Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with estate value

Hi

I have a bit of a query on the estate value of someone, and I cant figure out if this sounds like a reasonable sum or not. George Jennings died in 1883 and his estate was valued at £141 which is the equivalent of around £12k today. My issue, is that George was a carman for most of his adult life from what I can tell, so where has all this estate come from? Also, in 1881 there is someone listed with him as a servant. Again, I cant see where that would come from unless she is just a visitor or something.

I have attached both the probate record and the 1881 census, does this look about right?

Many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

I have similar problem with my Grace Hendy Lugg, she was a cook at one time, and I have the will of the householders and can't see her mentioned in there, but feel her money must have come from someones death! she never owned a property, or even lived in one, always someone else.

did he work for someone as a carman? maybe a bequeath as a good employee, did he have a family?

Looks like the right record, no expert on administration, I don't think it will tell you much more if you spend £1.50, the next of kin presumably will be named.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Yep its super frustrating. There is no other George Jennings from Fulham born during the same time period that is still alive. There was one who was born into a wealthy family, so other researchers have allocated that family to him, however that George Jennings died in 1822 and I have a will that shows that is definitely the child from that family.

This George seems to have the following occupations:
      1841 - Bone collector
      1844 - Costermonger
      1851 - General dealer
      1861 - cattle dealer
      1871 - carman
      1881 - carman - living at the address as listed in the administration

I am trying to find out who the parents are of this George, because the only baptism is of the "rich" George
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Perhaps he had benefitted from an inheritance himself?
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

His may have always worked for himself, lived frugally and his estate could have included the value of his horse and cart..
          Live-in domestic help was very cheap - his "servant" may well have been an elderly neighbour or friend who moved in and cooked and cleaned for bed and board.
          At that time there were no state pensions or benefits and a lot of people tried to ensure that they had "a bit put by" for their old age. If we're comparing with today, then if you have NO source of income and no-one to provide for you, £12K won't last all that long once you've paid your rent, and for heating, a modicum of lighting, food and other necessary expenses.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
          X