newspaper records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newspaper records

I am finding more and more newspaper articles require a subscription to access
    Newspapers by Ancestry has access everything for USD 59.50 for 6 month
    Newspaper Archive is USD 74.95 for 6 months
    Trove NLA is free but is has some limits as to what is available
    I don't object to paying but if i can access for free so much better
    Is there other sites that i can access newspaper clippings ,weddings articles etc that any can recommend, i am mainly interested in Australian records.
    Brian
    avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
    researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Trove is the only australian newspaper site i'm aware of. Ancestry likely gets it's newspapers from them.

FMP has english newspapers, sometimes useful.

never had a use for american papers, so not looked into them.

Comment

kylejustin
      Thanks for the reply
      Brian
      avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
      researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

There are many sites for US papers, the big ones charge for their services. I have found some local libraries and/or communities or even states that have made their newspapers online.

Many US papers are not online. Local libraries, historical societies and genealogy societies often offer look up services for their papers. Unfortunately, there are gaps in records. I know. For instance, I have a relative who died in 1920. The newspaper that reported his death is free and online (he was electrocuted while making repairs after a tornado). But the library didn't have copies of the newspaper for the days that followed - and I missed out on his obit. It might have confirmed a suspected relationship.

And - I have a local library that offers access to one of the big newspaper websites. It's shut down during the pandemic.

If your local Family History Centre is open and nearby, they may offer free access if you can go in person.

Comment

Working...
        X