No announcement yet.

Can you help untangle this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see there is a George Day death in Uckfield and also an Alice in 1937 could this be them

Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Also the 2 daughters are on 1939 reg together in East Grinstead
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Getting somewhere at last. I think this is the probate entry for the William Day that Alice was living with in 1939. Address matches. Worth paying the £1.50 for the will. Looks like 3 men in the family as executors along with a solicitor. He was worth a lot for 1963. Just over £2.8 million today.

AD5BE2E1-5E91-4AF0-A4FA-8C092536BE6E.jpeg

Comment

There are too many possibilities for an Edward Day but these two are the right men for the executors. Both are deceased .
          Alfred E A Day
          Apr 1920
          [May 1920]
          [Jun 1920]
          Apr-May-Jun
          Hollingbourn
          Kent
          Tassell
          2a
          DAY, FRANK MERCER BOORMAN
          GRO Reference: 1909 S Quarter in MAIDSTONE Volume 02A Page 873

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
            Getting somewhere at last. I think this is the probate entry for the William Day that Alice was living with in 1939. Address matches. Worth paying the £1.50 for the will. Looks like 3 men in the family as executors along with a solicitor. He was worth a lot for 1963. Just over £2.8 million today.

AD5BE2E1-5E91-4AF0-A4FA-8C092536BE6E.jpeg
            I think it isn't the right Day family. Vera has found out it is Alice and her son.

I am thinking Alice had already died before 1939, her 2 daughters are living together which may indicate that parents have died?
            31 Durkins Rd East Grinstead https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...18?pId=3613033

I can't see any reg of electors for that area.
            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 29-09-20, 22:24.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

Alfred’s own probate
              DAY ALFRED EDWARD ALAN 26 January 2009 2938346 24 October 2008 Grant and will Brighton

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

I think it isn't the right Day family. Vera has found out is is Alice and he son.

I am thinking Alice had already died before 1939, her 2 daughters are living together which may indicate that parents have died?
                31 Durkins Rd East Grinstead https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...18?pId=3613033

Drat and double drat! Had better give up for the night as I’m on the wrong track.

Comment

This is a little embarrassing, sorry for leading you up the garden path. I am fairly sure that this is Alice nee Colthup in 1939. I did not expect to find her in Hackney but the date of birth is right:
                  Alice M Day
                  In 1939 Register of England & Wales
                  Gender Female
                  Birth Nov 23 1863
                  Residence Sep 29 1939
                  71, Trehurst Street, Hackney, London, England
                  Age 75
                  Marital status Widowed
                  Occupation Unpaid Domestic Duties
                  Census
                  District Hackney TNA Reference RG101/0209I/007/9
                  County London Piece 0209I
                  Country England Item # 007
                  Date Sep 29 1939 Line 9
                  Schedule 94

Possible death:
                  Deaths Jun 1953
                  DAY Alice M 89 Maidstone 5b 523
                  People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                  Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

It does seem quite a common name - so maybe not her either.
                    Where and when did George die?
                    Do you have any addresses for them after 1911?

I did have a look in the papers didn't find much - the 2 sisters in East Grinstead went to several funerals in early 40s, and got a mention as they left flowers!
                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 30-09-20, 08:22.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

I think this is your Alice, as too many names are the same:
                      Sevenoaks Chronicle and Kentish Advertiser 10 December 1937

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 09.40.14.png

Although not sure why other daughter is not mentioned

​​​​​​DAY, ALICE MARIA 74
                      GRO Reference: 1937 D Quarter in UCKFIELD Volume 02B Page 189
                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 30-09-20, 08:44.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

date of death here 1937:

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 09.46.22.png
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Maybe George?
                          DAY, GEORGE 68
                          GRO Reference: 1935 S Quarter in UCKFIELD Volume 02B Page 165
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

newspaper report same address
                            Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 09.58.16.png
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

I think it isn't the right Day family. Vera has found out it is Alice and her son.

Just had a look at the 1939 for the two daughters. Spotted that Winifred is listed as later marrying a Colthup ! (Charles F Colthup 1945 4Q Uckfield)
                              Last edited by GallowayLass; 30-09-20, 09:16.

Comment

I saw that she married a Colthup, is it a cousin?

Maybe I have not found the right ones at all, it seems odd that augusta not mentioned in papers, she, I think is in Kent. Maybe Webwiz has a few more details.

names all seem to match including Alice middle name of Maria
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

This is likely him. He’s the only pre 1915 Charles with a middle initial F.
                                  COLTHUP, CHARLES FRANCIS WHALEY
                                  GRO Reference: 1894 D Quarter in BRIDGE Volume 02A Page 791

Comment

I have found George and Alice’s marriage certificate on FMP. My sub ran out a couple of days ago. Just back up and running this morning. The first witness confirms the Fitzjohn family connection.

23 December 1893 in the parish church of Harpenden, Hertfordshire
                                    George Day age 26 bachelor, gardener, residing Harpenden. Father Frederick Day, labourer
                                    Alice Maria Colthup age 30, spinster, domestic servant, residing Harpenden. Father Henry Colthup, builder
                                    Witnesses James Fitzjohn and Emma Day.

There is also a certificate of banns. Read on 3rd, 10th and 17th December. They were both “of this parish”.

Comment

Charles Francis Colthup was baptised 25 November 1894 at St John the Baptist, Barham, Kent. Son of Charles William Colthup, carpenter, residing Barham and his wife Elizabeth Frances.

Parents married 4Q 1890 Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.

Comment

Here’s a name we’ve had before. This is from the results of public trees on ancestry. The year of marriage is out by one

Charles William COLTHUP
                                        Born 1866 Tilmanstone Kent England
                                        Marriage 1891
                                        1911 Derringstone Kent England
                                        Died 03/1944 Barham Kent England
                                        Father Henry [Colthup] COLTRUP(1840-1923)
                                        Mother Emily Philadelphia WALRAVEN(1840-1925)
                                        Spouse Elizabeth Frances WHALEY(1866-1944

Comment

Augusta Alice Mary Day married Thomas George Pratt 1937 3Q Elham, Kent
                                          1939 they were living 17 Hillside Street, Hythe, Kent.
                                          Thomas G Pratt 02 May 1900 Male Civilian Waiter Employed by Navy Married 159 1
                                          Augusta A (Alice) M Pratt 29 Jun 1897 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 159 2

Comment

Working...
                                          X