                                      Jacky

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                                        Michael Marks (M&S) was born in Russia, come to Leeds 1882, and died in Manchester. I have been looking for his family tree to see how it branches out but here is his Wikipedia.....

I wonder if Simon is a distant relation?.
                                        It is possible but I don't think so.

Marks wouldn't have been his or our original name so there would have been a lot of immigrants from Poland/Russia etc that had names Anglicized to Marks. Of course I would love to be wrong!

Comment

• Originally posted by mmarksx19 View Post

It is possible but I don't think so.

Marks wouldn't have been his or our original name so there would have been a lot of immigrants from Poland/Russia etc that had names Anglicized to Marks. Of course I would love to be wrong!
                                          What evidence is there of that Michael?
                                          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
                                          X