The Mason's Arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mason's Arms

Could anyone help me searching for this pub, please?

I have a newspaper clipping about an assault in a pub called the Mason Arms. The young man concerned (Joseph Shearsby) was living in Leamington at the time and I am writing up the story so I wanted to find out exactly where the pub was relative to where he lived.

I have tried looking for the landlady Sarah Lambert in the 1851 census but didn't find anything helpful - too many Sarah Lamberts in Warwickshire.

I did some Googling and found three Masons Arms pubs in the general area but they are all some distance from Leamington.

I'd really like it to be this one in Wilmcote because I love this image of a Charlie Chaplin look-alike with his wheelbarrow. https://www.ourwarwickshire.org.uk/c...te-masons-arms

There is also one here https://www.masons-arms-pub.co.uk/ at Long Marston near Stratford

And this one http://www.pebworth.org/masons-arms.html at Pebworth but this is even further away.

This is the newspaper clip from the 1852 Leamington Spa Courier

Any thoughts how I can narrow down which pub it was?
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Just having a look but had you notice that the Mason's Arms at Long Marston was a private house until 1861 so that can be ruled out.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I've been trying to look at the directories that Leicester university did but can't find my way round it anymore. Perhaps someone else can help there. The one I found was 1850.
      Lin

Comment

I would search the trade directories. just put in leamington spa, date 1850 and "masons arms" in keyword and click exact in ancestry.

found this - long time after, but is masons arms in leamington! Under Holder
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

the ancestry directories are the same as the Leicester uni ones, search is different, so could be worth trying both.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Seems to be one in Rugby Road, Leamington, not sure in 1850 though.

Last edited by cbcarolyn; 04-10-20, 19:16.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

Useful hints there, thank you. Off to wake up my laptop as I find searching much easier on there.
              Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

have tried a few options, but found nothing. I wonder if there are trade directories around but not digitised.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

I had a look on the BNA site and found a snippet from the year before, 1851, saying that the license of the Mason's Arms, Milverton was transferred from Robert Sidney to John Lambert. Milverton is part of Leamington Spa.
                  Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

From the Leamington Paper
                    Attached Files
                    Linda

Comment

Brilliant! Thank you so much, Ozgirl! Every time I ask for help on here I learn a little bit more about lateral thinking. That’s a great bit of evidence for my story and in fact Milverton fits elsewhere as my man's future d.i.l was born there.

Comment

I think the one I linked to is that one, well done Oz girl, couldn't find lambert mentioned in papers, good find.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                          I think the one I linked to is that one, well done Oz girl, couldn't find lambert mentioned in papers, good find.
                          Sorry, Carolyn, I didn't mean to overlook your post but life got in the way yesterday evening and I didn't get back to following up your links.

Off to study some maps now.....

Comment

I have just had a look at the 1851 census for Milverton and there is one couple called John and Sarah Lambert but he is a labourer.

Comment

Well done everyone. That was interesting.

Is the BNA the newspapers?
                              Lin

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                I have just had a look at the 1851 census for Milverton and there is one couple called John and Sarah Lambert but he is a labourer.
                                Maybe that was his day job and she ran the pub side of things?

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                  The address for them appears to be 33 Lillington Road, Milverton so I had a look on Google maps street view and found this labelled as 35 with new houses each side. I suppose this could have been a pub but it doesn't look old enough for 1851. I'm going to search the census a bit more and see if I can find the pub somewhere else.

Masons Arms Inn is in this list of Freehold pubs (number 70) so I would think they would be living in it if they owned it?

Comment

It just occurred to me that the census took place before the transfer of the license to the Lamberts but a search for Robert Sidney in the 1851 census drew a blank, too

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                                      Is the BNA the newspapers?

Yes, the British Newspaper Archives. You can also access them through FindMyPast if you have that.
                                      Linda

Comment

Masons Arms, Rugby Road, Milverton. Edit: there are 3 refs to Mason's Arms on this page.

http://www.leamingtonhistory.co.uk/w...2016-Final.pdf

On the map there are two pubs either side of Garden Place/ Rugby Road corner opposite the Schools.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side...=168&right=osm

As it has stables and a brew house it's more likely to be the one to the left near marking BM 210-8 possibly???
                                        Last edited by Katarzyna; 05-10-20, 13:20.
                                        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
                                        X