Vera

Comment

Found a Manchester listing which includes the cemetery in case it helps

Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

I can't see the probate? I was going to suggest Michael got it as only £1.50, might shed some light on family,
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

There's a Leeds database, they married at the Louis Street Synogogue

Amelia's parentage is there but not for Simon, as has been suggested, really need the marriage cert.

Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

does an address help in any way ?
            1901 census
            No 8 Sheepscar Place , Leeds Yorkshire
            Simeon Marks b 1870 , Russia
            other household members
            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

I found this site very useful when researching my ex's Jewish ancestors.

~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Really appreciate all your help and advice. I will order the marriage certificate and find the grave for further information and then let you know what I find.
                Once again - thank you all for your expertise.

Michael

Comment

I've ordered the marriage certificate so I'll update when it arrives......

Comment

We look forward to seeing the info, Michael........hopefully, it will move us on a bit.
                    Jacky

Comment

Just a general question, I've been using myheritage for researching and building the tree, a lot of the links on here are through ancestry. Is ancestry a better database? What are the main differences between the 2?

Comment

You can register for an Ancestry account without subscribing, and you can go to the card catalogue and see all the record sets they have, I have never used myHeritage so I can't off you a comparison. It does to an extent depend on where your ancestors lived, and if you have big geographical groupings you might find one has more parish/local records than another.

I can still access the library edition from my library at home, as our libraries are not fully opened, and I can also access findmypast in same way - so worth checking with your library website if you can see it, you might be lucky.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

When you register, you can sign up for a free two weeks. You must given them a credit card, and if you don't want to stay with the service, be sure to cancel before the deadline. Perhaps even a couple of days before. Keep a copy of your cancellation receipt. Any tree that you build on ancestry can still be accessed after cancellation, but any records that you attach to the tree will be unavailable unless you re-up.

You can also download your MH tree using a gedcom format, and then upload that to ancestry. That way you may avoid building a tree from scratch. Is your tree private? You may set it as private on Ancestry - but there are two layers of privacy: indexed for view on searches, and not indexed. You can only set the latter by editing the tree settings.

Comment

Originally posted by annette.humphreys View Post
                            Looks like their daughter Sarah Marks married a Harry M. Segal in Dec.1927 Leeds.

In 1939 this couple are living in Salford (Manchester) and with them are Simon Marks b. September 1862 (?) Tailor, retired and Amelia Marks b.16/10/1865 (?) - their birth years a little adrift but this looks like their deaths:

Simon Marks bc.1869 died Mar.1947 Manchester
                            Amelia Marks bc.1865 died Dec.1943 Manchester

(I note that when a different person with same name died his probate was in name of Marcovitch so this may be the original surname of your Simon).

Annette
                            May I ask (as a beginner in this) how you got to this information?

A got a picture of the gravestone but I don't think it is the same person as the gravestone mentions sons, daughters and great grandchildren (though none by name) and the Simon I am researching had a daughter Sarah (who had no children) and a son Henry who had one child (my dad) who didn't have children until 1964 - well after Simon (Simeon) deceased. So, unless there were previous children before he met/married Amelia then I think it may be a different person?

Michael

Comment

This is exactly why getting certificates are so important. It is so easy to follow the wrong path. I,m not saying that info is wrong, however. Sometimes very surprising facts are revealed. I am looking forward to see what the marriage certificate throws up.?
                              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by mmarksx19 View Post

May I ask (as a beginner in this) how you got to this information?

A got a picture of the gravestone but I don't think it is the same person as the gravestone mentions sons, daughters and great grandchildren (though none by name) and the Simon I am researching had a daughter Sarah (who had no children) and a son Henry who had one child (my dad) who didn't have children until 1964 - well after Simon (Simeon) deceased. So, unless there were previous children before he met/married Amelia then I think it may be a different person?

Michael
                                do you actually have any idea when and where Simeon died or no clue? The newspapers can sometimes be helpful, to find parents I guess we need to be hopeful that he may have some siblings that were around, and get them connected together.

Is the Sarah marriage correct to Harry?

the 1939 register does look like them if the marriage is correct, (not sure you can see this yet as not made enough posts.)

Screenshot 2020-10-22 at 10.32.21.png
                                address: 117. Ordsall Lane, Salford, Lancashire, England
                                Sarah's Occupation: Shopkeeper (Cycle & Radio) Harry a Radio engineer)
                                Sarah dob 14/7/1899

If indeed it is correct then it is likely their deaths were in Salford
                                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 22-10-20, 10:40.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

do you actually have any idea when and where Simeon died or no clue? The newspapers can sometimes be helpful, to find parents I guess we need to be hopeful that he may have some siblings that were around, and get them connected together.

Is the Sarah marriage correct to Harry?

the 1939 register does look like them if the marriage is correct, (not sure you can see this yet as not made enough posts.)

Screenshot 2020-10-22 at 10.32.21.png
                                  address: 117. Ordsall Lane, Salford, Lancashire, England
                                  Sarah's Occupation: Shopkeeper (Cycle & Radio) Harry a Radio engineer)
                                  Sarah dob 14/7/1899

If indeed it is correct then it is likely their deaths were in Salford
                                  Sarah did marry Harry and they did live in the Manchester region so the names match.

Comment

so in the right area, but not right burial in Blackley in 1948. Interesting that Simeon doesn't know his dob, also his year of birth is different to the census, so he possibly doesn't know that for sure.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                      so in the right area, but not right burial in Blackley in 1948. Interesting that Simeon doesn't know his dob, also his year of birth is different to the census, so he possibly doesn't know that for sure.
                                      It's not easy! This is why I got stuck. I don't know his real name, I don't know his DOB, I don't know his date of death and I don't know where he came from. Apart from that............ Technically, he may have had other children as he was around 30 years old when he married Amelia but I was never made aware of this. Unfortunately, my father passed away about 15 years ago and was the only living descendant that I am aware of.

I have ordered the marriage certificate which I am pretty sure is the correct one (Siomon/Simeon Marks marrying Amelia Nathan) so as soon as that arrives we might have more to go on (hopefully).

Comment

Have you taken a DNA test? It might help.

Comment

Is this correct:
                                          Simon/Simeon Marks had two children, Sarah & Henry, both born in the UK, both married in the UK

Do you have the birth certs for Sarah & Henry? His name will be repeated on those certs as well.

Also - Sarah/Sadie married? Her marriage cert should also have her father's name.

You know when Sarah/Sadie died? Any chance of an obit?

Comment

Working...
                                          X