George William Smith - did he remarry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George William Smith - did he remarry

I have just come across the probate for George William Smith died 1934 address 52 Milton Street Swanscombe Kent. He is definitely mine. BUT it says probate to Eliza Ann widow BUT his wife my great grandmother died 1917 and she was Mary Ann Johnson so now i am curious if he remarried after Mary Ann died. I cant see the marriage but maybe somebody else can. And of course it happened that Mary Ann died after the 1911 census and he died before the 1939 census so hope I dont have to wait for the 1921 census release to find who Eliza Ann is
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 11-10-20, 09:01. Reason: better title for followers

I just found Eliza Ann Smith on 1939 register and the name Smith is crossed out and PULLEN written over it so looks like she remarried after George William Smith died. So i still dont know her maiden name and between 1917 and when George died 1934 they could have had children but she is on her own 1939

Comment

I cant find a marriage for Eliza Ann Smith and Pullen either but maybe thats registered under her maiden name and not her widow name

Comment

So perhaps this is her second marriage:
        Marriages Dec 1939
        Pullen Frederick Smith Dartford 2a 3542
        Smith Eliza A Pullen Dartford 2a 3542
        I'm pulling from FreeBMD - would GRO have her maiden name indexed?

Comment

Thank you for that. I couldnt find it. I always look on there first. I might be able to find it in the parish registers but according to her birth 1869 she would be in her 70's when she remarried so maybe a registry office wedding

Comment

Not found anything in the parish records for either marriages. I am now going to take a look at baptisms to see if there were any for George William Smith and Eliza Ann,

Comment

Could this be it?
              1928 West Ham, Essex
              SMITH George W
              JOHNSON Eliza A

Comment

Its possible, Not found anything nearer to home strange though as his first wife was mary ann johnson. Both common names I know...

Comment

going by the birth date on 1939 there doesnt appear to be any eliza ann johnson born around those areas

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                    So perhaps this is her second marriage:
                    Marriages Dec 1939
                    Pullen Frederick Smith Dartford 2a 3542
                    Smith Eliza A Pullen Dartford 2a 3542
                    I'm pulling from FreeBMD - would GRO have her maiden name indexed?
                    I tried to look on GRO but it just takes me to the order page so not seeing any maiden name

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
                      Its possible, Not found anything nearer to home strange though as his first wife was mary ann johnson. Both common names I know...
                      Thing is though unless you see the actual SMITH / JOHNSON marriage certificate, you won’t know if Eliza Ann was a widow or a spinster. There coukd be an earlier marriage to find for Eliza.

Comment

going by the birth date on 1939 there doesnt appear to be any eliza ann johnson born around those areas
                        What was the date of birth?

UPDATE Please ignore the question. I was looking for the standard format Eliza A but she has been entered as Eliza Ann in full.

Comment

If her maiden name was JOHNSON, these two are the most likely due to being nearest geographically speaking. The rest in 1 and 2Q were Lancashire and Yorkshire.
                          JOHNSON, ELIZA ANN CARTER
                          GRO Reference: 1869 M Quarter in NORWICH Volume 04B Page 124
                          JOHNSON, ELIZA ANN LEPPITT
                          GRO Reference: 1869 J Quarter in KENSINGTON Volume 01A Page 124

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                            If her maiden name was JOHNSON, these two are the most likely due to being nearest geographically speaking. The rest in 1 and 2Q were Lancashire and Yorkshire.
                            JOHNSON, ELIZA ANN CARTER
                            GRO Reference: 1869 M Quarter in NORWICH Volume 04B Page 124
                            JOHNSON, ELIZA ANN LEPPITT
                            GRO Reference: 1869 J Quarter in KENSINGTON Volume 01A Page 124
                            do you mean for her birth?

Comment

I am confused about something..lol Somebody just sent me this message but not sure what they mean

'not sure if you have seen the register entry. If you could order a copy from GRO it cost £1.50 and may shed some light'

I havent seen anything of £1.50 only a pdf for £11 or the certificate for £14

Comment

Wills are £1.50. Are they referring to that? It might have more info in the actual will that could help you.
                                Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

wills are from probate office

I am sure he would mention children if it is a will
                                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 11-10-20, 12:46.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

do you mean for her birth?
                                    Yes. If she was a late marrying spinster when she married George.

Comment

I have ordered the will and while I was there I have ordered my grandfathers to see if he had confessed any of the secrets I have since found.
                                      First time I have used that service.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

Yes. If she was a late marrying spinster when she married George.
                                        Oh yes I see what you mean now.

Comment

Working...
                                        X