Merchant Navy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merchant Navy

This is one of the two candidates for my mother’s birth father (he’s deceased). These details have been taken from FMP’s collection Britain, Merchant Seamen 1918-1941

GLOVER, Hew (actual birth name Hugh. I have been told by family that he used to change it sometimes as he thought it looked more glam )
    Senior Warrant Officer CR10 card number of ID certificate 202389
    Near the bottom of the card is Dis.A.No.861608
    on the back of the card along with a photo are these three entries. What do they mean?

131286 11.18
    142324 1.19
    106816. 3.19

His medal card from TNA repeats the Dis.A.No.861608 and above that is W/T 2596. The ID certificate number above is also repeated but prefixed RS2. The medals were Mercantile Marine medal and British medal. The ribbons were issued to MMO Glasgow 10.10.19. On the back of the card it says application dated 16.10.19

As these two documents appear to be only relevant to WW1, where can I find a detailed log of which ships he served on after that and what dates he was either at sea or ashore?

You've probably already scoured all these links, but just in case!!

FTF Reference LIbrary: Maritime History

UPDATE: They are mostly links to other collections and I see that some need repairing.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks Caroline. Will save that for future use.

Comment

Going from memory..... the 3 sets of number's relate to the vessel and the date he served on them. When a new ship is constructed it is given an
        official number, which it retains until its loss or destruction. The 6 numbers are its number & the other numbers are month & year he served on them.
        Dis number is the sailors official number and is issued on completion of his first voyage. When searching crew lists this number will confirm you have the
        right person. As normal not all lists record them.
        Matt
        My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Just googled and found a 1915 crew list from National Maritime Museum.

Put the vessel numbers in and the only one coming up was 131286 City of Bombay. It does have a crew list but only for 1915. The other 2 aren't listed so perhaps not built then.

Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Muir View Post
            Going from memory..... the 3 sets of number's relate to the vessel and the date he served on them. When a new ship is constructed it is given an
            official number, which it retains until its loss or destruction. The 6 numbers are its number & the other numbers are month & year he served on them.
            Dis number is the sailors official number and is issued on completion of his first voyage. When searching crew lists this number will confirm you have the
            right person. As normal not all lists record them.
            Matt
            Many thanks Matt.

Comment

have you seen this his grave
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                Just googled and found a 1915 crew list from National Maritime Museum.

Put the vessel numbers in and the only one coming up was 131286 City of Bombay. It does have a crew list but only for 1915. The other 2 aren't listed so perhaps not built then.
                Many thanks Lin.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                  have you seen this
                  https://www.ancestry.co.uk/
                  ?? That just takes me to ancestry home page

Comment

have changed it look on post 7

Comment

my copy and paste isn't working again

Comment

have changed it look on post 7
                        Thanks Val. There’s nothing I don’t know already about Hew / Hugh, except where he was at the time of my mother’s conception LOL If he was at sea then he is off the hook and the only other candidate is his youngest brother.

Comment

I thought it may help to confirm if its him or not, when was the conception?
                          Dont know if you remember ? but when I got my Fathers Army records ,he was according to them in South Africa when I was conceived??????

Comment

These may be of some help, from the National Archives and the Maritime History Archive:

BT 165/1843 - Ship's Name: City of Bombay, Official Number 131286, Dates of Voyages: 7 September 1917 - 26 January 1918, 13 February 1918 - 19 June 1918, 9 September 1918 - 23 October 1918 and 3 November 1918 - 13 December 1918.

BT 165/1891 - Ship's Name: Czar, Official Number: 142324, Dates of Voyages 9 March 1918 - 12 August 1918 (2 separate logs) and 23 August 1918 - 5 December 1918

However, as Hugh/Hew’s record shows 1/19 for Czar, this may be more appropriate:
                            https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/view...cial_No=142324

BT 165/1911: Ship's Name Magician, Official Number 106816, Dates of Voyage: 20 November 1918 - 4 March 1919.
                            Also: https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/view...cial_No=106816

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                              These may be of some help, from the National Archives and the Maritime History Archive:

BT 165/1843 - Ship's Name: City of Bombay, Official Number 131286, Dates of Voyages: 7 September 1917 - 26 January 1918, 13 February 1918 - 19 June 1918, 9 September 1918 - 23 October 1918 and 3 November 1918 - 13 December 1918.

BT 165/1891 - Ship's Name: Czar, Official Number: 142324, Dates of Voyages 9 March 1918 - 12 August 1918 (2 separate logs) and 23 August 1918 - 5 December 1918

However, as Hugh/Hew’s record shows 1/19 for Czar, this may be more appropriate:
                              https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/view...cial_No=142324

BT 165/1911: Ship's Name Magician, Official Number 106816, Dates of Voyage: 20 November 1918 - 4 March 1919.
                              Also: https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/view...cial_No=106816
                              Thank you Teasie. Have added to my “to do” list.

Comment

I thought it may help to confirm if its him or not, when was the conception?
                                Dont know if you remember ? but when I got my Fathers Army records ,he was according to them in South Africa when I was conceived??????
                                Mum was born 18 October 1924. So anywhere between 11 - 25 January? I have no idea if she was early, late or bang on time. Don’t know if there’s any truth in the old adage that first babies are always late? There’s nobody to compare that with as despite her mother later marrying, she never had another child.

Comment

Working...
                                X