Did they marry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tessie there are two Charles Edwards.

A Sarah Butler m Charles Edward Lay in 1912. Reading Reg. This possibly is the one you have. That Charles Edward Lee's father was ? Henry. Charles Edward ? a Cowman on a farm

Charles Edward Lay b 1888 died 1927 Bradfield reg

Charles Edward Lee married in 1900 Annie King. On the 1939 she is recorded as married.

A Charles Edward Lee is on the 1939 with Sarah Lee. She is recorded as married a!though I noted there is an amendment to occupation from paid domestic work to unpaid.

Charles Edward Lee may have married bigamously but more likely to have lived together.

​​​​​​

Vera

Comment

I realise that the name isn't super unique, but posting these here just in case it maybe him.

Screenshot 2021-10-06 at 22.10.54.png
      could this be a child? you didn't give childrens names
      Screenshot 2021-10-06 at 22.13.02.png
      Screenshot 2021-10-06 at 22.12.21.png
      Screenshot 2021-10-06 at 22.11.45.png
      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 06-10-21, 22:24.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

his army record is on FMP (not sure about ancestry didn't check) he was demobbed April 1919, address quoted is Southcote Lane. His son Ralph Death cert is in the records also.

Does seem to be a lot of info in there, and has all the children, except the names have faded.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I've been a bit slow in understanding your first post (sorry!), but now I've looked at the 1939 register I think I'm finally with you, and I'm pretty sure they didn't marry.

If you check FreeBMD you'll see that Edward C Lee - the son on the 1939 register - has been indexed under two different surnames.

Lay, Edward C mmn Lay Henley 3a / 1808
          Lee, Edward C mmn Lay Henley 3a / 1808

This is because children were not given their own surname on a birth certificate until much later.

The GRO has a quirky way of indexing births where the parents aren't married to each other, in that they only index it under the father's surname and show a dash for the mmn, and in order for the father to be named at all he would have to be present for the registration.
          LEE, EDWARD COLIN [ - ] GRO Reference: 1934 S Quarter in HENLEY Volume 03A Page 1808

The other children seem to be indexed only once - under LAY mmn BUTLER and LEE mmn Butler - so I'd guess that on at least some of the certificates Charles wasn't present and Sarah wasn't consistent, but you'd need to see each of the certificates to be sure. Charles may not be the father of all of them as Charles Edward LAY didn't die until 1927 (buried 14 October), although I think the first LEE child was registered in 1926, Bradfield.

LAY, CHARLES EDWARD 39 GRO Reference: 1927 D Quarter in READING Volume 02C Page 395

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
            Tessie there are two Charles Edwards.

A Sarah Butler m Charles Edward Lay in 1912. Reading Reg. This possibly is the one you have. That Charles Edward Lee's father was ? Henry. Charles Edward ? a Cowman on a farm

Charles Edward Lay b 1888 died 1927 Bradfield reg

Charles Edward Lee married in 1900 Annie King. On the 1939 she is recorded as married.

A Charles Edward Lee is on the 1939 with Sarah Lee. She is recorded as married a!though I noted there is an amendment to occupation from paid domestic work to unpaid.

Charles Edward Lee may have married bigamously but more likely to have lived together.

​​​​​​

Vera
            Hi Vera, thanks for this. So I think 'my' Charles Edward Lee is the one with Sarah on the 1939 and although they say married aren't (or are but bigamously) - is this right?

Teasie has found some births registered under Lee AND Lay on the GRO so Sarah he is 'married' to on the 1939 IS Sarah Lay nee Butler (she must have married Charles Edward Lay 1st)?

Or have I completely mis-understood?

Carolyn - these look interesting - I'll have a read later

Thanks everyone

Comment

Hope Vera doesn't mind me answering,

1) Yes, its Charles Edward Lee on the 1939 with Sarah. They say they are married but in fact Sarah is a widow & Charles is married to someone else.
              2) Sarah Butler married Charles Edward LAY 6 Apr 1912. She did not marry Charles Edward LEE as he was still married to someone else, but she assumed his surname.

Comment

Phew, thank you for helping me sort this out did anyone find his death (I can't remember lol - I'll go through the thread)!?
                Tessie

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                  Hope Vera doesn't mind me answering,

1) Yes, its Charles Edward Lee on the 1939 with Sarah. They say they are married but in fact Sarah is a widow & Charles is married to someone else.
                  2) Sarah Butler married Charles Edward LAY 6 Apr 1912. She did not marry Charles Edward LEE as he was still married to someone else, but she assumed his surname.
                  Not at all Teasie. I was aware I had come onto the thread at a time when you had posed a question and just wanted to summarise for Tessie the evidence for the two Charles Edwards.

I agree that the birth indexing/registration of Edward C indicates Charles Edward and Sarah not married at that time.

Vera

Comment

Charles Edward Lee's burial 09/10 /1953 Henley Road Cemetery, Caversham, Berks
                    b 1879 aged 74
                    Residence 14 Helston Gdns (as on 1939)

Vera

Comment

Thanks Vera!

Comment

Working...
                      X