More Irish death records now online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Irish death records now online

Unexpected but welcome - from Claire Santry’s blog at irishgenealogynews.com today.
    Happy hunting! I’ve just confirmed that a poss death cert I’d been waiting for was indeed one of my 3G grandads.

Christine

Irish civil death registers, 1871-1877, uploaded

Well, this is exciting! Unannounced, more death register images have been uploaded to IrishGenealogy.ie's free civil registration collection.

Pre- this upload, the images for deaths from 1864 to 1877 were not online. While the entire batch of missing images are not, right now, online, those for 1871 to 1877 are, and appear to be complete.

Images for 1864 to 1870 inclusive are still on the 'missing' list.

In total, this upload gives us an additional 671,599 death register images to play with.

In the meantime, enjoy.

UPDATE, 3:10pm: The official statement from the Department for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht has been released. It confirms that some 15.5 million register records (index plus images) are now available on the site, as follows:
    • Birth register records – 1864 to 1919
    • Marriage register records – 1845 to 1944
    • Death register records – 1871 to 1969

Unfortunately, there is no official time frame given for the upload of the final instalment of the 'missing' death register images.
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Will have to dig up the references I saved years ago from GRONI when trying to find a death for Annie Porter born c.1848 and last known to have been alive in May 1885 when she was informant of death for a daughter. Will cross reference with any I find on above site. Every one of the GRONI certs I viewed was not her. She’s not a brick wall, more of a granite crag LOL

Comment

I need the 1860's! Have a few to see if any relevance. Probs none are correct haha

Comment

Well, that was two names searched for in Donegal. Still need to do some in Antrim, and some more in Donegal. Happy days.

I will say - the registrations I was just looking at did not give husband's name for married/widowed women, nor relationship for the informants.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

I will say - the registrations I was just looking at did not give husband's name for married/widowed women, nor relationship for the informants.
          Yes, that was very noticeable with all the ones I found yesterday in the 1871-1877 timeframe, regardless of place - like you, Donegal and Antrim, plus Fermanagh - so it doesn’t seem to be just the odd local registrar not recording these details.
          The nearest I saw to relationship for informant was occupier, even when I knew the informant was father, husband, daughter etc. Very frustrating though if the informant is an unfamiliar name.

Christine
          Researching:
          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Working...
          X