decipher this please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decipher this please

I have asked for clarification of this certificate but hoping forum members can assist
    It is the 11-nov 1911 re Gerald record i am after

Brian
    Attached Files
    avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
    researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Good grief, that’s hard to read. I can see some of it. Presumably a death certificate?

1st column
    32 ?Young? Street
    City of T??roy
    County of ?Bourter?
    born same

2nd column
    Gerald
    Not Present

3rd column
    Male

4th column (presumably the father)
    Gerald Solomon ??oates
    age 47
    born Cornwall, New Zealand

5th column is blank

6th column (presumably the mother)
    Catherine ?Miller?
    maiden name Callaghan
    age supposed about 40 years
    born Adelaide, Australia

Comment

How about

11 N0vember 1919
      32 Young St
      City of Fitzroy
      County of Bourke
      ???
      Same

Next

Gerald
      Not Present

Next

Gerald Coleman?
      Shearer
      47 years
      Cornwall
      New Zealand

Next

Catherine Miller
      Mdn N Callaghan

Supposed about
      40 Years
      Adelaide
      South Australia

Comment

Agree to most of what Phil noted, the only query was that I thought the age listed in the last column could have been 46 rather than 40.
        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Phil
          Very good translation i will wait to see what BDM has to say (could be 2 weeks)
          The fathers last name and that occupation is of major interest as this is the first mention of this child and it will tie up about 3 families when i solve it.

Grumpy
          I have a birth date for Catherine (although I cant find a registration) of 1879 so this seems to line up with her age as 40

Thanking you both
          Brian
          researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

An illegitimate birth? Mother appears to be married. Or widowed.

Who was the informant?

i read father's occupation as dealer? But that first letter is difficult. Is the surname solemen? The "s" in south australia is the same as the first letter of the surname.

Comment

Agreed, Solemen or Soliman, definately an S to start.
              Phil

Comment

My apologies in my haste i didn't realise there was a second part to this document until Kylejustin asked for the informant.
                I have attached both, and Solomon is correct and a most of Phil's decoding is good.
                The second page isn't as hard but i would appreciate more help
                Attached Files
                Last edited by 2weis; 15-10-20, 06:36. Reason: extra information

Comment

The mother in this tale was married to male 1 in 1902
                  Began defacto (while using married name ) between 1905-1909 with male 2 he died in 1918
                  This male appears in 1918
                  It will solve about 3 mysterys when i complete it
                  Brian

Comment

Seems like the age of 47 on the document for Gerald Solomon is wrong. Here’s his birth along with what appears to be a twin sister. 1919 he ought to have been 44 and the birth was in Cromwell rather than Cornwall as Phil and I thought.

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Mother's Given Name(s) Father's Given
                    Name(s) Still Birth
                    1875/10673 Solomon Gerald Kate Mary Judah -
                    1875/10674 Solomon Miriam Kate Mary Judah -

Comment

If I’ve got you correctly, then the person whose 1919 death is a child of Gerald Solomon and Catherine Miller / Millar who were not married? Gerald’s first wife being Martha (aka Minnie) Wilson who did not die till 1958 according to ancestry trees.

Catherine Callaghan - again according to ancestry trees marries John George Miller jnr. in 1902 but by 1909 is having children with John Albert Bryan and purporting to be his wife as mentioned in his army record. By the time Mr. Bryan dies in 1918, Catherine is now with Gerald Solomon and presumably again purporting to be a wife as Gerald Solomon (on Catherine’s behalf) claims his estate but the claim is chucked out in favour Mr Bryan’s actual wife Daisy Morris.

An even odder thing is, that when Gerald Solomon marries Martha “Minnie” Morris in 1914, the marriage takes place at the residence of Mr. George Mellar, Adelaide. Is that actually the residence of John George Millar snr., the father of of Catherine’s first husband?? Given that John George Millar / Miller jnr. is alive till 1933, there is indeed a complicated mystery to solve. This again is from an ancestry tree which seems to be well sourced.
                      Last edited by GallowayLass; 16-10-20, 12:04.

Comment

There’s a handful of trees show a reference to Gerald Solomon travelling from Victoria to Adelaide but none have posted the image and I’m darned if I can get to it. The South Australia government website is a real pain to use. I am not fond of their BMD search either.

Name G Mr Solomon
                        Age 38
                        Birth Year 1877
                        Departure Date 12/1915 (Dec 1915)
                        Departure Place Victoria Australia
                        DESTINATION ADELAIDE AND WA PORTS
                        Ship ZEALANDIA I
                        Ship's Master SHERRIFF G
                        Page 3
                        Household Members (blank)
                        Last edited by GallowayLass; 16-10-20, 10:11. Reason: Correct a forename

Comment

Have you got the birth certificate for the person who died in 1919 or was it actually a birth certificate in your op?

Comment

It's a birth cert.

Comment

GallowayLass
                              well spotted re G Solomon assisting in claim on J A Bryan pension,I had seen the name but until a couple of days ago wasn't aware of a relationship between them.
                              Who's tree are you using as a source as i would be interested in looking at it (PM me if you like)
                              I will try to get a copy of those birth certificates
                              Have you been mistyping as i am looking at Gerald not George
                              If you come across any other information i will be grateful
                              I wll add Gerald to Catherine's conquests ??? and see what else surfaces
                              Brian

Comment

Oops sorry, typed wrong man’s name. Should have put Gerald.

Comment

Originally posted by 2weis View Post
                                  GallowayLass
                                  well spotted re G Solomon assisting in claim on J A Bryan pension,I had seen the name but until a couple of days ago wasn't aware of a relationship between them.
                                  Who's tree are you using as a source as i would be interested in looking at it (PM me if you like)
                                  I will try to get a copy of those birth certificates
                                  Have you been mistyping as i am looking at Gerald not George
                                  If you come across any other information i will be grateful
                                  I wll add Gerald to Catherine's conquests ??? and see what else surfaces
                                  Brian
                                  My sub ran out last night. Haven’t paid up again yet so can’t check on tree owners. There’s plenty of them. Two belonging to the same person but for different families have “wife” for him as Catherine Callaghan and a child marked private as well as wife Martha. The rest are Martha only. You will find them easy enough. There are trees for Catherine too.
                                  Search terms for Gerald’s trees Gerald Solomon exact, birth year 1875 exact and birthplace New Zealand exact. Search terms for Catherine’s trees Catherine Callaghan exact, birth year 1872 +\-2 years and birthplace South Australia exact.

Comment

Working...
                                  X