Where do I start researching my Great Grandfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
    mmarksx19 As noted in another section - familytreeDNA.com now has its Y-DNA testing on sale. Y-DNA testing might give you a surname. Autosomal testing would be better for identifying closer relatives. Usual recommended progression for autosomal testing: Test at AncestryDNA, migrate to Gedmatch &/or FamilytreeDNA &/or MyHeritage &/or LivingDNA. Migrations are low cost or even no cost compared to testing. Test separately at 23andme (they don't accept outside testing results). Each company has its own database to "fish" in, tho there's a lot of overlap.

There's also a German company that does Y-DNA testing. It does its own testing. Not sure if you can migrate results between the German company and ftDNA. I think (think!) the German company is Yseq.com.
    As an update - I have uploaded my DNA to Ancestry, myheritage, gedmatch, familytreeDNA and livingDNA.
    I am awaiting the (hopefully) correct citizenship papers for Simon/Simeon and am trying to get a photograph of his and his wifes graves which may include more information.

I will let you know when I progress! Many, many thanks for all your advice and help so far. I wouldn't have got this far without it.

Michael

Comment

• did you get the will?

Good news you found the papers, what date were they?
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
        did you get the will?

Good news you found the papers, what date were they?
        Missed the will bit - I will back track and find out how to get it.
        I THINK the naturlaization papers are for the correct person - once they arrive I will know better.

Comment

• it was Sarah they are only £1.50
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 20-11-20, 12:41.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• here is info
            Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
            There is a Sarah Segal death with same DoB as 1939 reg in sefton, will as follows:

probate segal.JPG
            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 20-11-20, 12:37.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

• Originally posted by mmarksx19 View Post

As an update - I have uploaded my DNA to Ancestry, myheritage, gedmatch, familytreeDNA and livingDNA.
              So, three types of DNA used in genealogy -
              autosomal DNA or atDNA. This is tested by AncestryDNA and MyHeritage; it is the familytreeDNA test called "FamilyFinder"; it is also tested at 23andme and LivingDNA; it is what you upload to gedmatch. It is excellent for finding cousins across mixed-gender lines, usually best within 5 generations, tho there are matches made with that are more distant than that.

Y-DNA - tests only the DNA that is part of a man's Y chromosome. Y chrom is passed from father to son usually without change. While LivingDNA and 23andme will give you the broad haplogroup, it requires detailed testing such as done at ftDNA and ?yseq? to make significant matching to other Y-DNA kits. Y-DNA testing might give you the surname common to your group.

Wheaton's beginner's guide probably provides better info!
              https://sites.google.com/site/wheato...the-y-part-one

Finally, and not part of what you are seeking, is
              Mitochondrial DNA or mtDNA. Passed from mothers totheir children (male or female). mtDNA changes so slowly that it is generally not very useful for genetic genealogy.

Comment

• You might consider joining one of ftDNA's "projects". The project administrators are volunteers with interests in their particular area. They can be quite helpful in providing guidance about what to test and what the results mean. There are several projects that are listed when you search for "Jewish", this one seems the most broad. You could contact the admin directly thru the email provided.
                With our premier suite of DNA tests and the world’s most comprehensive matching database...your DNA has met its match!

Comment

When I put these details in, it tells me there are no records?

Comment

• Mark, make sure you have the correct tab selected at the top of the search. It catches everyone out as it is defaulted to dates after 1996.
                    Anne

Comment

• You need to choose 1858-1996 tab and enter segal and 1982 . Sarah is top of 2nd column.

Last edited by Katarzyna; 23-11-20, 07:57.
                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                        Mark, make sure you have the correct tab selected at the top of the search. It catches everyone out as it is defaulted to dates after 1996.
                        Anne
                        Aha! Caught out! Now selected and will ordered.

Comment

• I was hoping that a few more may have had wills, but can't see any.

How far have you got with Amelia's tree, I don't think it is likely that is will help you with Simeon, but I would do each of the siblings from on line records, you never know, and he did live with them all, maybe an odd record that says something. Maybe a will as so cheap, if any did them. If you look at some of the posts on here some wills have loads to read, others have pretty much nothing!
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

I was hoping that a few more may have had wills, but can't see any.

How far have you got with Amelia's tree, I don't think it is likely that is will help you with Simeon, but I would do each of the siblings from on line records, you never know, and he did live with them all, maybe an odd record that says something. Maybe a will as so cheap, if any did them. If you look at some of the posts on here some wills have loads to read, others have pretty much nothing!
                            Amelias tree is quite comprehensive - I think my MyHeritage tree is public. Awaiting the Wills and the naturalization papers (although they may be for a different Simon/Simeon Marks).

I contacted the cemetery for photos of the gravestones (Simon and Amelia) but they weren't willing to help. Once lockdown is eased I will drive over to Manchester and take the pictures myself.

Comment

• Quick update - I have been informed that Sarah Marks (Simeons daughter whom he lived with at the time of his death) will is on its way to me as are the naturalizations papers for Simon (though still not sure it is the same Simon/Simeon Marks).
                              I contacted the cemetery where Simon and Amelia are buried but they said they didn't have any other information and wouldn't take photos of the gravestones for me.

Once I am allowed to travel (after all the lockdown shenanigans) I will go over to the Failsworth cemetery and look at the 2 gravestones. They may well (either in English or Hebrew) contain further information for me.

Comment

• Let's hope the will is a good one, I assume you don't have any for Amelias family? childless siblings might be interesting if there are any.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

• Originally posted by mmarksx19 View Post
                                  I contacted the cemetery where Simon and Amelia are buried but they said they didn't have any other information and wouldn't take photos of the gravestones for me..
                                  I don't know how things work in the UK, but -
                                  * If you create a memorial page for Simon and Amelia on FindAGrave, and then request a photo for each - a volunteer might go take a photo for you.

* You need to know, or a volunteer would need to know, the location of the gravestones within the cemetery. Office should know this, I hope?

* The links to the Jewish interest group in Leeds might know a volunteer who would go snap a photo for you.

Be aware, altho I think the resistance is diminishing, but many cemeteries do not want their gravestones put online, and don't want to give out info.

Comment

• I have now received some papers so have a bit of an update.

I got the will of Sarah Marks (Simons daughter). No further information there - she left everything to her nephew (my dad) as she had no children and he was an only child.
                                    As suggested above, I raised a photo request for Amelia's and Simons graves and within 24 hours somebody had fulfilled the request!
                                    I have attached the photos to this reply.
                                    Amelias gravestone is hard to read but I don't think tells me any more than I knew already.
                                    Simons gravestone has a few interesting facts.
                                    Firstly, it states he will mourned by his brothers - I don't have any reference to his brothers - maybe they were also called Marks, maybe they were also in the UK - I don't know but I will dig further if I can.
                                    Secondly, the Hebrew portion states his name as Shimon Yisrael (which I assume is Simon Israel). I am not sure how the Hebrew names work - I THINK that is his first and middle name rather than surname but am not sure.
                                    It also states his father in Hebrew as Moses Michael which again I THINK is his fathers first and middle name. Still not sure where the surname Marks comes from.
                                    I am still waiting for the naturalization papers I ordered - I so hope they are for the right person! Right now, I am guessing that Simeon was incorrect on one of the census records as he is Simon in all other documents.

If this information prompts any further suggestions - I would greatly appreciate them!
                                    Attached Files

Comment

• What a great response to your request, Michael. Something to treasure.
                                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

• Awesome!!!

So, the friend that I worked with had a facebook group that would translate the Hebrew - would you like me to ask her for details?

Comment

• UK researchers - would the DC have any information about his citizenship at the time of his death?

Comment

Working...
                                          X