Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PRATT, THOMAS GEORGE HORN
    GRO Reference: 1900 J Quarter in ELHAM Volume 02A Page 1094
    1911 census, parents are Frederick, thrashing machine engine proprietor and Martha

Comment

George Day’s baptism transcription. Image is on FMP.
      George
      Day
      -
      12 May 1867
      Kings Walden
      Frederick
      Labourer
      Mary

Comment

Leaving the room. Need to eat!

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          Augusta Alice Mary Day married Thomas George Pratt 1937 3Q Elham, Kent
          1939 they were living 17 Hillside Street, Hythe, Kent.
          Thomas G Pratt 02 May 1900 Male Civilian Waiter Employed by Navy Married 159 1
          Augusta A (Alice) M Pratt 29 Jun 1897 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 159 2
          Odd that she is not mentioned by name on the deaths of the parents, she was not married at the time of her fathers death.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

Odd that she is not mentioned by name on the deaths of the parents, she was not married at the time of her fathers death.
            It is odd, I agree. Perhaps the other two sisters did not get on with her. Or maybe Augusta and her mother did not have a good relationship?

Comment

Augusta had only recently got married, maybe that had something to do with it. The two sisters living together might have thought that they were on the shelf, but in 1945 Winifred married her first cousin Charles Francis Colthup. By then they were past child rearing age.

Thanks so much for all the useful information.
              People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
              Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

and also no mention of William that Webwiz started with.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

William was part of the red herring. He was the son of the wrong Alice. "My" Alice died shortly before the 1939 register so is not in it.

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
                    William was part of the red herring. He was the son of the wrong Alice. "My" Alice died shortly before the 1939 register so is not in it.
                    I see that there is a William Colthup that was quite a leading figure in Kent, Alderman and fund raiser. Lots of newspaper reports, with that surname he may be linked.

Not the William you mentioned I don't think.

Have we found the right Alice and children?
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Yes thanks, all sorted. Alice Day nee Colthup was my 2nd cousin. The Alice I started the thread with is not related as far as I know, and the William I started with is her son. My relative Alice also had a son called William and her dates and places all matched the other Alice so I fell into a trap. Not the first time. The William you refer to was also a second cousin on a different line. Colthup is such a rare name, and as far as I know only came into existence a couple of hundred years ago as a variation of the more common Colthorpe/Calthorpe versions, that I think everyone called Colthup spelt that way must be related. I have fitted 340 into my tree and have a few dozen that I can't fit in. Of course there are more being born every year and there will be many young ones that I do not know of, but I doubt that there are many dead ones that have escaped my net. They are spread around the UK, NZ, Aus and the US. If there are any in other countries I will not know about them, apart from the odd one in France and Canada.

Comment

William Llewelyn is yours though? That was the one referring, I thought there would be mention of him and sister Augusta in the papers when parents died.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Till it was discovered that Alice had died pre 1939 register, I had been wondering if the William that was in the household was perhaps her son but using the surname of the man his mother had gone on to marry. Folks are not always honest about their age.
                          Too many George Day with wives called Alice LOL
                          Glad the right ones have been found

Comment

William Llewelyn was my Alice's but not George's. He was born 4 years before Alice married George and was brought up by her parents. I wonder whether George even knew about him. If he did not then Alice would not have been able to have much if any contact with her son, and probably her daughters were also unaware of his existence. Alice's parents predeceased her so it is likely that William did not even know that his mother had died.

I wonder if William Llewllyn's father was called Llewellyn, but I can't find any trace of a man with that name in the vicinity at the time. I have heard of "bastardy bonds" but I know nothing about them or whether they can be accessed on line. If anyone does .......

Comment

I have seen some as part of the court records on ancestry. Not sure how they work, presumably the mother has to instigate the case. might depend what whether Kent have their records online?
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Have you thought of getting his will, it might make mention of his sisters, for £1.50 might be worth it.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Good idea. I have ordered it. ETA 17th Oct.

Comment

yes he did one:
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Just to conclude, no mention of his half sisters in his will so another indication that he possibly either did not know of them or was estranged from them

Comment

that is a shame that there was no nugget of information. I cant remember if the sisters had wills?
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X