Can anyone please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just on a quick look through the records-

Benjamin Wheeler married Selina/Serena Humphries in Sep 1844. They had William 1846, Ann 1848, Charles 1851, Edward 1853 and Thomas 1855. In 1851 census they are listed as Wooler living in Seend. Sometime in the late 1850's they separated and Selina left, taking with her Ann and Thomas. William, Charles and Edward are with their Wheeler grandmother in 1862, Benjamin is a lodger with another family. In 1867 Benjamin remarries, as a widower, to Merab Watts. They subsequently move to London. By 1861 Selina is with Robert in Swansea with Ann and Thomas and her new children from this relationship. Selina dies in 1892 so Benjamins 2nd marriage was a bit naughty!

Also this is an intriguing little snippet from the papers for 1856. Could this be the same Robert Williams?

Wheeler1.png
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

They’ve been together since 1861.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Comment

Great finds Oz girl.

Vera

Comment

ozgirl You are on to something. This is Wikipedia description of Seend,
          “Seend is a village and civil parish about 3 miles southeast of the market town of Melksham, Wiltshire, England. It lies about 3.5 miles west of Devizes and 5.5 miles northeast of the county town of Trowbridge”
          Melksham is where another Selina came from - mother of Lavinia the 14 year old 1871 marriage witness. Devizes is where Ann says in some censuses that she comes from.

Comment

In the 1861 linked to above Thomas Williams (Wheeler) has his pob transcribed as Leen, Wiltshire, but I'm pretty sure it is Seend.
            Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

The list of things that Robert is accused of stealing sound rather like things that may really have belonged to Selina.
              I think this is him in the area in 1851. Age is a bit out but he's the only Robert Williams born in Cheddar of roughly the correct age. There is another older man born c.1801 who is still in Cheddar with a wife Mary.
              https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource
              Last edited by GallowayLass; 06-10-20, 20:00. Reason: add a bit

Comment

Thank you everyone who has replied and taken the time to provide so much information. I shall be following it up in the next few days.

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                  Ah, this might be something. Ann Maria Wheeler, b 1848 in Westbury, Wiltshire, mmn Selina Humphries. In 1871 Selina is now living as a wife with Robert Williams in Swansea, and with her is her daughter Ann, now called Williams. The children born in Swansea also seem to have a mmn Humphries/Humphreys. I haven't yet found a marriage for Robert and Selina, but this could explain why Ann used both Williams and Wheeler.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...1&pId=27081388
                  After a lot of research this is the nearest I have been to solving this mystery. I 'll be looking at this suggestion in more detail. Thank you so much.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                    Here’s Ann in 1881 14 Slone Street. Don’t know why but John H. is not included on the transcript but he is in the image.
                    Anne Morse Head Married Female 30 1851 Mariners Wife Westbury, Wiltshire, England
                    Fanny M Morse Daughter Single Female 6 1875 Scholar Swansea, Glamorganshire, Wales
                    William Morse Son Single Male 4 1877 Scholar Swansea, Glamorganshire, Wales
                    Slone [Sloane] Street is no longer there but it was next to the docks. The adjacent addresses in the census Dunvant Place, Paxton Terrace and Bathurst Street were demolished to make way for a Civic Centre. There are new streets with some of those names reused around the Civic Centre area.
                    1891 and 1901 the family are in Rodney Street which is close to both the old Sloane Street and Clarence Street. Here’s an old map of the dock streets area.

A3A553EA-26BD-42F8-8B56-B55847B52BCB.jpeg
                    In your various posts you have given me some links. Unfortunately being a new member the forum rules do not allow me to open these links. Would you please be able to send them to me at email removed.

Many thanks.
                    Please PM Brian for the email address, although a few more posts on the forum and the links will be visible.

Comment

Can’t pm as op has chosen not to receive pms. Will check again later to see if the settings have been opened.

Comment

I think you will have more access after 10 posts.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                          I think you will have more access after 10 posts.
                          Brian and I had been in touch via the site email account. Hopefully he will soon clock up the 10 posts he needs to be able to see the images posted.

Although if he doesn't have an ancestry account himself, the links won't help with viewing the actual images.
                          Caroline
                          Caroline's Family History Pages
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I've overridden the PM issue so (hopefully) Brian should be able to receive PMs now.
                            Caroline
                            Caroline's Family History Pages
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                            X