Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 register

Hi

I am trying to find out the history on my house, but typically it appears that the original deeds have been destroyed. The house next to mine (attached) has theirs and it dates from around 1903, so I know that it should appear on both the 1911 and 1939 register however it appears that these houses had names rather than numbers. I would like to give my house back its name, so I was wondering if the 1939 register goes in order up the street? Many of the houses here still have the same names, so I'm hoping by a process of elimination to try and establish the house name.

I'm going to head down the street later to make a note of the names, but will probably look a bit odd!
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Does your local authority have on-line evaluation rolls or electoral lists - could this help in your search?
    I have direct line who lived in a tiny village with houses dotted about with not even really any streets so I understand how difficult it is to pinpoint an exact house in a location.
    Good luck - your idea of noting house name seems a good idea. oh, another thought - are there any large scale historical maps that may have your house listed?
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thank you for those suggestions. West Sussex doesn't seem to have electoral rolls on Ancestry, so I might have to look at local resources
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Have you tried the Lloyd-George Domesday Survey from 1910?

aka the 1910 Finance Act

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...10+Finance+Act
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Lensgirl View Post
          Thank you for those suggestions. West Sussex doesn't seem to have electoral rolls on Ancestry, so I might have to look at local resources
          Findmypast has Sussex electoral registers:

England & Wales, Electoral Registers 1920-1932
          England & Wales, Electoral Registers 1832-1932
          England & Wales, Electoral Registers 1832-1932 Image Browse

Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

oh! thank you so much, I will definitely look at those
            Robyne

Comment

I have been looking at a few places in recently in Ampthill, each census and 1939 register are different. The census (when I did it), the enumerator was given a map, and it was up to you which order you went in, so assume this has always been the case. Wonder if the names of houses even tied in with residents and you can see a link?

Do you not have anything else to work from? pub/shop/post office?

Have you looked at the summary records for the 1911 census - much easier, and can't remember if there are notes at the beginning like the others of the route taken
              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 09-10-20, 12:50.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
              X