Where do I start researching my Great Grandfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmarksx19 View Post
    I presume X for the informant (his mother) signifies she was illiterate?

Michael
    Yes. It means she could not write. Probably could not read either. I would have expected to see the words “her mark”. It should be on the original handwritten entry.

Comment

MARKS Amelia 1943 Failsworth ** age 78 - b 1865

MARKS Simon 1947 Failsworth ** age 78 b - 1869

Assuming they were buried in a Jewish cemetery these are the most likely and ages are correct.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
        MARKS Amelia 1943 Failsworth ** age 78 - b 1865

MARKS Simon 1947 Failsworth ** age 78 b - 1869

Assuming they were buried in a Jewish cemetery these are the most likely and ages are correct.
        Where are you finding this?
        I went onto the Failsworth Jewish cemetery website and the name came up not found???

Comment

cemetery marks.JPG
          FreeBMD
          Deaths Mar 1947
          Marks Simon 78 Manchester 10e 136

gives birth year 1869
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 23-10-20, 14:47.
          Kat

Comment

Same for Amelia:
            MARKS Amelia 1943 Failsworth
            FreeBMD
            Deaths Dec 1943
            Marks Amelia age 78 Manchester 8d 106
            Therefore born 1865

Unlike the Leeds Jewish Cemetery Site you have to buy credits in order to view the details for Failsworth.

Leeds does not have either a Simon or Amelia Marks Burial.
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 23-10-20, 14:58.
            Kat

Comment

Same for Amelia:
              MARKS Amelia 1943 Failsworth
              FreeBMD
              Deaths Dec 1943
              Marks Amelia age 78 Manchester 8d 106
              Therefore born 1865

Unlike the Leeds Jewish Cemetery Site you have to buy credits in order to view the details for Failsworth.

Leeds does not have either a Simon or Amelia Marks Burial.
              I bought some credits to get the full details but there is no reference in findagrave.
              General Info
              Old Database Failsworth Old ID 1180
              ID 19636 Cemetery Failsworth
              Synagogue Burial Board Holy Law
              City Manchester
              Name
              Surname MARKS Forenames Simon
              Otherwise known as Title Mr
              Hebrew Name (transliterated)
              Details of Death
              Place of Death 210 Brunswick Street
              Place of Death Line 1 Chorlton on Medlock Place of Death Line 2 Manchester
              Age At Death
              Date Of Death March 1947
              Hebrew Date Of Death
              Heb Date of Death Note
              Date Of Burial 3 March 1947
              Grave Info
              GraveNo 22 Block No
              Row No V Section No
              Plot No Registration Info
              Grave Info
              Reserved Plot Consecrated
              Tombstone Foundation
              Tombstone Replaced
              Before Death
              Birth Place Last Address Line 1
              Last Address Line 2 Last Address Line 3
              Date Of Birth
              Family Info
              Father's Hebrew Name Father's English Name
              Mother's Hebrew Name Mother's English Name
              Family Spouse
              Children Marital Status
              Informant Of Death
              Funeral Info
              Officiant Registrar C. M. Horridge - Reg
              Administrative Info
              Burial Slip No
              Info 1
              Info 2
              Memorial Info
              Stone Setting Stone Details
              Plaque Location Synagogue / Burial Board Ref 939
              Gender Male Child
              Shiva Details Funeral From
              Record Of Death No Record Of Death Issued
              Database Info
              General Info
              Old Database Failsworth Old ID 987
              ID 19464 Cemetery Failsworth
              Synagogue Burial Board Holy Law
              City Manchester
              Name
              Surname MARKS Forenames Amelia
              Otherwise known as Title
              Hebrew Name (transliterated)
              Details of Death
              Place of Death 210 Brunswick Street
              Place of Death Line 1 Chorlton on Medlock Place of Death Line 2 Manchester
              Age At Death
              Date Of Death November 1943
              Hebrew Date Of Death
              Heb Date of Death Note
              Date Of Burial 28 November 1943
              Grave Info
              GraveNo 35 Block No
              Row No Z Section No
              Plot No Registration Info
              Grave Info
              Reserved Plot Consecrated
              Tombstone Foundation
              Tombstone Replaced
              Before Death
              Birth Place Last Address Line 1 210 Brunswick Street
              Last Address Line 2 Chorlton on Medlock Last Address Line 3 Manchester
              Date Of Birth
              Family Info
              Father's Hebrew Name Father's English Name
              Mother's Hebrew Name Mother's English Name
              Family Spouse
              Children Marital Status
              Informant Of Death
              Funeral Info
              Officiant Registrar A. W. Dodd - Reg
              Administrative Info
              Burial Slip No
              Info 1
              Info 2
              Memorial Info
              Stone Setting Stone Details
              Plaque Location Synagogue / Burial Board Ref 748
              Gender Female Child
              Shiva Details Funeral From
              Record Of Death No Record Of Death Issued
              Database Info

So without visiting, I cannot see the gravestone to confirm (or deny). But that is great information - thank you.

Unusual in a Jewish cemetery that the husband and wife are not buried next to each other (assuming they are the correct 2 people)

Comment

By buying the death cert for one of them you will have the address at death. The Burial above says 210 Brunswick Street, Chorlton on Medlock, Manchester. Hopefully they will be the same. They could easily have moved from Salford to Charlton. Need to view Electoral Rolls to confirm that address but being war time not sure there were any.
                Kat

Comment

By buying the death cert for one of them you will have the address at death. The Burial above says 210 Brunswick Street, Chorlton on Medlock, Manchester. Hopefully they will be the same. They could easily have moved from Salford to Charlton. Need to view Electoral Rolls to confirm that address but being war time not sure there were any.
                  So my next 3 actions are;- await the marriage certificate to arrive (hopefully that gives a name for Simons father), ask the cemetery to take a photograph of both headstones (may give further information) and get hold of the death certificates.

All these actions will verify that I am looking at the correct people but still may not inform me of Simon (Simeon) original name and place of birth but it is one step closer.......

Thanks you all so much for your help. I have now found through your advice and posts a lot more sites to bookmarks and use for research.

Michael

Comment

Gravestone reads (the English bit)

In loving memory of our dear father Simon Marks who passed away 3rd August 1948 aged 92 years.
                    Deeply mourned by his sons, daughters, sons-in-law, daughters-in-law, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and relatives.
                    If we do find your Simon Marks gravestone, it would be worthwhile to get a translation of the Hebrew. I believe there are various Jewish genealogy groups on facebook. My friend was able to get her translations very quickly thru one of those groups.

Comment

All these actions will verify that I am looking at the correct people but still may not inform me of Simon (Simeon) original name and place of birth but it is one step closer

Michael
                      If you have the correct headstone, the birth name/Jewish name and the name of the father may be there in Hebrew.

Comment

My friend doesn't remember the newspaper archives that she used when researching Jewish connections in the UK. I have found this

dunno if it could help.

Comment

So my next 3 actions are;- await the marriage certificate to arrive (hopefully that gives a name for Simons father), ask the cemetery to take a photograph of both headstones (may give further information) and get hold of the death certificates.

All these actions will verify that I am looking at the correct people but still may not inform me of Simon (Simeon) original name and place of birth but it is one step closer.......

Thanks you all so much for your help. I have now found through your advice and posts a lot more sites to bookmarks and use for research.

Michael
                          and get Sarahs/Sadie will
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I also wonder about the synagogue's records?

These peeps seem to know the history of the synagogue

and have a page for the Leeds Jewish community

Comment

I think Brunswick Street is in Manchester City Council and only available at the library
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

The copy marriage certificate arrived this morning (attached).
                                Must be the right person but adds a different d.o.b. (married in June 1896 gives his age as 25) into the mix!
                                Does give his fathers name (Moses Marks) but doesnt lead me any closer to where born/brothers/sisters/mother/father other than the extra name.

I went onto findagrave but they have no reference to the deaths of either Amelia or Simon soI can't request a photo. What I can do is contact the cemetery and ask them if they will photograph and send me the gravestone images.
                                Attached Files

Comment

I am not experienced in this, but does almost make me wonder if that was just a name plucked out of the air (if that is possible), as nothing about profession or deceased. Ever changing age is not helping!

Have you followed through any of the links posted about Jewish genealogy?
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

There are still many stones to turn. We've identified a will to recover. Not sure that the birth or marriage certs for Sarah would turn anything up, except, possibly, interesting witnesses. Trying to identify the witnesses to Simon & Amelia's marriage might turn up something useful.

There is an email-based user group for Leeds Jewish Genealogy

I wonder if they know where the synagogue's records are located.

It's possible that on the death cert for Simon Marks there may be an informant that you could recognize, which would help verify the relationship.

I'm starting to suspect that Simon came to the UK as a young man, not accompanied by his parents. Since he's on electoral rolls, presumably he naturalized? Never heard an answer about that - but if so, his papers might provide a bunch of detail.

DNA testing might provide clues - maybe even answers.

Anyone who has researched for a while has likely experienced chasing the wrong lead - but you don't know that until you look.

Comment

What is the witness...Mendel's surname please. I have had a look into Jacob Lyons but cant tie Simon in with him.
                                      Jacky

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                                        What is the witness...Mendel's surname please.
                                        Drambus?

No - Derambus - his own marriage in Leeds
                                        Mendel Derambus
                                        Apr-May-Jun
                                        Leeds

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

Drambus?
                                          I was thinking along them lines too, PF.......but it's not a name I have heard before

And, the address Simon is, is Cannon St, Leeds isnt it?
                                          Jacky

Comment

Working...
                                          X