X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vera2013
    replied
    Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
    Vera, the Charles and Annie you have is my Charles! As there is a birth of a child in 1917 I now think the Charles I found on the 1939 with Sarah is not mine but the Charles who I found as single probably is
    Hello Tessie. Please give more info on the single Charles E Lee to help eliminate/ confirm he is your man. EDIT OK I have found him. Will take a look at him

vera

Leave a comment:

• tessie31082
    replied
    Vera, the Charles and Annie you have is my Charles! As there is a birth of a child in 1917 I now think the Charles I found on the 1939 with Sarah is not mine but the Charles who I found as single probably is

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
    Hi all, it was always my Nan's belief that one of her Grandfather's left his wife and 7 children and ran off with another woman!

Anyway, I've traced him now (I think) on the 1939 here with his 2nd 'wife' Sarah
    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...17&usePUB=true

I believe this is him as I managed to find where he is buried and his 'wife' Sarah is also in the same plot according to the records.

However, I can't find a marriage for them. I believe Sarah's MN is Butler and I have found a marriage to a Charles Lay (there is a daughter Margaret on the 1939 who I believe is from this marriage) and there is also an Edward Lee (MMN Lay though not Butler). Can anyone see a marriage for them please?

Thanks as always for your help.

Tessie
    Can't see a marriage for them. Looked for Sarah Lay to Charles E Lee.

Will you please give details of your Charles E Lee

I have been looking at a Charles E Lee m to Annie King. On his Army Record last child b 1917. Annie with son George in 1939 recorded as married. There is a death for an Annie Lee died 1961 buried at Rose Hill Cemetery, Oxford aged 83. There is also a death for Charles Edward Lay Reading Reg 1927 aged 39

So the 1939 possibly yours with Charles E Lee and Sarah Lay nee Butler

Vera

Leave a comment:

• tessie31082
    replied
    Yes they tie in, bar the year which is a year out (but I find this all the time on the 1939)!

Leave a comment:

• GallowayLass
    replied
    What age is the Sarah in the grave? Does it tie in with age on the 1939 you thought was your man and his 2nd wife?

Leave a comment:

• tessie31082
    replied
    Hi, so following on from this it seems there is another Charles Lee who is 'single' on the 1939 register (just done another search) and living in the same area with similar DOB so I think I have the wrong man!? What is the best way to identify which Charles Lee is mine? I can also only find one death in 1953 which relates to the one I have identified buried with Sarah so where is my Charles?
    Can anyone give me some pointers I'm missing or should I send off for one of the death certs?
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• tessie31082
    replied
    Hmmm I was thinking this but then he had children with his 1st wife in 1912 and 1917 unless I have gone wrong or he was a very naughty man :(

Back to the start with him I think :(

Leave a comment:

• GallowayLass
    replied
    Charles Edward Lay from index to ancestry database UK, British Army World War I Pension Records 1914-1920
    Name Charles Edward Lay
    Gender Male
    Birth Date abt 1888
    Marriage Date 6 Apr 1912
    Marriage Place St Mary's Church Reading
    Age 27
    Document Year 1915
    Residence Place Pell St, Reading
    Regimental Number 17821
    Regiment Princess Charlotte of Wales's (Royal Berkshire) Regiment
    Form Title Short Service Attestation
    Number of Images 9
    Family Members
    Charles Edward Lay Self (Head)
    Sarah Butler Spouse

Leave a comment:

• GallowayLass
    replied
    Tessie, have had a look at the index image on FMP and it’s not a very clear image. However, it’s likely the Charles and Sarah marriage you have spotted could well be the correct couple. The transcription says Charles B. Lay but the the B is not at all clear and neither are the two E for the entries below him - Ethel and Ethelbert. It would appear that the typewriter used had a rubbish E key.
    At a good zoom on my iPad, the E at Ethel and Ethelbert look to be the same letter as that used for Charles’ middle initial. It has a slight kink to the right in the upright. Compare that with the B in Ethel’s marriage place of Bolton which looks like the upright is totally straight.
    Maybe other folks with better eyesight might see something different?

UPDATE - have just had a look on ancestry. No page image which surprises me but their transcription is Charles E Lay.

Leave a comment:

• tessie31082
    started a topic Did they marry?

Did they marry?

Hi all, it was always my Nan's belief that one of her Grandfather's left his wife and 7 children and ran off with another woman!

Anyway, I've traced him now (I think) on the 1939 here with his 2nd 'wife' Sarah

I believe this is him as I managed to find where he is buried and his 'wife' Sarah is also in the same plot according to the records.

However, I can't find a marriage for them. I believe Sarah's MN is Butler and I have found a marriage to a Charles Lay (there is a daughter Margaret on the 1939 who I believe is from this marriage) and there is also an Edward Lee (MMN Lay though not Butler). Can anyone see a marriage for them please?

Thanks as always for your help.

Tessie

Working...
X