Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do I start researching my Great Grandfather

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #81
    perhaps his death (different place)
    Mendel Derambus
    abt 1857
    1912
    Jan-Feb-Mar
    55

    Not a lot of records to be seen in between - transcriptions must be mangled.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    My Families
    London-area Coverly Family Finder DNA Project

    Comment


      #82
      Which would be consistent with this 1911 record
      Mandle Derambus
      52
      abt 1859
      Head
      Male
      Poland
      Liverpool
      Strange - he says he's married, but there are no other household members.

      And he teaches Hebrew - the only connection to Simon may have been thru the synagogue

      Oh, wait - "separated" has been crossed out and in a different hand is written "married"
      ------------------------------------------------------
      My Families
      London-area Coverly Family Finder DNA Project

      Comment


        #83
        This looks like him as well

        https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X95D-ZN3

        Hope the link works ha ha!
        Jacky

        Comment


          #84
          Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
          This looks like him as well

          https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X95D-ZN3

          Hope the link works ha ha!
          does the fact that he is the synagogue caretaker might mean he is often a witness?
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

          Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

          Comment


            #85
            Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

            does the fact that he is the synagogue caretaker might mean he is often a witness?
            I think that's a strong possibility. Shame we can't see the synagogue's registry to see who are witnesses at other weddings.

            Link worked fine. Interesting that he was from Poland, but a Russian subject. That was my experience with my friend's peeps - borders changed, so each census could have birth place variations on the theme. I've seen similar boundary/country changes with my own g'grandfather - Ireland and then Free Ireland
            ------------------------------------------------------
            My Families
            London-area Coverly Family Finder DNA Project

            Comment


              #86
              A quick summary of what is known about Simeon (I think?) will check newspapers for the addresses

              1891
              12 Lydia Street, Leeds Lodging age 20 (b1871) lodging with the Labovitch family (all born in Russia and tailors) and Louis Kolmenson is also lodging

              1896
              43 Cannon Street, Leeds age 25 (b1871) marriage

              1901
              8 Sheepscar Place, Leeds age 31 (b1870) with Nathan family

              1911
              5 Glover Street, Leeds age 43 (b1868) with Nathan family

              1929
              5 Glover Street, Leeds (elec roll) with son

              1939
              117 Ordsall Lane, Salford age 77 (b1862), living with daughter

              1943 & 1947
              (deaths) 210 Brunswick Road, Chorlton on Medlock age 78 (b1869)

              No reg of electors available for Brunswick Street on line see post 12

              Naturalisation records after 1916 are not on Ancestry see posts number post 19-21

              Only town mentioned for PoB is Manupole, Russia

              Father is Moses Marks on marriage cert
              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 24-10-20, 19:22.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

              Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

              Comment


                #87
                could fully research the Nathan family, there are a number of them, maybe some other paths crossing, but think that maybe unlikely.

                would still go for the Will, might mention someone, possibly unlikely

                It is looking like he came across on his own, I can't find any records of crossings? anyone else tried and failed?
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

                Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                Comment


                  #88
                  cbcarolyn Thank you for the summary!

                  OP, another proven technique is to see if other lines know anything. You could try contacting anyone descended from Amelia's nieces or nephews.
                  ------------------------------------------------------
                  My Families
                  London-area Coverly Family Finder DNA Project

                  Comment


                    #89
                    Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                    A quick summary of what is known about Simeon (I think?) will check newspapers for the addresses

                    1891
                    12 Lydia Street, Leeds Lodging age 20 (b1871) lodging with the Labovitch family (all born in Russia and tailors) and Louis Kolmenson is also lodging

                    1896
                    43 Cannon Street, Leeds age 25 (b1871) marriage

                    1901
                    8 Sheepscar Place, Leeds age 31 (b1870) with Nathan family

                    1911
                    5 Glover Street, Leeds age 43 (b1868) with Nathan family

                    1929
                    5 Glover Street, Leeds (elec roll) with son

                    1939
                    117 Ordsall Lane, Salford age 77 (b1862), living with daughter

                    1943 & 1947
                    (deaths) 210 Brunswick Road, Chorlton on Medlock age 78 (b1869)

                    No reg of electors available for Brunswick Street on line see post 12

                    Naturalisation records after 1916 are not on Ancestry see posts number post 19-21

                    Only town mentioned for PoB is Manupole, Russia

                    Father is Moses Marks on marriage cert
                    Thanks Carolyn. Is there any chance your timeline can be put under Michael's 1st post, then we can access it without scrolling through the thread?
                    Jacky

                    Comment


                      #90
                      have added to original post
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

                      Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                      Comment


                        #91
                        Now that I have summarised it, penny hadn't dropped that the reg of elector is same address as 1911 census, and I can see Henry on the roll in prior years, so maybe that is indicating when he got his naturalisation.

                        The women wouldn't be on there until 1929 anyway.

                        the indexing seems to start in 1920 with Nathaniel Nathan and in 1924 he and Henry are there, then just Henry.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

                        Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                        Comment


                          #92
                          Just a thought re poland, it was a country in it's own right until 1772, until the "partitions of poland". when russia, (catherine the great) prussia (frederick the great) and austria (empress maria theresa) decided under a secret treaty, to invade and annex parts of poland. Prussia and russia did it again in 1793, and then 1795 the three powers carved up what was left of poland. It was wiped off the map until 1918, when the allied powers reconstituted the country, along with new territories from the previous empires.
                          ​​​​https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partitions_of_Poland

                          the history leading up to the partitions is rather complicated, but quite interesting.

                          so if you family comes from "poland" or "russia", it's likely eastern poland and surrounding territories. Might help in finding records or history groups to help.

                          Comment


                            #93
                            deleted by me - info re naturalisation was for Marks Simons not Simon Marks in 1919 Manchester
                            Last edited by Katarzyna; 25-10-20, 10:28.
                            Kat
                            https://www.pinterest.co.uk/katarzyna1234/my-own-cards/

                            Comment


                              #94
                              So many newspaper reports refer to Marks half of Marks and Spencer....
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

                              Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                              Comment


                                #95
                                Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                So many newspaper reports refer to Marks half of Marks and Spencer....
                                M&S are getting my way of research as well.....but who knows what we dig up!
                                Jacky

                                Comment


                                  #96
                                  The M&S names do make it harder.
                                  I saw a suggestion to use the Jewish Chronicle archives which I paid for and found loads of hits for Simon Marks - only to find he was the son of the founder of M&S (became a Sir) and not the same Simon Marks I am looking for! There were thousands of hits but I didn't find any for the Simon Marks I am searching for.

                                  If only they were the same person..........

                                  Comment


                                    #97
                                    Originally posted by mmarksx19 View Post
                                    The M&S names do make it harder.
                                    I saw a suggestion to use the Jewish Chronicle archives which I paid for and found loads of hits for Simon Marks - only to find he was the son of the founder of M&S (became a Sir) and not the same Simon Marks I am looking for! There were thousands of hits but I didn't find any for the Simon Marks I am searching for.

                                    If only they were the same person..........
                                    if only - that would have been exciting!
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

                                    Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                                    Comment


                                      #98
                                      Michael Marks (M&S) was born in Russia, come to Leeds 1882, and died in Manchester. I have been looking for his family tree to see how it branches out but here is his Wikipedia.....

                                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Marks

                                      I wonder if Simon is a distant relation?.
                                      Jacky

                                      Comment


                                        #99
                                        Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                                        Michael Marks (M&S) was born in Russia, come to Leeds 1882, and died in Manchester. I have been looking for his family tree to see how it branches out but here is his Wikipedia.....

                                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Marks

                                        I wonder if Simon is a distant relation?.
                                        It is possible but I don't think so.

                                        Marks wouldn't have been his or our original name so there would have been a lot of immigrants from Poland/Russia etc that had names Anglicized to Marks. Of course I would love to be wrong!

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by mmarksx19 View Post

                                          It is possible but I don't think so.

                                          Marks wouldn't have been his or our original name so there would have been a lot of immigrants from Poland/Russia etc that had names Anglicized to Marks. Of course I would love to be wrong!
                                          What evidence is there of that Michael?
                                          Kat
                                          https://www.pinterest.co.uk/katarzyna1234/my-own-cards/

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X